The Leading Lawyer Project with Sam Burrett
E10: The Opportunity in the Crisis - George Beaton, Founder of Beaton
August 04, 2020
Will the traditional law firm survive the COVID crisis? Could law firms make more money if they only charged fixed-fees?
I was over the moon to speak with George Beaton for this week's episode. George is one of the foremost thinkers in the legal industry and I've learned so much from reading his work.
In this episode we speak about:
- George's journey from Medicine in South Africa to law professor and legal leader in Australia;
- How the COVID crisis will impact law firms;
- What top lawyers are doing to mitigate the impacts of COVID;
- COVID has been a "managing partner's gift from heaven" to make necessary changes;
- Technology implementation in law firms over the next few years;
- The difference between NewLaw and BigLaw;
- Reducing fixed-costs in law firms to drive profits;
- Law firms exiting their leases as a result of COVID;
- The impact of increasing consumer sovereignty on legal businesses;
- Lawyers are now leaders, not just practitioners;
- What is holding the legal industry back;
- Where lawyers can find more information about NewLaw and the future of law.
You can find more about George and Beaton here: