Speaker 1: Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to episode 117 of Project Geekology. This week's episode, the Sandlot. I'm your co-host, Rich joined, as always with Dakota and our other co-host, anthony.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to talk about the Sandlot guys, because I haven't watched it yet. I prepared for Bad News Bears today. Um, that's why the background on my uh, you know, my zoom is Bad News Bears, the 2005 version with, uh, yeah, anyway, um, so, you guys, you guys talk about this movie. I'll I'll interject my thoughts from when I was a small boy. Uh, I have, I have, you know, pictographic memory, though, so I don't need to rewatch this.
Speaker 1: Well, I did rewatch it this week and, honestly, I was really, really happy to do so. It led me down a couple of rabbit holes. I started looking up Ruth in the 32 in the World Series calling it a shot. So we'll have to talk about that as we get. Yeah actually. So, guys, I may be breaking some hearts out there, but that, uh, it seems that that may not have happened. I've watched grainy footage over 50 times of ruth calling his shot and it seems that he does indeed point at point uh in in a direction that is fairly left field, but left of the field, so it could have been third base, it could have been someone in the dugout, could have been someone on the field. Uh, there are multiple interviews where there's one time where he's like I don't know what you're talking about. And then suddenly, like a couple interviews later, he's like yeah, I did that, I called my shot, of course I did. And then, like years later, he was later. He's like, yeah, I did that, I called my shot, of course I did. And then, like years later, he was interviewed again. He was like, yeah, I don't know, but it was a good story, wasn't it? And it, it seems. Uh, I, I grew up breaking my heart, leaving it because of this movie you're killing me, I know I know, but it seems that, uh, it may not have happened was it ruth that?
Speaker 3: that's that guy that they call Bobbity right?
Speaker 2: Everyone's favorite Met. It's the greatest Met of all time, majin. Buu Baby.
Speaker 3: Ruth.
Speaker 1: Majin Buu. It is crazy to think I mean, and there are, you know, there are, there are probably people who don't know, uh, you know, aaron judge, or, or juan soto, or any of the other big names out there, but uh, the fact that smalls doesn't know, babe ruth that.
Speaker 2: That was pretty yeah fascinating.
Speaker 3: Like I don't know the people that, the other people that you named, but I do know who babe ruth is, okay, and and like lou gehrig, and like I know some of like some of the oldies, but yeah, like these new guys, bro, you could throw a name out at me and be like, oh, is that my neighbor down the street?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. But uh, so uh to. You know, chime into uh rich's erin judge juan soto discussion um. Erin judge is a current yankee player who I think hit the home run record for a single season a couple years back. Right, it was like 62 home runs in a single season.
Speaker 1: He broke, uh, he broke the yankees roger maris's, uh, original. Well, the it's a little bit. If you look at the numbers it's a little. I think that judge legitimately almost did it or tied it and then overtook it because they used to play 154 games.
Speaker 2: So oh, so by by technicality he's, they're playing. The current yankees are playing more games, but yeah, it's I.
Speaker 1: I I looked up the stats. Uh, I actually did, because it was interesting that, like, even when the guy who broke the record before before judge, he broke it and people debated whether it was legitimate because the games had increased actually as well when he started playing, when he was playing.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of like you know boxing isn't up to 12 rounds anymore, or something like that so it's one of those things that the rules of the games are different, but and and juan soto is a former yankee, now a met player, probably your favorite player right, you'd say he's definitely got a lot of personality wait, hold on anthony.
Speaker 1: You gotta know. Shohei otani, for example, right, he don't know sure I don't know anybody shohei's literally like like you're, you're speaking chinese to me, okay no, he's japanese.
Speaker 3: And even even if I know more chinese than I do baseball players um, okay, hold on.
Speaker 2: So, uh, I have a little shohei otani story. Um, I didn't know him. I knew of him. I had never seen him like play or whatever. I just somehow never caught those those games. But, um, when he was with the what is it? The anaheim angels? Right? Yeah, he was with the anaheim Angels, right? Yeah, he was with the Anaheim Angels a couple years back and I was in Anaheim and we went to go see a Yankees game at a different stadium. So you know, we're rooting for Yankees, blah, blah, blah. I immediately clocked that this was a fantastic player. Like, I didn't know too much about this guy, but I started rooting for the other team just because, like, not because they were winning, but because, like that was like skill being demonstrated and I was just like that is really cool. Um, so, anyway, that's the kind of baseball fan I am not. I don't follow, uh, whoever's winning or whatever. I follow sportsmanship and you know, well done plays and stuff like that. That's that's what I'm here for. But even then, you know way more than I do. Yeah, I, I live in new york. It comes with the territory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, like you know I can tell you soccer stuff, but I can't tell you baseball. Yeah, I don't know, I don't know much about soccer I even I mean honestly, I know more football stuff and like I don't even really watch football like that.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, before we get too bogged down in sports stats and all that, let's talk a little bit about what we've been up to for the past two weeks, because we've been away for a week my fault, guys I was on vacation again. I just can't stay in my house. Anyway, let's start with you, anthony. What have you been up to? I feel like I haven't seen you in ages.
Speaker 3: I know, man, it's been ages. You know, after our you know 16 taco debacle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my gosh, I don't think we told Rich about that. Did we tell you that we, like we went to a place called Hole in the Wall in South Florida and Tuesdays they have $1 tacos. So you get a bunch of tacos for nothing. I was just like you want to just get, we'll get two of each of the. It was like four different types of tacos and I told the lady we'll get two each and I didn't't really catch what she said, like two each for each of you. And so, yeah, she, she loaded like eight tacos for each of us and you know, we we ate ourselves sick, but that was fun, it was a good time yeah, we took.
Speaker 3: We took those tacos up, man. So I've been watching. I've been watching a couple shows actually, uh, one of which, uh, was a couple weeks ago the second season of the last of us came out and that I'm a I'm a fan of the video game series and I was pretty blown away by that first season. So I knew, coming into the second season, it was going to be a little bit. It was going to be a little controversial, because when the game came out it was pretty controversial, especially with some of the stuff that happens. And but I mean, to be honest, like so far I've been enjoying it because they've been hitting like the beats and I know some of the some of the issues are like with the casting. The first season people had issues with the casting of ellie and they, you know, we kind of like accepted her, like you know Bella Ramsey's from Game of Thrones and I mean she has like the mannerisms and like the personality down which is like important to me and she looks close enough, you know. So it's not like they they're taking somebody that looks completely different, it's somebody that looks similarly enough and then, like the attitude or the, the personality, kind of like takes the rest of the way. And it's the same thing with another big character and this season is uh, abby, and so, like in the game she's like really, really jacked, but in the show she's like pretty, like skinny, but the actress that's portraying her looks close enough, I guess, like at least like feature wise, and she kind of has like a bit of the personality down. So for me, as, as long as like they hit the beats and like some of the, the deviations or adding, or anything that they add to it, kind of helps enhance the, the experience, rather than trying to completely change it, then then I'm I'm all for it, you know. So I mean, I've been enjoying it so far. I think that it's been pretty good, you know season two's been shocking a bunch of people yeah, oh yeah, absolutely especially after the last episode. But I knew that that was coming, because there's a whole like group of people that don't know what's happening unless, like they, you know somebody who's played the game or if they've watched the game, you know, or decide to play it after the first season. But yeah, no, it's. It's definitely like shocked some people and also I have been watching an anime. It's also on max and it's called lazarus and it's made by the same creator of cowboy bebop sick. Yeah, so it's pretty much of like this. Is it newer? Yeah, it's new. I think there's only like three, maybe four episodes out. Okay, so it's so. Yeah, it's it's new. But yeah, it's pretty much about like this ragtag team called lazarus and they're looking for this doctor that had created this um, kind of like miracle painkiller that would like just get rid of everything, and people are like using it for everything you know, like for actual pain, for like emotional pain, for they're using it in drugs and all that stuff. And then like news came out that after like I, like everybody that's used it, like they have this much time left before they die and so like the show kind of like picks it up where they have like a month to like find this guy and I guess like try to figure things out, and so it's. It's been interesting so far. I've been enjoying it's a cool concept yeah but, but yeah anything else but yeah, no, mostly, and then, like you know, hanging out with you when you came down, and that was fun, that's always fun. When, when, uh, when dakota shows up, yeah, when dakota shows up, and you know we tear it up, you know, especially with tacos we tore down eight tacos I was. I was like knocked out that night, like tacos, or tacos are about to like come back out, oh my gosh. But yeah, man, no, but yeah, other than that and the lady.
Speaker 2: The lady came back. She asked if we wanted more. I was like no, no, we were good. Yeah, yeah, we had a couple beers and tacos and we were out.
Speaker 3: But yeah, uh, how about you, dakota?
