Welcome to Lewes, Delaware, the first city in the first state! Located in southern Delaware on the Delaware Bay in Sussex County, Lewes was the site of the first European settlement in Delaware. Originally settled by the Dutch in 1631 and named Zwaanendael, the colony was wiped out by the Lenape in 1632. A second attempt was made in 1663 by the Dutch, but the settlement was razed by the by the English in 1664. After one more failed attempt by the Dutch, the English settled the area and established the town that would ultimately become Lewes. The town has become a vacation spot popular with residents of nearby Washington, DC. Lewes is also home to one of nine remaining American lightships. Lightships were used as floating lighthouses in areas that weren't suitable for lighthouse construction. Lewes has been called home by six of Delaware governors, more than any other town in the state. We hope you enjoy our trip to this awesome town! Apologies for our constant slaughtering of the the town name, which should be pronounced the same as Lewis.