Speaker 2: Overcome the difficulties and how and why difficult like they could overcome breakfast specificity show. It's really all about transition to everyone who wants to expand it and what they did to get there. As such, while the focus is on LGBTQ journeys, I want to share the stories of all people who have found their way to success. My hope is to have this platform for all of us to be together while listening to successful stories, amazing life experiences, inspirational journeys, as well as having good laughs and lots of smiles.
Speaker: Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce you to something quite extraordinary? It's the Breakfast with Tiffany Show podcast. And now it is with great pleasure that I introduce you to your host, Tiffany Rossdale.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Breakfast with Tiffany Show. I'm your host, Tiffany Rossdale, and we're back on another episode of the show. And today we have not just one, but two amazing guests on the show. And today's episode is very, very special because we are joined by two remarkable storytellers whose work has quietly reshaped the landscape of queer cinema in Asia. Our first guest is Ray Jung, an acclaimed Hong Kong filmmaker and screenwriter known for telling LGBTQ stories with rare sensitivity, honesty, and restraint. A former lawyer-turned filmmaker, Ray later earned his MFA from Columbia University and has since built a body of work that centers emotional truth over spectacle and humanity over headlines. His films have given visibility to queer lives often left unseen, especially older LGBTQ communities navigating love, family, and societal silence. His widely celebrated features, Suk Suk, Twilight's Kiss, touch audiences around the world. And his latest film, All Shall Be Well, premiered at the Berlinal Panorama, where it won the prestigious Teddy Award, one of the highest honors in queer cinema. And joining him today is Patra Ow, an extraordinary actress whose performances have become deeply intertwined with Ray's cinematic universe. Patra is a central figure in All Shall Be Well, where her portrayal of a woman confronting love, loss, and legal invisibility is both devastating and quietly powerful. Patra brings her rare emotional precision to the screen, embodying characters with restraint, dignity, and profound inner life. Together, Ray and Patra have created work that doesn't ask for attention but earns it, inviting audiences to sit with difficult questions about love, recognition, and what it truly means to be seen. It is such an honor to welcome Ray Jung and Patra O to the show. Hi, Ray. Hi, Patra. Welcome to Breakfast Tiffany Show. Hi, hi. Thank you both for your time. I'm really excited. Uh, and I just want to give a little bit backstory to our listeners that I recently met you both during your screening of the film here in Tokyo. We had such great conversations that I would love to bring it to the podcast. Um, I always ask my guests about their morning motivation or their morning rituals. To you, Ray and Patra, what motivates you to wake up in the morning before you start your day, Patra?
Speaker 3: Well, for me, I always look forward to, you know, a good sleep. And then when I wake up, if I slept a very good sleep last night, I would be very happy, and then I would go on to my usual routine, like doing exercise, breakfast, and uh doing my face with the honey thing, you know, the woman thing.
Speaker 2: Well, wait, I'm I'm intrigued about the honey. What was that how you put honey on your face?
Speaker 3: Well, the honey putting honey on my face, I saw it on uh YouTube one time that it's gonna keep your moisture in, you know, and that's how I started. Oh, okay so I I think it's no harm done. Okay. The honey is a natural thing and it's uh inexpensive. If it doesn't work, it's not gonna hurt. So I started using it and that has become part of my routine.
Speaker 2: Oh, amazing. And plus you can you're not just like, you know, uh maybe after you you can also taste it while you're on your face. I'm not gonna eat my face. Thank you for sharing, Patrick. How about your race?
Speaker 1: Oh, uh not as interesting, I'm afraid. Uh when I get up in the morning, usually I just have a cup of coffee, uh, check my mail, uh, emails and uh WhatsApp messages, uh always a lot. And then I will put it aside, have breakfast, and then prepare myself to face the emails and uh WhatsApp messages.
Speaker 2: And how about when what what when you when you wake up in the morning, what really motivates you to, okay, I'm gonna wake up and you know, like I'll do the work, I'll do all these things, uh the things that you normally do. What what what is it that motivates you?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's just exciting anyway. Every day I think, you know, uh I sleep next to the window. So uh in the morning I usually draw the curtains and look at the sky outside. And if it's a sunny day and you feel that, oh wow, you know, it's another sunny day, it's uh so nice. And if it's a cloudy or rainy day, then you go, oh, okay. So today is something that I can spend a little bit more time at home and maybe uh do a little bit more introverted stuff, like reading or uh actually thinking, meditating.
Speaker 2: I love that. Thank you for sharing, Ray. I usually do my fireside chat at the very end of the interview. But today I want to do it a little bit different. So since we're having fun, having the conversation, I wanted to do a fireside chat where um whatever comes to your mind, you don't have to think um uh deeply about it. Like whatever um whatever comes in your mind is the best answer and first word or phrase that you can only give. Are you guys ready? Okay. Uh first question one word for this season of your life.
Speaker 4: The season of season. Meanwhile winter or season.
Speaker 2: No, I mean like this season of your life. This season, um Oh, oh, the stage. Yes, the stage of your life. What what what word do you think? You can you can describe it.
Speaker 3: For me, it's um content. I'm quite content.
Speaker 2: I love that. To be able to go to that word content is wow, like amazing word. What about you, Ray?
Speaker 1: Uh, I've been motivated.
Speaker 2: Hmm, nice word too. I love that. Okay, second question. A feeling you're carrying quietly.
Speaker 3: Um at this point, uh, although I'm content at this stage of my life, I would say anger.
Speaker 2: Quietly.
Speaker 3: Quietly, yeah, because there's so much happening in the world that uh we cannot control, and yet you f you feel the uh uh the anger boiling in, but there's nothing you can do, so you might as well just suppress it and enjoy the contentment that you are feeling now.
Speaker 2: I love that. Thank you for sharing Patra. What about you, Ray?
Speaker 1: Uh I think uh frustration uh to a certain extent, I think I share with uh Patra's uh feelings because uh again, you know, uh in Hong Kong and outside as well, all over the world, there are a lot of uh things going on that um you feel, oh wow my god, I didn't know things like that could happen. So yeah.
Speaker 2: I love I love I love both your answer. Like I think I could resonate with that too. Like, you know, um even though we want to be, you know, like oh, like burst it out there, but instead we just like do it quietly. Restorive. I love that. Um okay. Next question. One word you once used to describe yourself that no longer fits you.
Speaker 3: Uh okay. Um I would say fight C for me.
Speaker 2: What is it again, Patra?
Speaker 3: Uh fight C. You know, I'm always, you know, ready to fight.
Speaker 2: Fight. Okay.
Speaker 3: Fight C.
Speaker 2: Got it. Okay. What about you, Ray?
Speaker 1: Uh impatient. Yeah. I always rush everything and felt that I think to a certain extent, it's I still have that. You know, I still want to rush everything, but at least now I'm aware of it. So I said that okay, don't rush, you know. Right. But but that is still inside, but you know, just trying to control it.
Speaker 2: Okay. Okay, next one. One word you're learning to embrace.
Speaker 3: Patience for me.
Speaker 4: Hmm, okay. What about you're right? Acceptance.
Speaker 2: Acceptance. Mmm. Both powerful words. Um, next question. A part of yourself you protect.
Speaker 1: I think uh for me it's uh pride.
Speaker 2: How about you, Patrick?
Speaker 3: I guess yeah, I would say the same thing too, but I'm not sure at this point, but pride probably is for everybody. It's just the intensity. Yeah, I would say pride for now, but uh if I can think of another word, you know, another secret or feeling that I'm protecting, trying to protect, I'll give it to you later.
Speaker 2: Of course. Thank you. Okay, there is always a silence in the film. For you, what it is. How do you describe the silence in the film?
Speaker 3: For me is frustration for her, for Angie.
Speaker 2: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 1: Uh for me is uh inequality.
Speaker 2: Inequality, okay. And we're we will go we're gonna discuss about that later about that film. Uh uh All Shall Beware. Well. Um, next question for Petra. What is the hardest thing that you portray honestly?
Speaker 3: In the film or in the film, yeah. In the film, probably at the very beginning, it would be the uh femininity that uh I'm not a very feminine person in real life. I mean, I have that side, so you know, uh when you're doing a film that she is supposed to be very feminine, I have to dig up that side and amplified it to the uh maximum extent when I do the part. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: But usually in real life, I am not that feminine, in that sense, like NG. But I I have that seed and I have to amplify it to the max.
Speaker 2: Mm-hmm. I think okay, thank you for sharing. Next question. What is it this uh in the film, the story you feel drawn to again and again? For me? Or uh for both of you. For both of you.
Speaker 1: What you are drawn to the film again and again. Uh I think it's just the um the message. I think the message is about uh love not being uh people shouldn't discriminate it just because someone loves someone with the same sex instead of the opposite sex and should not be treated them uh in in you know unfairly.
unknown: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I guess love is that, you know, is that the word. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So same as same as to you with you, uh Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Because, you know, uh in the end, I'm no longer angry with uh my partner for not doing the right thing, but out of love. And that uh she didn't do the thing to protect me out of uh procrastination, out of, I don't know, you know, taboo, you know, the cursing herself, and you know, you you sign her the will and you die tomorrow. Uh uh that kind of thing. Yeah, but in the end, love overcomes all these feelings of uh resentment, anger, and all that.
Speaker 2: Since both of you answer love, um, this is not related to the film. For you, love is describe love.
Speaker 1: Love is oh, okay. I think love is well, basically actually very very simply, it's someone you can trust. I think that is very, very important, uh, especially in uh these days and age. I think it's someone that you know that they always have your back and you can always rely on them and uh no matter what, they are going to be there. I think that is important.
unknown: Yeah.
Speaker 3: How about you, Patrick? For me, probably more Chinese than sacrifice.
Speaker 2: Oh, sacrifice. Yeah, very interesting. Okay, um, next uh question. This is also not related to film, it's based uh from your own uh personal uh personal experience. For you, what loss teaches you?
Speaker 3: For me is strength and more better understanding of myself.
unknown: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Beautiful. I think uh what was the word that I was thinking? Ego. Yes, I think I think sometimes we have uh wow, it's too self-important. So try not to be so egoistic and just put that down and yeah, and embrace other people's egos as well.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Okay, next question. Being seen, feel what it feels like to you being seen.
Speaker 1: What it feels like being seen.
Speaker 3: I mean, become famous or is that what you anything, anything anything that could come up to you about being seen.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean for me it's uh being validated, I think, uh, particularly uh because I was growing up in the West uh for many years, and uh you know how Asians a lot of the times are being transparent, you know, in uh in many situations. So I think uh, you know, being seen and being validated is in in that sense is important.
Speaker 3: For me, it's more like inconvenient. You know, I I'd like to keep my life very private, or uh, you know, you're not being recognized on the street, or uh uh I'm not very good in uh handling, you know, oh you're very good. What am I gonna how am I gonna respond to it? Yeah. I just uh thank you.
Speaker 2: But you know that's a good response though, like saying thank you.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course, I appreciate that, but you know, on the other hand, um it's like uh okay. I I you know I probably like to be a more private person than uh being seen more often.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Okay, next question. Um what's a word associate with home to you?
Speaker 1: What is associated with a home yeah for you, what is it?
Speaker 2: Or maybe like home. Or for you, what it what it is home to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay. Well, I think simply uh just comfort. I think I think most of all comfort, but I mean because for me, I actually uh live in many different countries uh in my life. So I also do feel that home is just a physical space. Uh it's not about the four walls, it's not about you know the come just the you know physical comfort, but really comfort about the people you surrounding you and and people that you you care about. I think I think that's home, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. My answer would be quite similar. I would say I would use a word, if you want to use a word, it would be hard. You know, it actually is the feeling.
unknown: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: Just the physical space, like recess, yeah.
Speaker 2: Mm-hmm. What it what is aging gives you?
Speaker 3: Well, um, aging for me, it's like um discovery of myself better. But you know, whether it may be a little too late, you know, because you're already your very old, and then you discover, you know, who you really are and uh what you should be, it's uh might be a little late, but it's never late than you know, uh later than never. And then for me, it's also like I would say because I'm aging, um, I felt the contentment. Uh in my uh much younger days, I don't feel that contentment. So I cannot it actually enjoyed my life more than I do now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What a beautiful realization you had that, Patra. I love that.
unknown: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I do. As I age, I know there are things that I cannot do, and there are things that I have to accept. And um there are things I see why compromises have to be done. Um and I see that uh one cannot lose that passion that one has. But although it's kind of dying, but you you still have to try to ignite it, you know. And it's not that difficult. It's not that difficult with uh, you know, better health these days and uh people know more about the world and people learn more. It's not that difficult because in the old days when uh I'm 73, the the fire in the old days has gone a long time ago, but you know, it's still like a little bubbling. Uh sometimes I have to help it, you know, sometimes you become more pessimistic because you have seen so much in life and you have experienced so much in life, but so you try to bump it up, and how that can be bumped up, you know, I'm still learning.
Speaker 2: I love that. And you you plus you don't look look look your age. You said 73 years old.
Speaker 3: That's the honey thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, one word about aging. It sucks. No, I I think I I think it's just uh learning to be uh uh more tolerant. I think I think when I was younger, I was like everything I was very, very sort of like frustrated and cannot tolerate it. And why do people do that? And why do things happen this way? And so I think in in that sense that it gives me a drive to try to change things, but you know, as you get older, then you start knowing that okay, well, you know, things happen for a reason. So some of it you can change, so you choose your battle, and some you can't change. And you just have to learn to tolerate it and not have it eating you up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what about what about something that you value more now? What is it?
Speaker 3: I guess life for me, because it's going that way, going toward the end, going downhill. So life.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, health, right? Yeah. Life and yeah.
Speaker 3: That's of course part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think I think uh mainly uh true friends, I think it's important because like when you were younger, you had lots and lots and lots of friends. And every that is a friend. And then as you get older, you lose them, and then you realize uh who You know, those who are around, uh they are around for a reason and um and the friendship is real, you know. So I think cherish that, you know. And and now there's not that many friends, but that's fine. You actually think that that's fine. You don't need that many as long as they are, you know, real friends. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love both your answers. Okay. What about what about one fear that you had before that you made already peace with?
Speaker 3: That would be aging.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay. But I think I really think the honey is helping you out here, huh?
Speaker 1: I think something simple because uh uh public speech, you know, like uh I was, you know, kind of shy and didn't really want to, you know, talk in front of people. But of course, uh now that with this uh job that I do, of course, a lot of the times I'm talking in public, you know. So I have to learn to um to not be afraid of that.
Speaker 2: What about one boundary that you now honor?
Speaker 3: Privacy of other people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think I I think like uh like I say earlier, it's kind of uh embracing other people's uh thoughts as well, flaws. That is something that uh again, like I could be judgmental, you know, but now I try not to. It's very crazy. Having said that, by the way.
Speaker 3: We all are judgmental.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like being judgmental is I I came from a country like in the Philippines, like people are very judgmental, and I grew up being judgmental. It's not easy to unlearn being a judgmental because we've learned it. We've learned it through throughout our lives. So I completely agree.
Speaker 1: Your parents are always, you know, my parents at least are very judgmental, so you're always being judged as well. So you also learn that as a way, in a sense, being judgmental is equivalent to love, which is a bit strange. Do you know what I mean? But you I mean it's as they keep on judging you and saying you're not doing this right, it's their way of expressing uh affection, but it's just not in a very positive way.
Speaker 2: Right. Chinese.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, what about one truth that you really stand for?
Speaker 1: Well, I I think for me is uh obviously is uh about the uh inequality, right? Fighting for discrimin uh against discrimination, especially for the LGBTQ community, yeah.
Speaker 3: Freedom for me.
Speaker 2: Freedom. I love that. Okay, okay. How about a word of hope? What hope or what's one word that you can give about to to have more hope?
Speaker 3: I would say love, because without love then probably people would not be uh be kind or caring. So without those things, very l little hope in the sense that uh people wouldn't not consider other people. Uh equality, freedom, all these things. So I would say love.
Speaker 1: I think for me it's uh empathy. I think if we have a little bit more empathy, uh everybody has a little bit more empathy, the world will be a very bad place.
Speaker 2: I agree. And lastly, what about a word for healing? What is it, the word for you, that will heal us more?
Speaker 3: Forgiveness.
Speaker 2: Mmm, I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think definitely.
Speaker 3: Forgive yourself and forgive the people who have uh offended you. Myself being a very judgmental person when I was young, I'm beginning much, much less judgmental. And uh even some people think that I'm kind.
Speaker 2: How about you?
Speaker 1: Uh I think uh be grateful. I think also grateful is important, gratefulness, uh appreciate what you have. I think that's important in self-kimon thinking, oh, what I can achieve next and what I can get, what I can get more, is actually uh tick stock and see what you have already.
