Narrator: The cold lantern light washed over the speckled cobblestone floor of the prison, flickering sluggishly against Aurora's face between the rigid iron bars. The man moved silently. There was an odd formality about it, the way his hands moved without touching anything more than the links of chain behind his back. There was no brush of an arm, no sound of the chains rattling, nothing but the dull clank as the cuffs fell away from his wrists and he could settle his arms rigidly in his lap.
Aurora: What do you want from me? (pause) Fine. How about this one? Who are you?
Daniel: You know full well who I am.
Aurora: Daniel? (pause) So, not even deserving of an explanation.
Daniel: Just eat.
Aurora: Gotta say...
Daniel: Eat.
Aurora: Are we east? (pause) Not cold enough to be east. You know, this position you put me in isn't something I enjoy.
Daniel: You have to understand what kind of position this puts me in. If she finds out where you are, she'll kill me.
Aurora: Oh, just you. How terrible. Does she not already suspect you're part of this? Part of what? I'm alive, Daniel. That's significant, if I remember correctly.
Daniel: She'll kill us both. And you know that. Right now. I can't afford to have her suspect anything. And I pray she doesn't already. But...
Aurora: You think I give a shit about how that makes you feel?
Daniel: No, b ut I think you care about what's happening out there. If you didn't, neither of us would be in this mess.
Aurora: So it's pity then? What? Is it pity? What's driving you to do this for me?
Daniel: I... I'm not doing this for you, actually.
Aurora: You're just too clever for me to understand, it seems. Who are you doing this for, Daniel? Surely not yourself.
Daniel: You're right. It's for neither of us. But that doesn't mean I'm not responsible for you right now.
Narrator: Aurora's hand moved soundlessly across his lap. resting uncomfortably over bandages that poked out between the tears and his already tattered shirt. He shifted indignantly, placing the bowl on the cold floor and propelling it towards Daniel impatiently.
Daniel: Does it still hurt?
Aurora: Don't pretend you care. You can keep that. I'm not hungry.
Narrator: Daniel lifted the bowl slowly, eyeing it warily as he inched closer.
Daniel: You need to eat.
Aurora: Why? I'm not yours to worry over. You made that abundantly clear when you chose her over me.
Daniel: Please, just eat.
Aurora: I swear, if you tell me to eat again, I'll find the strength to... (pause)Just...s top asking me. Please, do me that much.
Daniel: You can't be angry at me for caring enough to feed you.
Aurora: I'm angry at you for caring about me over what's going on, Daniel. If you cared, really cared about me at all, you wouldn't be here.
Daniel: And where would I be?
Narrator: Aurora slumped back. He slid down against the wall until his legs splayed out in front of him. forcing Daniel to take a step back.
Aurora: Go away, Daniel. I'm tired. I just...go. Go on. Throw a fit. It doesn't make a difference. Nothing either of us can do matters, does it? Starting to think it never did.
Daniel: You're just being dramatic.
Aurora: Says the one leaving a man too weak to stand, chained to a wall. Doesn't that seem dramatic to you? Vex it all. Never mind. I understand. Are you afraid of me, Daniel?
Daniel: I... No. I'm not afraid.
Aurora: You hesitated.
Daniel: If either of us should be afraid, it's you. Of what? Just... just... everything. I don't know! It would keep you out of trouble.
Aurora: My friend, we both know it would take more than that to keep me out of trouble.
Daniel: Don't call me that, e specially not right now.
Aurora: You are my friend, aren't you?
Daniel: Back then, I always wondered why they didn't just kill you sooner for that mouth of yours. And some days... goddesses, s ome days I wanted to be the one to do it.
Aurora: Night is young. Not too late now, is it?
Narrator: Daniel turned away from him silently.
Aurora: Daniel, you're forgetting something.
Daniel: What?
Aurora: My chains.
Narrator: The light faded. He didn't come back.