SPEAKER_02: Yeah, it's so great to be here today. We are gonna be in uh in Psalm chapter 100. And last week we started a brand new series entitled Made to Worship. Made to Worship Fighting Purpose in the Monday. And here's all we're doing: we are taking God's word because we are Jesus people. So it's Jesus people, we take God's word, we open God's word up, we see what it says, we learn about God, and we are learning what scripture says about worship. And because I'm your pastor and I love you so much, I'm gonna give you a pop quiz. Pop quiz. But here's the good news: if you have the right answer to this pop quiz, Pastor Edgar told me that he would give you a$20 bill. You like that, Mike? That's right. Okay. So here it is. Okay, last week we defined worship as this. Do you remember? Worship is, I'm trying to give you time to think, ascribing worth to something. Look at those notes. And does anybody remember? And loving. Good job, Pastor Edgar. You don't have to give anybody$20. You're really good. It's in valuing, and valuing that something above everything else, valuing that something above everything else. And how many of you guys understand that when we value God above everything else, it's just gonna show up in our lives in a lot of different ways? It's gonna show up in all kinds of different ways. And one of the ways it's gonna show up in is how we sing songs like we just did a couple minutes ago. Now, for many of us, we didn't grow up in the church. And if you didn't grow up in the church, like you come in for the first time and you're like, man, it's it's kind of weird. Like the first half of the service, people are like singing. Like is like Christian karaoke? Am I getting judged here? Is there, you know, is there points? Simon Cowell, is he up in the balcony? Yeah. And it's kind of be kind of awkward almost. And then maybe, maybe you you come and you come regularly and you grow in your faith, you make a decision to turn from your sin and put your faith and trust in Jesus, and and and things start to change in you, and you're hearing the songs up here, and and then like you start feeling it a little bit. So then you start to sing, but then you're like, oh, am I actually singing right now? If I'm singing, then like somebody might hear me sing. Now, I don't know if you guys are like me. Um, but but when it comes to my singing ability, it's very similar to the people on American Idol in the opening rounds. You know what I'm saying? I sing, ears bleed, right? Bloody mess, right here. Nobody's got time for that. It could be it could be like, okay, singing. Like, this is kind of weird. Even if like, even if you've been in church for a while, you've been following Jesus for a while, it can still feel a little uncomfortable. And you see somebody else in the auditorium and they're like hands extended, and you're like, that's I don't know about all that. But if you can understand one thing, it'll unlock something powerful in your life. Something that's a game changer to this is that your church experience will change when the songs go from music to worship. Your church experience will change when the songs go from music to worship. When you truly start to worship and ascribe worth to God, you're gonna find yourself in a service less distracted and more engaged. Less evaluing everything that's happening, like who's on the worship team today? Wonder what kind of hat Mason's gonna have on. Hopefully, not a Dodger's hat. Well, I wonder who's doing communion today. Like less evaluating and thinking, and more of thinking about God that we're worshiping.
unknown: That's right.
SPEAKER_02: Now you think about the song we just sang. The song we just sang, here were the lyrics to the one, this is Jesus, who gave his very life away. He took upon himself all of our guilt and shame. That's powerful. You realize you can live your life in freedom without guilt or shame because of what Jesus did for you. Hanging on a cross for the world he loved with this precious blood, he purchased men for God. So, what do we do? We crown you, we fall face down and we worship, we all cry out, You're worthy God, you're worthy God. See, when when that's just music, we think about it, we're like, Yeah, yeah, it's a good song. And we're like, what do I got to do this week? And then the ADHD kicks in, we're like, Squirrel! Why are they wearing that? But when it's worship, you gave your very life away for me. You took all of my guilt and all of my shame, and I can live my life in freedom. You gave your blood for me. I just I crown you, Lord. You are worthy, you are worthy. Versus. I wonder what's going on this week. Same song, same lyrics, same worship team up here, different heart posture. One has a heart posture of music, the other heart posture is one of worship. I remember years ago, I wanted to like engage in corporate worship through song, but I felt like something was holding me back. I never felt like this, and I'm like, I'll kind of sing, but I don't want to sing too loud because you know, the ear bleeding thing. And it was weird because I would even be in my car and I would be more expressive in my car by myself than I would in a corporate worship gathering. And I would sing more then than here or wherever. I was a different church. And I was like, okay, okay, okay, okay. Why is this? Like, like, what's going on in my heart? So I had to think about it. I had to be honest. I was like, okay, let me think. I was like, well, one, I grew up in a church environment that during the worship singing was very uh very stoic. Like if you raised your hand, it was like, you got a question, brother? I also, and this was hard. This was hard. I had to come to this realization, and this is a realization that'll shock everybody. I was prideful. I know you're shocked. I know, I know you're prideful. Do you know anybody that's prideful? You sit next to anybody, just kidding. Just kidding. We all got a little pride in us. And here's what I thought. I'm like, okay, I'm prideful. So I I like really want to like look a certain way, and like I'm, you know, it's like I'm Nate. So, yeah. And if I sing, like I don't want people to um like think this about me. And you know, like for me to sing, I'm really gonna have to like let my guard down, and you know, I'm I'm a dude, like I'm a bro, like I go to the gym, you know. But then I came to this realization nobody's thinking about me, anyways. Like, not one of y'all walked in this morning, and and none of you were like, wonder how Nate's vocals are gonna be today. I hope he's got it. No, and and so I'm thinking of this, I'm like, okay, okay, if God is great and God's powerful, and I love God, then shouldn't my singing and expressiveness be reflective of the greatness of God?
