Below are the questions covered in today's episode (with their timestamps). For instructions on submitting your own questions, go to calnewport.com/podcast.
BOOK REPORT: The Square and the Tower [3:6]
DEEP WORK QUESTIONS
- What should I do if I like my job but dislike the industry? [11:41]
- How hard should I push back against a shallow company culture? [16:15]
- Is productivity only for people with certain personality types? [25:05]
- What is the best strategy for an aspiring academic? [27:30]
- Should I ask experts or learn on my own? [29:23]
- Can you tell me more about the CIA's mail tubes? [34:45]
- How do I get on the New York Times bestseller list? [40:36]
DEEP LIFE QUESTIONS
- Is there value in keeping a daily record of significant activity? [49:50]
- Can I pursue the deep life if I have mental health issues? [56:06]
- Are there wrong ways to pursue the deep life? [1:00:22]
- How much time do I (Cal) spend reading? [1:04:09]
Thanks to Jay Kerstens for the intro music and Mark Miles for mastering.