Below are the questions covered in today's episode (with their timestamps). For instructions on submitting your own questions, go to calnewport.com/podcast.
DEEP DIVE: How Can I Significantly Reduce Email? [6:30]
DEEP WORK QUESTIONS:
- How do I account for transition time between time blocks? [20:20]
- Rant Alert: How do I creeping combat corporate complexity?[21:58]
- How do I identify processes to optimize? [29:58]
- How much should one rely on technology to think? [33:10]
- How important is memorization in deep work? [36:07]
- Should I move to Sweden or make more money? [38:09]
- Should I take a promotion that requires lots of shallow work? [46:50]
DEEP LIFE QUESTIONS:
- Would people use Facebook if it cost money? [52:54]
- Do you (Cal) identify with philosophy of Ayn Rand? [57:56]
- How do you balance discipline and enjoyment in leisure? [59:03]
- What's the best way to prioritize which books to read? [1:03:18]
Thanks to Jay Kerstens for the intro music.