SPEAKER_00: Self-awareness. Boom. And I'm like, oh.
SPEAKER_02: Because down through the ages, what's happened is the people of God have gathered together to worship God through song. And I want to show you one place in the book of Psalms where this happened. It's Psalm 100, verse number one. And if you're ready for it, would you say amen? It says, Let the whole earth shall triumphantly to the Lord. Serve the Lord with gladness. Now, first of all, I got a bone to pick with Francesca because Francesca stole my text this morning, but you know. Serve the Lord with gladness. It doesn't say serve the Lord with sadness. You know, some people serve the Lord like they just got a root canal.
SPEAKER_01: It's like, I guess I gotta serve the Lord. All these people. People are weird, people are the problem. I guess I gotta show up when I'm on Planning Center. Actually, no, I'm not. I'm declining it because I got the sniffles.
SPEAKER_02: Sorry, that was that was a little too close to home on that one. Um serve the Lord with gladness, come before him with joyful, joyful songs. You say joyful songs? Yes. Think about what the gospel declares. The gospel, the death, the burial, the resurrection of Jesus, declares that we are set free from sin, declares that we are loved, declares that we are accepted, declares that no matter what happens to us, we have a God that's working all things for our good and his glory. We have a God that's in control, no matter how hard situations are. We have an unshakable hope because we serve a resurrected Savior. That should produce joyful songs in our life. The worst thing that can happen to you if you're a Jesus follower is you die and go to heaven. Dang, that sucks, doesn't it? This with joy. Serve the Lord with joyful songs. The gospel doesn't just save us, but it shapes us, it strengthens us and guides us. We're to verse three, acknowledge that the Lord is good. He made us, we're his, his people, the sheep of his pasture. Now, in this psalm, what's happening is the people of God are coming together to sing and celebrate the goodness of God in their lives. Verse four, enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise. Give thanks to him and bless his name. Now, corporally worshiping God through song is rich and powerful. It's not like we're at our favorite concert, like we're going to a U2 concert. U2. You don't like them? You two. Some of y'all, I know some of y'all, you guys uh, you guys are more we have a YouTube fan here. Some of you guys like your boy bands from the 90s. He does, or she does. She likes right, right? A little backstreet boys in right, right? It's just it. We have so it's not we're going to our favorite concert and we're just like singing along two of the greatest hits. No, no, no. When we enter God's courts with praise, this is what's happening. The people of God are offering praise to God in the presence of God. The people of God are offering praise to God, the presence of God. Here's what praise is praise is seeing God rightly and responding appropriately. So it's not like, all right, we gotta, we gotta get some emotional thing going on here, like let's get hyped up. No, no, no. It's like I see God accurately and I respond appropriately. And when the people of God, those of us that know Jesus, when we come to a worship service with this heart of faith and this heart of expectancy, and this heart of we get to praise God. God's gonna do something in our midst. What happens is the entire room takes on a spirit of praise and worship to God. When we come with faith, when we come with expectancy, now this is different. Then we come in and we're like, uh, well, I'm showing up for church this morning. I hope nobody talks to me.
