In this episode of Deep Questions I answer reader questions about my daily routine, restarting a deep work practice, and embracing digital minimalism during a pandemic, among other topics.
To submit your own questions, sign up for my mailing list at calnewport.com. You can submit audio questions at https://www.speakpipe.com/CalNewport
Please consider subscribing (which helps iTunes rankings) and leaving a review or rating (which helps new listeners decide to try the show).
Thanks to our sponsor to Grammarly. For 20% off Grammarly Premium go to Grammarly.com/DEEP. Use your laptop or desktop (this link doesn't always work on phones).
Here’s the full list of topics tackled in today’s episode along with the timestamps:
* My daily routine. [3:56]
* Ensuring employees are working deeply at home [9:09]
* Keeping a to-do list constantly open. [12:18]
* The best way to start deep working. [14:31]
* Advice for someone just starting a job [22:38]
* Restarting research after a stint in an administrative position. [32:01]
* Speed reading versus strategic skimming. [39:05]
* The cost of occasional hyper-distraction [41:00]
* Thoughts on Reddit and Quora. [45:35]
BACKSTAGE PASS [50:17]
DEEP LIFE QUESTIONS
* Digital minimalism versus Covid-19. [58:05]
* Struggling to find time for depth. [1:06:52]
* Strategies for transitioning to a deep life. [1:12:48]
Thanks to listener Jay Kerstens for the intro music.