In this episode of the Executive Innovation Show Podcast, Carrie Chitsey speaks with John Reaves Whitaker, VP of Talent Acquisition & Retention at Dental One Partners and Brad Goldoor, Chief People Officer of Phenom People.
Brad Goldoor is co-founder and Chief People Officer for Phenom People, where he oversees Phenom’s signature “not normal” hiring, onboarding, and employee engagement initiatives. He specializes in startups and has over 25 years of experience in channel sales, digital advertising, and People operations.
John Reeves Whitaker is the SVP & Chief People Officer for Sage Dental Management. He is a featured contributor on FistfulOfTalent and The HR Exchange Network & actively working on his next book, “We’re All Millennials.”
Listen as we discuss the following topics:
- We talk with Brad Goldoor about talent experience management and what it means to Phenom People to solve the candidate experience problem. How is Phenom People’s talent experience software much more than an ATS (applicant tracking system)?
- To prioritize retention and attrition, what does Phenom People do that is extremely special for new employees on their first day?
- What are the key factors that are driving high attrition rates within organizations? Carrie and Brad breakdown what they believe contribute to high attrition rates among employees. Hear why it starts with the recruitment process.
- How do you make sure your recruiters are looking past the fill rate? Phenom People measures their recruiters on employee engagement rather than fill rate. What are some of the 20 data points he uses? Listen to find out.
- For HR leaders, how do you get buy-in from the C-level to change the way your current Human Resources department operates?
- Listen to what problems and demands that are keeping Brad up at night. One of those issues is upskill training. He states “Are we providing an environment to help nurture people's skills and careers so that they have a path toward the future?”.
- Fill rate vs retention, which one should be the most important to your recruiters? We talk with John Reaves Whitaker about how he has abandoned fill rate metrics and looks to incentivize recruiters based on retention. He explains how the retention rate helped his HR department take ownership that helped the recruiting team recruit differently.
- In areas like healthcare where the unemployment rate is less than 1%, John talks about what moves you must make to find the right talent for the job. He suggests that by only targeting jobs boards and job ads, you aren’t doing enough. In today’s candidate-driven market, you have to be smarter.
- Is the role of the recruiter more digital marketing to reach a passive talent pool?
- As we continue to look past fill rate and build effective relationships to increase employee retention and attrition, John discusses some of the practices that he uses with his recruitment team to enhance the relationship with new employees.
- John gives his advice to other HR leaders on how not to make retention and attrition an afterthought with this awesome Texas expression, “You can’t cool down the room if the windows are still open”.
Keep up with Brad Goldoor at PhenomPeople.com and their journey in talent management experience.
With his new book coming soon, “We’re All Millennials”, John gives us a prelude of what to expect.
Download the White Paper mentioned in the podcast, "Reach & Recruit a Passive Front-Line Talent Pool"
Support the show