Speaker 2: I'll throw it over to you uh, yeah, so the the reason we are, we're out for a week, um is again my fault, my fault Went down to Florida, visited family. I have a, my cousin has a baby, so we're trying to, you know, go down there and, you know, see him as much as possible as he is, you know, in his developmental years. So that's been, that's been good. And I went to Disney World, spent a couple days there, stayed at Coronado Springs, which is really nice. It's like a Spanish-themed resort. Like a Spain-themed resort, oh nice. But it has an Aztec or Mayan ruin pool thing.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's cool.
Speaker 2: The pool is like this big like overlooking the pool, I should say is a big like pyramid, kind of like you would see at like an Epcot or whatever, or you know the Mexican periods, obviously. And yeah, that was fun. Theming of that resort was really cool and we decided we were just going to kind of, you know, try new foods and just not try to focus on the rides because you we tend to spend so much time in lines and stuff that. But anyway, we we decided to like like, really like, uh, go hard on like pin trading. And yeah, we we did, we were like really successful with that, like we found a lot of cool pins, um, throughout the parks and yeah, that was. That was a really good time. And since I've been back, I have been watching andor. Andor came out a couple days ago oh yeah, that too are you are you caught up? caught up?
Speaker 3: no, no, I'm just an episode. I had started episode two, but I haven't finished it, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've, I've finished the first three episodes and it's crazy good, like it's. I mentioned on Twitter, like you know, those dreams where you go on a crazy adventure. Everything is like super fun, you, you, or or you get like a gift, or you buy something, or you find something that is just exactly what you want in that dream, and then you wake up and it's gone Like, and you just like you're. There's a brief moment of like. Oh, I hate that so much. Well, I keep thinking like and or feels like it should be one of those things, like it shouldn't exist. You know like it feels like an adventure you would have in a dream like these are characters that shouldn't have their own tv show yeah but they do inexplicably. They have their own tv show. My cat is like going crazy in his litter box right now. Sorry, if you can hear that. Um, yeah, I, I'm like I was re-watching one of the episodes because I'm writing a short like video on it that should be out tomorrow. It should be out by the time that this podcast is up. Nice, and, yeah, I was writing a short script and I'm rewatching these episodes and I'm like, how does this exist? How did they like get the okay to like just spend hundreds of millions of dollars on Mon, mothma and andor and and, uh, a bunch of like really tertiary characters and somehow make it the best show of the year? Basically, like, if you look at the like the rotten tomato scores, the metacritic scores like this season, because you know, critics have reviewed the, the full season. They've seen the full season at this point, this season is the most, or the the highest reviewed season of television that has come out so far over these past four months this year anyway. But yeah, so it's, it's just crazy good. It's crazy good tv and I can't believe it exists. And um, yeah, I'm gonna be sad when it's over because they're doing three episode chunks, which is great because, uh, it does make sense that they're like showing every arc of what's going on um each week. But I'm gonna be sad when it's over because that's that's it. It'll basically catch up to rogue one and we know what happens from there yeah, yeah, pretty much, yeah, they.
Speaker 3: I remember showing you was that last last week that yeah, they had shifted from like that initial idea of like doing five seasons down to, like you know what we could do it in two.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but yeah it's.
Speaker 3: It's crazy because it is some of our best like star wars content and I agree with you. This is the. These are characters that we never really asked for, but like they gave it to us anyway and it's just oddly really good like it, just you know. And but speaking of that, like now while we're on topic, that is going to be so. Season one of andor is going to be our next two episodes. We're going to break it up into to two, two parts. I mean that that that's definitely a show that we have to break down in two parts.
Speaker 2: We can't do a one and done.
Speaker 3: We have to give it the same respect. We did that with Skeleton Crew, so we 100% have to do that with Andor.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, so I'm excited to cover that and, honestly, by the the time we could probably go straight through andor season one and andor season two, like in four episodes.
Speaker 3: If we decide to do that, we could, we could take a break after the first season, of course but yeah, I would say, give people kind of some time to like catch up because it is fresh and new, yeah, um yeah, so that's what we're going to be covering next week for episode 118 and 119.
Speaker 2: So 118 is going to be the first six episodes of season one of andor, and the second, or 119, will be the last six episodes of the first season. So we're going to do two arcs each and, yeah, that'll be good. Yep rich, let's send it over to you. What have you been up?
Speaker 1: to one. Uh, by the way, it's foolhardy to think that after we do two episodes of Andor that we're going to take a break. We're going to be so jazzed up that we're going to be like let's go, because it's going to just have ended, basically.
Speaker 2: By the time we finish episode 119, I'm just going to be like one way out, One way out.
