The Executive Innovation Show
Chronic Disease Management & Palliative Care: Virtual Care vs Hospice Care
Apr 07, 2020
Read the blog here.
Welcome to the Executive Innovation Show Podcast, brought to you by One Touch Telehealth. During this podcast, host Carrie Chitsey talks with Dr. Tim Ihrig and Kim Kuebler.
Timothy Ihrig, M.D., M.A. is Chief Medical Officer at Crossroads Hospice and Palliative Care. He is the founder and CEO of Ihrig MD & Associates.
Dr. Kim Kuebler is the Founder and Director of the Multiple Chronic Conditions Resource Center, highlighted by the U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services for providing interdisciplinary resources to improve care for the largest and fastest-growing U.S. patient populations.
Listen to this episode of The Executive Innovation Show Podcast as we discuss:
- Today we talk with two doctors who are on the front lines of palliative and hospice care, Dr. Tim Ihrig and Dr. Kim Kuebler. With more seniors looking to age at home, how has this changed the industry? Listen to this in-depth conversation about the future of palliative care and how virtual care is making a huge impact.
- Should we be thinking about the end of life palliative and hospice care as separate or the same? What’s the difference?
- Listen as Dr. Tim Ihrig of Crossroads Hospice and Palliative Care details his sentiments on “stealing hope” from patients.
- Are we selling false dreams to patients? How can doctors do a better job of helping a patient receive a higher quality of life other than aggressive treatments that will hinder their ability to live?
- What question should doctors be asking to make sure that the patient has a good quality of life? Dr. Ihrig states that “We should stop focusing so much on that endpoint and shift it and say, how do you want to live?".
- He expresses that we should be moving away from healthcare reform and talk about how we can reform care. Dr. Ihrig believes that it starts with honest conversations, empowering people to ask questions, shifting the narrative.
- Dr. Kim Kuebler has worked both on the chronic disease and pain management sides of healthcare. How does pain management fit in with palliative care? She breaks down some insightful statistics about chronic pain management across the country today.
- What is the difference between palliative care and hospice care?
- Should palliative care start when the patient has been diagnosed with a chronic disease?
- Can technology help transform pain management programs in the future? How can primary care physicians implement remote monitoring plans with technology like telehealth that helps decrease overall health care costs and improve patient care?
- As more patients get access to their health information, how is the conversation changing with their doctors?
- As always, we ask these healthcare executives what is keeping them up at night. Listen to their answers here.
Keep up with Dr. Tim Ihrig by connecting on LinkedIn.
Get more resources on pain management from Dr. Kim Klueber and Multiple Chronic Conditions Resource Center.
Learn more about One Touch Telehealth and how telehealth can help providers improve access to care for patients with chronic conditions. Download our “What Is Telehealth?" White Paper to learn more.
Support the show (http://www.helpinghumans.care)