Dr. Tara Egan, host
Anna, teen co-host
Tara Laymon, Board Certified Behavior Analyst - guest expert
Tara and Anna are so excited to host their special guest today, Tara Laymon. Tara is a senior director of clinical services at A Bridge to Achievement, an autism treatment program that utilizes Applied Behavior Analysis therapy to increase behaviors that are helpful and decrease behaviors that are harmful or impact learning. More specifically, Tara specializes in behavior reduction and tolerance building. She talks with us today about "Using ABA therapy to support autistic youth."
Tara sets the stage by giving listeners a brief description of Autism Spectrum Disorder and some general information about how it impacts the behavior and emotions of a person with an ASD diagnosis. We learn that autism looks very different in each individual.
ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis) therapy is a primary treatment modality used for children with an Autism diagnosis.
Tune in to learn:
- What ABA therapy is and what type of training ABA therapists have.
- What are some of the most common behavioral goals of her clients, seeing that each session looks different?
- The types of behaviors this therapy is typically trying to reduce or extinguish.
- The types of behaviors this therapy is seeking to increase.
- How do you increase motivation in the client?
- Who is providing the therapy and where are they working with the client?
- How does a parent know if their child is in need of ABA therapy? How do they go about finding more about this service in their area?
-The controversy around using ABA therapy, with some autistic people and what Tara's viewpoint and experience is as a provider.
-Advice for parents who have autistic children. Any questions or extra support, please reach out the me at [email protected]
To learn more about Dr. Tara Egan's child & adolescent therapy services, visit HERE.
Learn more about Dr. Tara Egan's books, webinars, public speaking opportunities, and coaching/consultation services RIGHT HERE.
To join our private FB group for parents of high schoolers and soon-to-be high schoolers, visit HERE.
To join us on Instagram, visit HERE.
To learn more about Dr. Egan's online mini-course called "Managing Your Family's Technology and Social Media", created to help parents eliminate power struggles, keep your family safe from internet misuse, and reconnect with your family, go HERE.
Podcast edited by Christian Fox