Speaker 1: Well, so it's funny because I've I mean, you know, we have similar interests probably. Why, uh, we get together once a week, so uh, I don't even know you're watching I, uh, I was also, so, you know, over the the kind of break we've had. I, uh, I. I also went away, though I did go to oaxaca, mexico, uh, so got to check out a bunch of cool stuff. Went to see the petrified waterfall. Pulled my back before I went on an hour hike up a mountain which was fun, that's crazy. Slightly afraid of falling, I don't mind the heights, but I don't want to be on like like when everyone goes to the edge to take a picture. I'm like no, it's okay, I'll just go hold that tree there, you know and not fall off of this thing, uh, but that's, that's fair and and fairly normal actually.
Speaker 2: I I hear tell that you've had 22 hot dogs this year and your favorite was a mexican hot dog yes, it was actually a uh, I had the fantastic this is not hyperbole, no, I'm, I've been asked to count how many hot dogs I've had during the year.
Speaker 1: So I'm taking in my notes on my iPhone. I have, you know, one note dedicated to hot dogs and I'm just writing down when I've had them, what kind they were, like you know give them a grief rating like out of 10. Yeah, well, like one day at school, like I thought I was going to end up getting like chicken nuggets and instead they didn't have chicken nuggets. And my student said you know, I just saw the chili cheese dog and I just thought that you'd love it. And I was like you thought right. You thought right, kid. I suddenly became Wilson Fisk when I thought about that. I did have, but in Mexico I got to. We're coming home. I got to see a living legend, one of the uh micro estrellas of lucha libre, that's, the uh, the mini guys, the little people. This guy's name is que bonito. He wears a blue gorilla costume. He's been in the business for like 40 years and my son and I got to meet him.
Speaker 2: So that was great and then still doing it oh well, he's not wrestling, uh, he's just.
Speaker 1: Uh, he's just performing, he. He just showed up. He didn't even perform, he just literally. It was like a line to meet him. Gotta take picture with him I gotcha, yeah, yeah like sometimes, uh, independent shows are really big on getting a star to not even wrestle, just be there and then you watch the other guys. And the way home we didn't there, nothing was open. So saw a street cart and saw hot dogs and I was like, why not? And they slathered some mayo on there. There was an offer of jalapenos, which I turned down because I didn't want to die, but diced tomatoes, which other than a Chicago dog, I rarely have on a hot dog. That's interesting, but it all came together beautifully. Grilled onions I had two. I was very pleased. One of the reasons why I know I'm going to get to 50 this year, as I always do, is because all you're asking me to do is hey, rich, have hot dogs 25 times a year and if I have them 25, I'm going to have two, right, so guarantee.
Speaker 2: Oh, so you always get two, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you always get two. Okay, yeah, I always get two, you don't get one.
Speaker 2: I mean, what's the point, you know? And then so the mets. Was it kind of like street corn in that respect, where they kind of doctor it up in a way? That is just like super pleasurable, okay, nice it was, uh, it was, it was really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was delicious. And you know, uh, I mean I had some five dollar dogs from uh city field which they taste delicious because you're paying less, so I can.
Speaker 2: I'm watching Anthony's face. I don't know if he believes the conversation that we're having. He's just. It looks like he's just trying to see if, like, we're being serious about this hot dog conversation or if we're just BSing for the sake of it. For the past two minutes, what?
Speaker 3: what, what part of? What part of it? I mean because him talking about a hot dog getting dressed up in Mexico, I mean I totally believe it. Elote is one of my favorite things, but him getting to eating 50 hot dogs, I mean in 365 days, very plausible. Now, if you're saying 1,000, then okay, that'd be something else.
Speaker 2: Anthony's doing the math out here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, 1,000 would be ridiculous. No, that would be weird. 'd be something else. Anthony's doing the math out here. Yeah, it doesn't be ridiculous. No, that would be. But I love it. But other than other than hot dogs. I just uh watched Andor as well. I'm I'm two episodes in. I'm a little behind because I wasn't able to watch a lot when I was away and I uh, I did. Uh, I finished Daredevil, uh Born Again, and I also started Last of Us. So can I jump in a couple?
Speaker 2: of things, how was Daredevil Born? Again, I haven't watched most of it.
Speaker 1: I thought it was fantastic. Honestly, I very rarely I had my breath taken away by some of the violence, and I don't think it's just because it was violent, but the way they told the story so that when the violence happened it kind of knocked the wind out of me and kind of shook me a little bit. To be honest with you in a good way, feel I also you know, maybe I'll put it up with uh, actually, like joel will, last of us, right, uh, where some of that violence just goes, it just takes your breath away. You're, you're like, oh man, what's, why do I keep? You know, why would I keep watching this almost? And that's how I, uh I felt a couple times. You look it, look they, they're there. If you want to poke holes in it, you can poke holes in it. I and I know that some people maybe have said heard me like I'm kind of a marvel and star wars show apologist sometimes, but I didn't like secret war, a secret invasion. Okay, like I do have a line of self-respect, but I actually really do recommend daredevil if you liked the street low, if you like the netflix show, and, honestly, even if you didn't watch the netflix show, you'd still be okay, but it's definitely way better if you did watch the netflix okay, good to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll definitely watch it eventually. Um, I was waiting for it to fully come out before I, you know, kind of I wanted to binge it like netflix style. I didn't want to wait week after week. But yeah, I'll definitely get to that eventually. Another show, you know now that we're, you know, on the topic, I don't think you guys have seen episode three of andor season two yet. It it is. Uh, it does have a scene that is definitely not kid friendly. So just if you're listening and you haven't seen Andor season two, don't show your kids that.
Speaker 3: Well, even honestly like the show is probably not going to really interest them.
Speaker 2: No, they're not going to understand it. Yeah, it's so subtle in like what it's trying to portray and it does a really good job of that subtlety. But yeah, it's heavy stuff when it can be. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I agree, all right guys. Should we talk about Bad News?
Speaker 2: Bears of that subtlety, but but yeah, it's, it's, it's heavy stuff when it, when it can be, yeah, I agree, all right, guys, should we talk about bad news? Bears? I mean, uh, sandlot, oh wait, not league of their own, not league of their own. No, I'm all right, I haven't. I haven't seen it, guys, I'm sorry. Uh, no, let's, uh, let's, let's do sandlot is that?
Speaker 3: this is that wiffle ball movie, right, wiffle ball yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: It's the game that never ends in like some guy's back backyard. Yeah, all right. So this is the first time I've seen this since I was I don't know. It must have been like summer camp that they played this. It wouldn't. It wasn't a movie that I would have ever like willingly put on. It was never like in my wheelhouse. It was, you know, just something that was around during my childhood and I think it was even. It predated me a little bit, because this, this was a 93 movie. I was born in 91. So by the time I was old enough to really appreciate it, it had probably cycled out a little bit. Anthony, you're probably in the same boat as me cycled out a little bit.
Speaker 3: Anthony, you're probably in the same boat as me, yeah, well, I mean absolutely, but this is a movie that I had seen a handful of times as a kid. I've said it a couple times, I'm not really somebody that sits down to watch baseball, but this is one of those movies that has been around. I've watched it as a kid, I've I watched it, you know, again like as I got. I've seen it like a handful of times, like oh, over the years and you know I definitely do like appreciate it. It's it's for me. It's not, you know I, I know that like baseball's the backdrop, but what gets me is like this group of friends and kind of like the like coming of age story that they have going on and dude, it's got my boy, james Earl Jones, in it.
Speaker 2: Come on now. I totally forgot he was in that movie. So like when he showed up at the end I was like, oh yeah. But you know, when I was a kid, I didn't know who James Earl Jones was.
Speaker 1: You know, he kind of sounded like Mufasa. When I was a kid. I didn't know who james r jones was. You know, he kind of sounded like mufasa when I was a kid. But, yeah, rich, when was the last time you saw this? So it's been a while since I've seen it, but it had, it had to. It was pretty regular viewing, I mean my friends and I. So when this came out I was 11. Uh, this, okay, so it's perfect age. Yeah, I, I don't. It's hard for me even to pull this apart because, yeah, I mean I'm 11. You're putting me in about sixth grade, right? So the thing is, I lived a couple blocks away from the park. We would get a bunch of kids together, wasn't a bunch of us, me and a friend. We found this spot next to the school build, the public school building near the basketball courts that had a fence that essentially could form our catcher backstop and allowed us to like we. You know, we'd have rules. If you hit the ball on the stairs, it was a triple. If you hit over on the orange above the window, it was a. So we basically made rules to make up for the fact that we didn't have fielders and it was just us playing a one-on-one and I mean, I, I so did I watch sandlot and then say, hey, let's go to the park, or did, were we doing that? and sandlot came out and we were like, oh, that's great. I can't separate those two, to be honest, but it's it's right around the same time when this movie came out, I was out gathering as many people as I could in the neighborhood to try to go play baseball, so this came out at the perfect time for me. In my life I saw it a bunch of times and I think the only reason I didn't watch it more was because we wanted to watch, like the adult baseball movies, you know. So we're like, oh, we're gonna watch major league. It's rated r, you know. And we, we liked that so much and felt like we were breaking the rules that that one kind of replaced sandlot.