SPEAKER_03: Let me sneak in here. Let me try to dodge the welcome town. Oh, gotcha.
SPEAKER_02: But when we come in to service with saying, Man, I got faith because I know God's gonna do something in my life today. I have expectancy because I know God's gonna meet with us today. I'm gonna have an opportunity to pray with somebody because I want to pray with somebody. I need some prayer. And we come in with expectancy. I'm telling you, it changes the atmosphere of an entire church service. It changes the atmosphere of a church family. It takes us from this dead religion to a living hope and a living faith. Because we have a real savior, amen. Now, here's the question: why should we even do this? We love God, and you know why we love God? Look what verse 5 says it says, For the Lord is good and his faithful love endures forever. He loves us. We are responding to him, his faithful love endures. How long? Not just not just as long as you keep your act together. You you stop keeping your act together, he his faithful love is no no forever. Through through all generations, like there won't be a generation where God's like, uh, actually, nah. Like, I don't know what's going on with this whole social media generation. I'm holding my faithful, no, no. God wasn't like everything was good. I like Facebook, I like Instagram, Snapchat, uh-uh. Through all generations, he's good. Through all generations, he is faithful, his faithful love endures. Here's something I want you guys to understand is God's people gather and sing? God's people gather and sing. Verse 2 of Psalm 100. It said, Come before him with joyful songs. Do we gather for teaching? Yes, and we should. Do we gather for community and fellowship? Yes, and we should. Do we gather to remember communion, what Christ did for us on the cross? Yes, and we should. But we also gather to sing. Now, some of you are like, that's old testament, Pastor Nate. Give me a New Testament place. I got you. I'm glad you asked. Acts chapter 16, Paul and Silas, they were in prison, and at midnight, what were they doing? That's it. They were praying, they were singing praises and they were praying to God. This is what they were doing. They were singing praises and praising God. So why do we worship Him through song? Here's why. Because God's people sang in Scripture. This is what they did. This was the example. Worshiping through song allows us to connect with God in a way that can't be experienced by words alone.
SPEAKER_00: Worship songs are a way we ascribe worth and value to God, and it allows truth to move from our head to our heart.
SPEAKER_02: And that's a really big 18 inches. It's this emotional element to it. No, what's fascinating is science is finally starting to catch up with the Bible, and it's taken them quite a while. It's like there are all these scientific discoveries, and people are like, wow, that's amazing. It's like, dude, that was in the Bible, man. Here's one of them that when people sing together, it has positive emotional effects, psychological effects, and even physical effects when people come together and sing. God's pretty smart. To design a way that we worship him is for us to come together and sing. And why do we do this? Well, we do this in response number two. Singing is a response to who God is. For the Lord is good, his faithful love endures forever, his faithfulness through all generations. Singing and giving praise to God isn't about an emotion, but it's about response. Now, when you look at the scripture, there are certain words, Old Testament is written in Hebrew, New Testament is written in Greek, there are certain words that are translated into the English language, but the English equivalent of the word doesn't give the full rich and depth of the word. So it's hard for us to fully understand what this word means in the English language. So for example, a word in our English language like this that we use all the time, we use it for everything, is the word love. For everything. Okay. I'll give you an example. How many of you would say, I love tacos? I think it's amazing, by the way, not in the sermon notes, that Cinco de Mayo this year falls on a taco Tuesday. Like that's just a blessing of God, right? I love tacos. I'm glad I see how many of you in the room you don't love tacos? I agree. That's wonderful. Because we were gonna have a moment of prayer right here. I also, I also, I love my mom. I do, I love my mom. Mother's Day next week, guys. Just a reminder. Um also I love my wife. Now you think about this. I use the same word to describe my feelings towards tacos, my mom, and my wife. Now, in the Greek language, though, there were different forms of love. So I could use a form of love to describe my love for tacos, to describe my love for my wife, my mom, and then my wife. But in the English language, we only have one word, which is why we just like throw the word love around because it's really not a better word. Now there's another word in Hebrew that's like this it is the word praise. A lot of times the word we we read in Psalms, we read the word praise, sometimes the word bless, but it comes from some Hebrew words that have a lot of depth and have a lot of richness. That if we can understand what these words are, it can unlock something and how we praise and worship God through psalm. And this is what I want to show you this morning. And we've gotten to this part of the message for this. It's seven words that show you how to praise. For my note takers in the room, this is what I want you to write down. And by the way, for my note takers in the room, there's a special place in heaven for you, okay? Seven words that will show you how to praise. All right, here's the first word. The first word is halal. Halal. I want to give you an example of this, and then we're gonna explain it, okay? Psalm 150, it says this it says, Hallelujah, halal God in his sanctuary, halal him in his mighty expanse. No, no. In our Bible, it says praise, because praise is the best word translated from halal into the English equivalent. It says, halal him for his powerful axe, halal him for his abundant greatness, halal him with blast of a ram's horn, halal him with harp and lyri, halal him with tambourine and dance. Some of y'all like that. Halal him with strings and flute. Here's what this word means it means to celebrate, to boast in, to be foolish. Here's the translation I don't care who's watching, joyful celebration. It's like this. Let's say you're at a sporting event and your team wins the game. Your team wins the game, they they kick the winning goal, they score the winning run, they don't win the game, and you don't go.
