Below are the questions covered in today's episode (with their timestamps). For instructions on submitting your own questions, go to calnewport.com/podcast.
DEEP DIVE: How do I tame email? [9:51]
DEEP WORK QUESTIONS:
- How to accomplish deep work in the context of meeting overload? [29:09]
- What is difference between the productivity funnel and capture/configure/control? [36:06]
- Do you (Cal) have a filing system for emails? [40:18]
- What time blocking granularity is best? [42:53]
- How do you (Cal) manage projects vs tasks on your board system? [44:52]
DEEP LIFE QUESTIONS:
- How does one get a sense of satisfaction from goals that continue ad infinitum? [50:33]
- How soon after the birth of a child is it realistic to start employing time blocking? [55:29]
- How should one combine having young children and pursuing newfound ambitions? [59:24]
- How should I think about career capital when taking time off to be a stay-at-home parent? [1:03:19]
Thanks to Jesse Miller for production, Jay Kerstens for the intro music, and Mark Miles for mastering.