The Leading Lawyer Project with Sam Burrett
E17: How COVID Is Creating Opportunities for NewLaw Firms and Boutique Firms To Grow and Evolve - Damian Sturzaker, Partner at Marque Lawyers
September 14, 2020
What is the advantage NewLaw and Boutique firms have over top-tier traditional firms?
What will be the impact of COVID-19 on lawyers and law firms?
Why are firms like Marque Lawyers so important to the progression of the legal profession?
In this week's episode of The Leading Lawyer Project, I had the pleasure of speaking with Damian Sturzaker, a Partner and co-founder of Marque Lawyers, one of Sydney's leading boutique firms.
Damian is a well-recognised expert in commercial litigation, one of Australia’s Top Lawyers according to the Australian Financial Review, a Professorial Fellow in International Arbitration at the University of New South Wales AND a medallist in the Javelin at the Australian Master's Games.
In this episode of The Leading Lawyer Project, we discuss:
- How Marque Lawyers baked value-based billing into their business model from the beginning;
- What it means to be a value-based firm;
- Why timesheets and hourly-billing can bring out bad behaviour in lawyers;
- What law firms can learn from the Global Financial Crisis as they face down the COVID crisis;
- Why it's important to be more human for your clients;
- The challenge for New Law/Boutique firms as they move to remote working;
- The impacts of COVID on Marque Lawyers;
- How to drive client loyalty during the pandemic;
- Professional development and career-building in the New Normal;
- Why top-tier firms are chasing the innovations pioneered by Marque Lawyers and others;
- Why timesheets hamper diversity and inclusion in law firms;
Some of my favourite quotes from this episode:
- "It's a privilege to work in an area you love and with people who are at the top of their game"
- "Success is to create a truly multi-generational firm - a thing that will survive us."
- "I want to demonstrate to my kids that you should want to go to work - you genuinely feel like this is something you enjoy and something that adds purpose to your life."
You can find more about Damian and Marque Lawyers here: