Michael Ashcroft: Alexander Technique, Coaching and Roam Culture
July 16, 2020
In this episode, we talk with Michael Ashcroft, a consultant, co-founder and Non-Executive Director of the Carbon Removal Centre, a UK-based non-profit organization whose purpose is to advance sustainable carbon removal.
He is also a certified teacher of the Alexander Technique, an awareness-based educational process that helps people live with greater ease and freedom, and a Co-Active coach, working with clients in his spare time.
We talked about:
- How he stumbled into Roam Research from Building A Second Brain
- His workflow when building his second brain
- The Alexander Technique, and using Roam to expand his understanding of it, and applying it to coaching
- How he uses Roam as a self-coaching tool
- #roamcult as a culture, not a cult: The filter for meeting interesting people
- 02:08 Michael's origin story and meta-realization: Building A Second Brain
- 04:29 Michael's workflow and version of smart notes
- 07:09 Deconstructing how to take book notes
- 8:58 Determine if ideas have their own pages
- 11:14 Letting go of note-taking structure in advance Re: Evernote
- 12:41 If Einstein had a Roam...
- 14:13 Subconsciously building a digital garden
- 16:29 Multi-graph connections, and unique blocks across Roam
- 18:09 Synchronising public and Private Roams
- 19:58 "The onboarding is the #roamcult"
- 20:44 The Aha! Moment and the many possibilities
- 21:53 Exploring emotions in Roam and self-introspection
- 23:53 Co-Active coaching and the Saboteur
- 25:20 How Michael Ashcroft uses Roam to do self-coaching
- 27:33 Projects, Areas, Roam, Archives
- 30:24 Alexander Technique: Undoing habits
- 34:05 Roam to enhance understanding of Alexander Technique
- 35:33 Using the right words that resonate better
- 37:23 Alexander Technique teachers tend to impose jargon on people
- 38:46 Michael Ashcroft's future plans for Alexander Technique
- 40:11 A course as a universal resource
- 41:59 The world is hooked on doing or caring
- 44:02 How can we help?
- 46:00 Caring is interference
- 47:43 Non-doing, and to frame something as a battle is interference
- 49:42 How would you describe Roam to someone who hasn't started using it yet?
- 51:06 What does Roam mean to you? Roam Culture
- 52:28 The secret handshake is #roamcult
- 54:19 PKM meetups are a filter for interesting people
Visit the RoamFM Public Graph for more info!Support the show