Speaker 2: Okay, but this was always close to your heart just because it kind of mirrored your own childhood.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool yeah, other than you know, like I didn't grow up in the 50s. Uh, just just what you want to clarify for the audience that's good to know.
Speaker 2: Uh, I mean I wouldn't have guessed with.
Speaker 3: You know the amount of times that you're like oh, I'm ancient, you know?
Speaker 1: I thought you were born in 1945 man, I mean I wasn't, you know, I wasn't the crowd during the filming of I love Lucy. Was it no, no, no I was like wait what I was like, how long did I Love?
Speaker 2: Lucy run.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's funny, yeah.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about some of the characters, some of the motivations of said characters and the journey that they go on. Let's start with, obviously, smalls, who moves into this neighborhood in the early 60s and is immediately just almost incapable of getting friends because he just doesn't know what he's doing. He likes the idea of playing baseball. He wants to learn how to play catch. He's always asking his, his stepdad, to teach him catch and he just doesn't get it. Like he did, something isn't clicking for him until he meets this group of kids. What do you guys think of smalls at this?
Speaker 3: point in the movie Small smalls like his, his just like kind of social interactions and just like his just ability to do things, almost makes it seem like he was born yesterday, like it's like, dude, what's happening? That's a good point. Are you a robot? Like? Are you a real person? Is this really happening?
Speaker 2: He does, kind of you know, act like Haley Joel Osment in AI.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, oh my gosh but yeah, it's like dude, what like you know? Like what do you need like a software upgrade, like what's going on? But I mean he, he is like the, pretty much like the main character and most of it is or the, the movie is like narrated by like an older version of him a few times.
Speaker 2: A few times it confused me the narration because it would be like narrating him but focused on his, his friend, I think benny.
Speaker 3: Benny was the name of the friend yeah, yeah, benny rodriguez, the like, other kind of like main character yeah, the, the, the guy who helps him become who he eventually becomes, yeah, um, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: I really liked, uh, their interactions because he, benny, is the older of the sandlot kids, of the neighborhood kids, and he doesn't ever hold that against anybody in the crew. He's actually a very like, kind-hearted person because I don't think there's ever a scene where he does something selfish or something belittling to the other players or characters. Rather, and he really takes Smalls under his wing where the other seven kids are actively bullying this guy who doesn't know what he's doing, can't throw a ball, can't catch anything, doesn't know what he's doing, can't throw a ball, can't catch anything, doesn't understand where center left field is. You know he doesn't know anything. He doesn't. He thinks babe ruth is a, is a hot girl. His, his dad knew, uh, I love that. You know they had all these nicknames for babe ruth and he's with them every day, but somehow, like by the end of the movie he still doesn't get like who babe ruth is, who the great bambino is that part is to me the weirdest.
Speaker 1: I don't he spends enough. Okay, we have to accept that there's a good, there's a passage of days and time, right, yeah, and I don't know Bill's schedule, all right, I don't know how often he's away on business, but I just don't understand, because it's like right after the first day of him being like a normal boy, like his Pinocchio moment where Benny helps him and gives him a glove and everything, and, you know, gives him a glove and everything. Like I'm surprised that, like, we don't get a scene at a dare room table where he's like hey, bill, I'm playing the baseballs that you like, and bill goes oh, the baseballs, I got a baseball signed by you know this, the sultan of swing, you know and and goes and shows him like that's a good point, yeah, it's. It's just so weird that this giant life change happens, right, like he goes from his mom being like I'm scared that you're going to kill yourself because of your erector sets, and now he has this new thing in his life, because it doesn't bother me that he doesn't know at first, it bothers me at the end, when he still doesn't know who it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just kind of goes to show oh sorry end when he still doesn't know who it is. Yeah, it just kind of goes to show oh sorry, um. It kind of just goes to show how, like out of touch the father or the stepdad is clearly doesn't want to help this kid. You know, play catch. I mean he doesn't. I think he does want to be in the kid's life, but he's completely self-absorbed in in his, his career and his job and is always putting the kids second place until his mother basically like coerces him, like no, you're going to do this now. And what I will say is that the mom I think the mom knows that like he is playing with his friends, playing baseball, like he's constantly telling mom, I'm going to go play a game or I'm going out with my friends, like he's constantly telling mom, I'm going to go play a game or I'm going out with my friends, so he seems to have a good relationship with his mom.
