Dr. Tara Egan, host
Anna, teen co-host
In today's episode, Tara and Anna dive into the world of Snapchat. All kids and teens seem to love this social media app and at the time of this recording there 280 million users. It is the most popular social media app among teens. Since it is such an important part of kids lives, they decided to dedicate an entire show to it and discuss "What Parents Need to Know About Snapchat."
Tune in and learn:
- The features of Snapchat and the differences between saving of texts and images
- About the Snapchat folder and My Eyes Only, what parents need to be aware of and look for, and especially create some boundaries around
- The benefits for kids.
- Controversial features.
- What is a Snap Score?
- What Snap Map is, how dangerous it can be, what to look out for, and what standards parents need to set right away. (BTW, this is my least favorite feature of the app!)
- What is a Snapchat Story, how kids use it.
- That time limits are available for parents to administer.
- How "streaks" is used and the stress it can cause for kids and can consume them and make them feel pressure, anxiety, and compulsive thinking.
- How the Discover feature can influence kids and parents should be aware of.
- There is a feature for Snap Cash to exchange money, how it is an avenue for drug dealers.
I encourage parents to download the app and listen to this and learn more about what your kids are looking at and experiencing.
To learn more about Dr. Tara Egan's child & adolescent therapy services, visit HERE.
Learn more about Dr. Tara Egan's books, webinars, public speaking opportunities, and coaching/consultation services RIGHT HERE.
To learn more about Dr. Egan's online mini-course called "Managing Your Family's Technology and Social Media", created to help parents eliminate power struggles, keep your family safe from internet misuse, and reconnect with your family, go HERE.
To join our private FB group for parents of high schoolers and soon-to-be high schoolers, visit HERE.
To join us on Instagram, visit HERE.
Podcast edited by Christian Fox