Best of Episode: Dr. Bill Howatt - President & Founder of Howatt HR Consulting, One of Canada’s Top Experts in Workplace Psychological Health & Safety! “I Am Good Enough as I Am Today”
March 02, 2023
In this week's Best of Episode, we welcome Dr. Bill Howatt. Bill is an expert in mental fitness and psychological safety in the workplace who specializes in helping employers create positive workplaces where employees feel included, valued, and fulfilled. He has over thirty years of experience in consulting and coaching, and he’s the author of over fifty books, including the soon-to-be-released No Regrets: How to Live Today for Tomorrow’s Emotional Well-Being.
In this episode, you’ll hear from Dr. Bill Howatt on;
- (00:10:02) Acts of kindness. We discuss the unexpected benefits of altruism, and Bill explains how being kind and helping others activates the release of the feel-good hormone oxytocin, which contributes to our overall sense of happiness and well-being.
- (00:35:40) Moving from languishing to flourishing. Bill describes how to build a more motivated mindset by training the brain to overcome its natural negativity bias. As well as practicing gratitude and focusing on the positive, he advises us to surround ourselves with people who light us up and make us feel energized.
- (00:42:06) Building mental fitness at work. He encourages everybody to believe in their potential and be compassionate towards themselves and others. In addition, Bill advises employers to provide their employees with a clear sense of purpose and to focus on making them feel valued, included, and safe.
- (00:56:56) Self-acceptance. Bill shares a powerful personal statement that reminds him that he doesn’t have anything to prove and that he’s good enough just as he is.
- (01:07:37) The definition of empathy. We talk about the true meaning of empathy, and Bill defines it as the ability to understand and be curious about another person’s experience without judging them or feeling the need to impose our own opinions.