Dr. Tara Egan, host
Anna, teen co-host
Breta Collins, LMFT - guest expert
In this POWERFUL episode, Tara and Anna welcome Breta Collins, LMFT in Charlotte, NC. Breta's specialty is focused on researched based therapy for couples and men. She is here today to share her expertise and experience, and talk about "Understanding and Surviving a Relationship with Someone with Narcissistic Traits."
Tara has wanted to do a show on narcissistic traits and how they affect our relationships for a while now. She really wanted to tap into a more research and evidenced based focused discussion rather then talk about it in a casual way, as it often is discussed. They are super excited to have Breta join the conversation.
So tune in and learn:
- That all of us have some narcissistic traits and there is a difference between having traits and having an actual personality disorder.
- What are those differences and how they show up in a person and in relationships.
-Characteristics of someone with a personality disorder.
- The importance of knowing what can you can control, making sure you don't get involved with someone like that again, what is your role going forward in this relationship?
- It is NOT PERSONAL.
- What causes narcissism?
- How children are impacted and are they more at-risk of showing these traits as well?
- That narcissistic abuse is very different than domestic violence.
- How to start the process to make things better.
- Quora online discussion forum
- "Rethinking Narcissism" by Dr. Craig Malkin
- "One Mom's Battle" Facebook Page and Book
To learn more about Breta's services go to www.dilworthcounseling.com/.
Learn more about Dr. Tara Egan's books, webinars, public speaking opportunities, and coaching/consultation services RIGHT HERE.
To learn more about Dr. Tara Egan's child & adolescent therapy services, visit HERE.
To join our private FB group for parents of high schoolers and soon-to-be high schoolers, visit HERE.
To join us on Instagram, visit HERE.
To learn more about Dr. Egan's online mini-course called "Managing Your Family's Technology and Social Media", created to help parents eliminate power struggles, keep your family safe from internet misuse, and reconnect with your family, go HERE.
Podcast edited by Christian Fox