SPEAKER_03: Stoically that was amazing. They did really good today. Man, man, the way they were really running up and down the court, that was that was great. That's awesome. Um yeah, we got some hits today. We won the game. I promise I'm happy inside. I really am.
SPEAKER_02: No, you'd be a weirdo if you did that. What do you do when you celebrate when your team wins the game? You jump up and down. You high five. Let's go, high five. What's something else you do? You give a woohoo. How about something else? You clap. You excited. People say all their phones are like recording everybody. Yeah, we won the game, yeah, yeah, yeah. Why you you're celebrating, you're boasting, and we are victorious. We did this, look at this. Now check this out. The nation of Israel would celebrate God just like that.
SPEAKER_00: They would praise God just like that. They would celebrate.
SPEAKER_02: That's who our God is. Yes. Now, to the outside looking in, it's like, what are those people doing? But here's the thing this type of praise only happens when you're more concerned with the greatness of God than you are about the opinions of other people. And when is the last time?
SPEAKER_00: When is the last time your praise look like halal? Next word. Yadah.
SPEAKER_02: Yaddah, Psalm 67, verse 3. It says, Let the people, Yadah, praise you, God. Let all the peoples praise you. Here's what this word means: it's giving thanks, it's acknowledge, it's confessing, often expressed through an extended hand. Application. Thank God publicly with extended hands. Here's what this is. God, thank you for what you've done in my life. Thank you for answering that prayer that I prayed for for so long. Thank you for the blessings that you've given me. Thank you for the salvation I have in Christ. Thank you for your faithfulness. This is you dah. Friends, when's the last time your praise looked like this? Wasn't necessarily a celebration jumping up and down, clapping my hands. This is what it was. Thank you, Lord. Thank you. Word number three. Bay Rock. Not to be confused with Barack as an Obama, okay? Bayrack. Psalm 103, verse 12. My soul bayrack the Lord and all that's in within me. Barack is holy name. Bless my soul, Bayrack the Lord, and do not forget all of his benefits. Here's what this is: this is kneeling and adoring.
SPEAKER_00: Application, I revere and surrender. Sometimes people of God need to come before God and say, I surrender. I revere you.
SPEAKER_02: I surrender to you. When's the last time your praise in your personal life looked like this? When you woke up early and you went into the living room, you woke up before everybody else. You went into the closet, you went, and you just got on your knees. You said, I surrender. I know sometimes these floors are hard in here, but when's the last time in here our praise look like this?
SPEAKER_00: I surrender. This is how people praised.
SPEAKER_02: Next word, word number four is Shabbat. Shabbat. It says in Psalm 117, pray, Shabbat, the Lord, all nations, glorify him, all peoples. This is what this is. This this means to commend loudly, to shout. Bold, vocal praise through shouting. It's like you're at the sporting event. And the kid you're going to cheer for, the teenager you're going to cheer for, they get a hit. Or they score a basket. Woo! I've seen some of the most dignified people. They're put together, they're dressed right, but their kid comes up to bat, and their kid gets a hit, and they lose their mind. Whoa! Let's go! You get them, baby. They're shouting. They're like, Yes! Shout! Come up! You know what this looks like? Praising God. Hey man! Praise the Lord! Thank you, God! Thank you, Jesus. When's the last time you were singing a song and just I mean, just a Shabbat just came out of you? Praise you! Thank you. You're great. You say that's weird. No, that's a response to who God is. Shabbok. Next word. Zaymar. It says sing praise. Sing Zaymar to God. Sing praise. Sing Zaymar to our king. Sing Zaymar. What is this? This is making music with an instrument. It's singing along with stringed instruments. This is what it is. Hey, worship teams up here. They're playing with the string instrument, and we are worshiping together by singing. That's what it is. That's praise. You're praising God. Here's another word Tehila. Tehila. Not to be confused with tequila. Which some of y'all know way too much about that. That is a different sermon for a different day. This is Tehilah. I know you were thinking it, so I just said it, okay? But you are holy. Psalm 22, enthroned on the Tehila. Not Tequilah, Tehilah of Israel. Here's what this is: this is a song of praise. It's singing to the Lord.
