Below are the questions covered in today's episode (with their timestamps). For instructions on submitting your own questions, go to calnewport.com/podcast.
DEEP DIVE: My October reading list [1:49]
DEEP WORK QUESTIONS:
- How do you avoid burn out from deep work? [11:55]
- Are your (Cal's) systems for tracking deep work and for tracking GTD projects independent? [13:59]
- Does studying “on the go” incur cognitive burden? [18:07]
- What category of things do you track on your (Cal's) Trello boards? [26:42]
- What skills are most important for an undergraduate looking to become a professor? [32:12]
DEEP LIFE QUESTIONS:
- What would you recommend to a doctoral student without a mentor? [36:53]
- How do you balance physical and digital tools in productivity? [39:16]
- Do you suggest reading for quality or quantity with non-fiction books? [41:34]
- How do you apply your ideas to make sure your family can pursue a deeper life? [43:25]
- Is the deep life compatible with helping humanity? [48:27]
Thanks to Jay Kerstens for the intro music and Mark Miles for mastering.