Tech Won't Save Us
VCs Want to Disrupt the Media w/ Eoin Higgins
June 24, 2021
Paris Marx, Eoin Higgins
Paris Marx is joined by Eoin Higgins to discuss why tech companies and venture capital firms are launching their own media verticals, what Marc Andreessen hopes to get out of Clubhouse and Substack, and why Jeff Bezos may have a better approach to media.
Eoin Higgins is a freelance journalist and writes on Substack under The Flashpoint. Follow Eoin on Twitter as @EoinHiggins_.
🚨✉️ Tech Won’t Save Us has a weekly critical tech newsletter called ⚒️ THE HAMMER ⚒️. Sign up here: http://eepurl.com/hzC9fj
Tech Won’t Save Us offers a critical perspective on tech, its worldview, and wider society with the goal of inspiring people to demand better tech and a better world. Follow the podcast (@techwontsaveus) and host Paris Marx (@parismarx) on Twitter, and support the show on Patreon.
Find out more about Harbinger Media Network at harbingermedianetwork.com.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Eoin wrote about what venture capital firms are doing in media and Marc Andreessen’s favoriting of alt-right tweets.
- In 2016, Marc Andreessen wrote a tweet about colonialism in India that received a lot of backlash.
- Coinbase started a “media arm” to “become a source of truth” in the face of critical reporting.
- Anna Wiener recently wrote about how tech may be shifting from a narrative of disruption to one of building institutions (to serve themselves).
- Sam Harnett critically examined tech journalism and its history, especially with regard to reporting on the gig economy.
- Zoe Schiffer and Megan Farokhmanesh detailed how venture capitalists used Clubhouse to organize against critical coverage of the industry and go after journalists like Taylor Lorenz.
- Ed Zitron wrote about how tech journalism’s shift from an enthusiast press to an industrial press was something venture capitalists and powerful people in the industry were not happy about.
Support the show (https://patreon.com/techwontsaveus)