Speaker 2: Beautiful. So that's that's our fireside chat. I love doing this to get to to get to our listeners more know more about the both of you. Because I think um the the work that you do, of course, from now on, we're gonna start about the work, the film that you guys created. Yeah, like to I think because um you've answered some questions earlier about the um the film All Shall Be Well, which is actually not just All Shall Be Well, um Patra was also featured on another film, uh SukSuk, Twilight's Kiss, which both of them I was able to watch, beautifully made, both films. Could you um share, Ray, a little bit about like a summarization about the Twilight's Kiss, Suxuk, and then maybe Patra would explain a little bit about all shall be.
Speaker 1: Okay, so uh Twilight's Kiss. The the story actually came from uh inspiration came from a book uh which is uh oral documentation of uh 12 interviews of uh older gay man in Hong Kong, uh mostly married and in a closet. So uh from that book, uh I uh inspired me. I uh I met up with some of those people who have been interviewed and uh wrote a story uh basically about two grandfathers, uh both already uh have their own families and uh now meeting today and uh falling in love and their struggles about how they can uh carry on this affair and at the same time uh retain the family values that uh have been in them uh since uh young. So uh really just to show that uh for people of that generation, uh it's not that easy to come out. Uh coming out for them is something that was never really in their mind, uh and because you know homosexuality was illegal in Hong Kong in those days. And so um it's basically a love story, uh, but it's also about uh growing old, uh being in a closet or being gay uh in Hong Kong.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Ray. All shall be well, uh yeah.
Speaker 3: All shall be well is a love story in another sense because there is no like passionate scenes involved. It's about um one lesbian couple who's been with one another for over 30 years, and then one suddenly died, who was the bread earner, and uh all the things are in her name, and especially the property that was in question. Um and then uh the um remaining spouse was trying to um fight for the uh her rights to stay in that uh you know, the in that property where they uh had invested so much feelings and uh good times in. You know, it's not just about the money, it's more about the times together and the memory throughout the journey of discovering how people are not what they think what they are, what she wants them to be. And then in the end, um the frustration and the anger subsided because she discovered that her her lover is you know, she wanted to do something for her, but then timing she procrastinated and then never signed the will, and then that's how such a journey for a painful journey for her unfolds, and um in the end love forgives, and that's how to dance, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you both for sharing. And both of it both again, both of the films I watch, and also I just want to share because the first um I've seen Suk Suk in bilingual and when you guys are screening here in Tokyo, and then I've seen the other one, All Shall Be Well, without the subtitle in English, so I couldn't understand while watching it. But I finally was able to watch a full film in and with subtitles on it, and I I I understood now why some audiences, because I've seen some audiences during the screening in Tokyo that they were crying. I'm hearing some people crying, but I didn't because I didn't understand. I think it's all about the words that that's used in the film that really touches people, and it touched me, and I cried after watching All Shall Be Well. Um I want to ask Ray about because I think this is this was a question set uh um also asked you during the screening of the film uh Suksook that you were you were not able to find the actors very easily, and it took you a while before you find the right people. And I would also say that for me, watching it not um all the actors were amazing, but because there's not probably there's still not, I don't know. I I I want to ask you this too, but how is the representation of the LGBT community when it comes to films in in Hong Kong? Are there any representation? Are there any actors who's part of the community? Because I feel like we get more close to the story if if it's if it's portrayed by a real LGBT community. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh well, it took me a year to look for uh the two actors in uh Suk Suk. I think uh mainly because of the age, because I want actors who are over 60 years old. I think if the uh two main characters were in their 30s, I wouldn't have a problem because I think a lot of actors in that age range would be willing to do a gay part. But because they're 60-something, so the actors all felt that um they already had a career, so they don't really want to risk it at this late stage in their life, especially uh, thank you so much for tuning in.
Speaker 2: If you reached up until this last minute of the show, I am extremely grateful for you for tuning in the whole entire episode. If you enjoyed our episode today, please share it to your friends. You can copy and paste the link wherever you are listening to right now. Share on your Instagram stories on your Facebook subscribe. I am I always called I love you and Join us again next Tuesday for the Breakfast with Tiffany show with Tiffany Rossdale.