The Inspiring Conversations Podcast
Amanda Bleakley-Executive Director And Paige Powell-Programming Director-The Paseo Arts Association
Oct 03, 2017
Real, Meaningful Conversations From The Real World
In this episode, Jeff sits down with Amanda Bleakley and Paige Powell of the Paseo Arts Association to hear about what makes The Paseo Arts District so unique.
One of the things that makes this area very special and unique is that it is the only place in the OKC metro area where people can park their car and walk from one gallery to another and see many diverse types of art while also having the opportunity to actually meet some of the artists and to be able to visit with them about their work.
Also, there are also numerous opportunities to see some of the artists working in their studios.
This area really has a very distinct and genuine feel of a neighborhood as many people know each other and really provides the feeling of a true community.
As we continue, Amanda shares an overview of what the District is like for those who haven't been there before.
We then hear from Amanda and Paige also share information about the various events that take place there:
1. First Friday Gallery Walk and different exhibits each month in the Association's own Art Space. This coming First Friday is themed "Pets On Paseo" on October 6th
2. The Annual Paseo Arts Festival that happens every Memorial Day Weekend
3. The Paseo Feast, which is on October 10th, which is a program that includes dinner at Picasso Cafe and that allows people who purchase a ticket to attend this event to vote for their favorite proposal to receive funding from ticket sale proceeds from amongst several that are submitted by various groups for different community art projects
4. Magic Lantern, which is a children's program that is coming up October 29th.
5. Fairy Ball, which is another children's creative imagination-based event that happens every summer.
6. They also partner with Edgemere Elementary School to provide a Hip Hop class for kids on the area as well.
7. SPACE-They partner with the Skirvin Hotel for this project, which is the Skirvin Paseo Artist Creativity Exposition, and it provides a one year residency for a selected artist to create and exhibit their work there, which is accessible to people visiting the hotel and open to people who work or are visiting the area.
8. Their annual awards program, which is open to the public, is hosted by The Skirvin Hotel, and tickets are 75 dollars apiece.
We also welcome Collin Rosebrook, the owner of Paseo Pottery, who has operated his business in The Paseo Arts District for 27 years and who is also the Chair of this coming annual Paseo Arts Festival.
We hear from him about the important fact that the artists who have entries in the competitions are actually judged by their peers, who are also professional artists who work in same particular medium in which they work.
He also speaks to how unique and how meaningful it is that people have the opportunity to meet and get to know the actual artists who created many of the pieces that are purchased in the District.
We wrap things up with Amanda talking about how attending a First Friday Gallery Walk is a great way to experience the District for the first time and how people can return to see these exhibits all month long in an unhurried and relaxed manner if they want to.
The Paseo Arts Association
Oklahoma City, OK. 73103