Speaker 1: And the mom most likely knows that he's playing baseball. Do you think that it was that his first dad, Indiana Jones, was never around to play catch with him and that's why he doesn't know how to play catch?
Speaker 2: Wait, what you threw me with Indiana Jones. Well, we know his father. I'm trying to like make that connection.
Speaker 1: Father's missing his mother in the movie is played by the uh the actress. Uh, who's? Oh, marianne, oh, I was wondering, so now, maybe this is like you know, indy's baby that he had with the young girl and, uh, boom, sandlot I forgot, I totally forgot that that's.
Speaker 2: I love the casting.
Speaker 1: I just that's kind of my way of just uh like, I liked, uh, I think, leary as a kind of deadbeatish. Uh, stepdad uh works really well. I mean I just buy it. I mean he, he plays like a you know jerky character so well that I think it was great. I I thought, uh, she really kind of looks like a 1960s mom, so it she does you know I bought it and it was I, I don't know for me, I know it's. I know anthony you were saying that, like he doesn't know anything. But we were talking about this just before the show started. Like it's like, as I was starting to watch sandlot, like I've been wanting my son, I we've kind of had the conversation in the house like the kids are on the block, why aren't you outside, like go play with them, you know. And it's almost like I went to go watch the movie and suddenly he's like dad, I'm going to go play wiffle ball with some of the guys in the backyard. And I was like yes, yes, go, go, go, go. You know, like he just knows not to take my Doc Gooden. He's like Dad, you have this baseball signed by your dentist, doc Gooden, and I'm like what are you talking about? But luckily I've taught him enough that he knows who Doc Gooden is. So for me I don't know if it was just the timing of my life, but now, after watching it as a kid, I kind of watched it as a dad and so I kind of appreciated it as a dad. So I kind of appreciated those kind of interactions and the parents or the mom sentiment that she wants him to go out and make friends and get. What does she say? You're supposed to fall down, you're supposed to get scrapes on your knees and go get hurt Not too hurt, but just enough.
Speaker 2: Go get into trouble she says, which is an interesting, it's very hurt, but just enough, Go get into trouble. She says. Which is an interesting? It's very. Yeah, she is right, you never hear parents say go get into trouble and mean it. So I like that. I like her as a character. She seems really cool and, yeah, the casting for the mom and the stepdad was really well done. Anthony, what are your thoughts on the parents?
Speaker 3: You guys pretty much nailed it down. You know the mom was so concerned with him not making friends so I know that you know when he would kind of go out and be like, oh, I'm playing baseball with friends, like I mean, that made her happy. So I know that she really didn't really care for that and I guess that gave the stepfather an out also or you can play catch with them. I don't really have to do that now.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point, actually. If he's preoccupied with his friends, he's not in the house. He's not asking me to step away from work, right.
Speaker 3: And this all takes place during the summer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one thing I really liked about the Sandlot re-watching it and, rich, I'm happy to hear that your son is kind of having that moment where he's playing with the kids around the block and doing what kids are supposed to be doing in the summers, because you don't see that too much anymore. Every, everyone plays video games. Now everyone you know kind of meets online. Um, and you know, anthony, you and I like we grew up, uh, doing stupid stuff around our neighborhoods.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I would that. I would say millennials were like kind of like that last, that last generation that got that I mean, because we did have our indoor time, we did play video games, um, but we also did spend time, uh, outdoors. So like we were kind of like one you know, one foot in and one foot out, just like go outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Your dad would literally like kick us out of the house and like play outside. My dad would kick us out and just go to the corner store and grab like something. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, and like we would ride bikes like down the street. Like you know, that was like a 15 or so minute like bike. You know the bike ride over so you know, yeah, you're definitely not gonna be seeing many kids, like you know, leave their neighborhood and go out somewhere else, but yeah, it was it was cool seeing that um depicted in san la is what I'm trying to get.
