Welcome to Bluffton, South Carolina, the "Heart of the Lowcountry!" The area was first settled by Europeans in the late 1720s to build plantations, but the town was not incorporated until 1852. In the early 1800s, the first homes were built by plantation owners to escape from the unhealthy conditions on the rice and cotton plantations. Situated on a bluff overlooking the May River, the location also provided water access. The town quickly became a stop over for travelers between Savannah and Beaufort. The town thrived until the Civil War. Union troops destroyed much of the town in June of 1863 leaving only two churches and fifteen residences standing. Eighteen antebellum homes and two churches still stand in the town's historic district. The town struggled to recover after the Civil War and did not find its footing again until after the development of nearby vacation destination Hilton Head Island and Sun City. The town now has a thriving historic district and was recognized as a Preserve America community in 2005. The town has now become a tourist destination in its own right. We hope you enjoy our visit to Bluffton!