SPEAKER_00: This is, I don't need a worship team.
SPEAKER_02: I don't need an instrument. I'm just gonna sing my heart to the Lord. I'm just gonna sing to you for what you've done. This is I'm driving in the car and I'm just gonna sing so loud, I don't even care. Because I'm gonna praise you. That's Tehila.
SPEAKER_00: One more, and this is the most powerful. It's Todda.
SPEAKER_02: Psalm 56, verse number 12. Let's skip down to verse 12. It says, I'm obligated by vows to you, God. I will make my thanksgiving, my to da sacrifices to you. Here's what this is: this is gratitude for praiseworthy actions with extended hand. It's I will praise and adore and be thankful before the breakthrough. Here's why this is so powerful. Because we see toda in seasons of trial and difficulty in the life of the psalmist. So the psalmist would be going through a hard thing, and the psalmist would still choose to to-da, would still choose to praise God, would still choose to say, God, I haven't experienced breakthrough yet in my life. I'm in a season of difficulty and I'm gonna to da you. You might be like, okay, like what kind of difficulty was he in? He literally had somebody trying to kill him. Like a king had an army that was coming after him. The psalmist didn't know if he was gonna literally live or die. That's a pretty big trial. That's a pretty big suffering. And the psalmist says, I'm going to to da you in the uncertainty of life, in the difficulty of life. I'm going to, as it's been said, I'm going to praise you in the storm. And this is the most powerful form of praise because what this says is life may be rough and things may be uncertain. And I haven't even had a bad health diagnosis, and I don't know where money's going to come from. But still, right here, before I see the breakthrough, I'm going to to die you. I'm going to to die you. In the middle of the difficulty, I'm not going to, I'm not going to tap out. I'm not going to give up. I'm going to be real with you, God, and say, yes, God, this is hard. Yes, I'm discouraged, but I will still praise you. That is a powerful form of praise. These are seven ways to praise God. Here's what these really are these are invitations from God to respond to Him. These are invitations from God, not a checklist of I have to do this. No, no. Invitations to respond to Him in praise. Because worship music is about Him. You realize the worship service, the worship music is not about me and my preferences. It's not about I don't really like this. I mean, you know, I wish the music was louder. I wish the music was quieter. I wish we had more musicians. I wish we had less musicians. I wish we did four songs instead of three. I wish we did five songs. You know what? Honestly, it's not about any of that. You know what it's about? It's about God. It's about worshiping Him. And here's how I want to end the service. I want to end the service by giving you an opportunity to praise the Lord for the first time with this new knowledge of different ways to praise. Things are going to change when the songs go from music to worship. And I want to give you permission to praise God, maybe in a way that you've never praised God before. Maybe it's going to look a little different in this last song, but I'm going to give you permission to not worry about what anybody else is thinking about you, because ain't nobody's thinking about you, anyways. And I'm going to give you an opportunity to say, God, I just want to praise you. What that might look like for some of us is singing for the first time. What that might look like for some of us is we're just going to shout out a praise. Thank you, Lord. You're good. For some of us, that just might look like clapping. Come on. Some of that might look like a little, you know, a little shaking around. Why? Because he's good. Because he's faithful. Because his mercies are with us. He's given us his mercies because he holds us in his hand in those times when things are difficult. His mercy's still with us, and we are still in his hand. That's who he is. And he is worthy to be praised, and he is worthy to be worshiped. So I want to give you permission with this newfound knowledge of what God says about praise. To praise him. So can I say, make the most of it. Let's all stand together to our feet and let's sing about the goodness of God.