Rob has been an important mentor to me through most of my career here at Beach. I wanted to take an opportunity to record some of my favourite stories of his and the key lessons he's taught me. This interview covers:
- The beginnings of Rob's career and the dawn of the P&C actuary in Australia;
- The paper he wrote in 1980, which to me really gets to the essence of Rob's analytical style, which we discuss;
- Rob's view on risk tolerance of insurance companies (less than they think!) and how he came to that view;
- How the culture of insurers is based on hiding their true profitability from themselves and Rob's view on this (he doesn't like it);
- Why Rob thought he'd never work in insurance again and what he did about it.
If you'd like to receive emails when I post a new episode subscribe at webtrough.com/signup and please rate the show in iTunes! Music by www.bensound.com