Speaker 2: That, you know, like the, the idea that, um, this is capturing that moment in that summer with these, uh, nine individuals, and it was just basically a perfect summer until it wasn't obviously um, you know, there was a little bit of a hiccup near the end but, um, I, I really love the, just that, that depiction of like the perfect summer for a kid, and we've, we've all had that, at least on this podcast. We have all had the perfect summer. I don't know how, I don't know about kids these days.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping that they do um, but yeah, yeah, I mean we, we, we spend a lot of summers outdoors too, you going to the day camp and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also it's a depiction of a time now gone, where your parents didn't care where you were. That does not happen anymore. There's no Parents have to care nowadays. And yeah, it's, it's, it's just cool, it was it's cool, but it's also like sobering because, like life isn't like that anymore and it's a shame.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, definitely it's nice, like kind of getting a glimpse of a time. You know it's a time capsule, so yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny because it's very clearly a 90s movie but it's also very clearly a 60s movie and it kind of bridges those gaps pretty well because it plays like a 90s movie. You know, it's very much directed almost like a Ferris Bueller's Day Off kind of vibe, putting it as a period piece a couple decades before that, I think it's like 30 years before, or something like that. It does a really good job of just capturing, you know, two different eras. Yeah, it's like double nostalgia, I guess. For me it's nostalgia for a time that I never knew and a time that I was born into.
Speaker 1: So uh, the end of the movie recap, where I think it's uh, is it? Yeah, yeah, uh, the who fakes his, he fakes drowning in the pool, yeah, and I think at the end the recap, if I'm correct, is that he, he ends up marrying that lifeguard and they have nine children. Yes and like I like how that's supposed to be, like undercover, like he's a wild sexual stallion, like that was like a line for the parents. You know, like, because you know like kids are, you know, if you're just a kid, you're like, oh, that's a lot of, that's a lot of siblings and stuff right. But you know, when you hear like nine, like that lady was pregnant for 10 years more um and uh.
Speaker 3: It's funny because, like you know, some of the stuff that they get into really does remind me of, like you know, just like you know, being within a group of kids and then like egging on that one kid to go talk, to talk to that girl that he likes yeah, I think a lot of that happened there, wendy peppercorn yeah, yeah, yeah. It's funny. There's definitely, you know, like growing up that age there's there's definitely a lot of you know you always had like that crush, I think the character was Squints.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his name was Squints Squints yeah, I know that because I was trying to like piece, like they say, each of the kids' names, like really quickly in the beginning and I don't remember most of them. But I remember Squints because he takes his glasses off, rubs it on his face and then pokes himself in the eye. And he starts laughing and looking at the camera like did I do something wrong? I love that I had to go back. I was just like that's a really fun, like gaffe that that they just kept in I was even, uh, I was laughing.
Speaker 1: So when, uh, you know, they're trying to get smallss, benny's trying to get Smalls accepted and he just says, like, stand there, put your glove out. You know, close your eyes, catch the ball and he's able to hit it to him. You know, it wasn't the same, but I was playing with my friend and we were playing we actually had a full like squad, so we had like nine on nine and I was talking a little bit of trash to him so he purposely hit it at me. All right, and remembering the movie, I literally just kind of took two steps forward and I said, and he was screaming at me, this thing and I, I just closed my eyes and I just closed my eyes and I opened the glove and just seren, it went into my glove and I just closed and he, like afterwards, he was just like you're, he's like that was pure luck and I was like, yeah, 100. I was like it's just like sandlot, like I, you know. But you know, sandlot it was skill, like I, I literally it was the skill of the batter, you know, and I still put it on my, my friend, uh, bruno, he, he hit him. I mean, it just so happened that I got lucky and protected myself with the glove, but uh, that's, that scene was great. I mean, there's just so happened that I got lucky and protected myself with the glove, but that scene was great. I mean, there's just so many fun moments and, like you said, the character Benny being just so absolutely Wholesome. Yeah, and it's not like the characters at Seven Heaven who I want to just assault. They're supposed to be wholesome but they're not really wholesome.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, yeah, yeah okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I, I. I find no malice in him, and not because he's a poorly developed character Like I or like too much of a caricature, it's just like he's that nice of a guy.
Speaker 2: He's, he's just the. He's the guy that is always doing the right thing. Yeah, Um, yeah, so that, so that was cool. Benny's awesome. I like that idea, though I don't know if I like it, but I thought it was funny. Where to unlock Small's power, all he needed was a little bit of luck from another or a skill from another player. Just close your eyes, lift up your glove Don't keep your eye on the ball, because why would you need to do that and it goes into his glove and then it's just like baseball unlocked and he can throw. Now he can hit the ball now, he can catch now it's a confidence thing, you know I guess so but.
Speaker 3: But you know it's, it's. It's crazy, though, like the the, you know the supposed precision that that benny had with that bat. You know, on par with the the called shot. Hey, you know like, yeah, just stand over there, I'm gonna hit it right to you. So yeah, but you know that, that, that, that's that's interesting um there's also. Ham, which is like another character, that kind of like, sticks out a little bit.
Speaker 2: He's like the larger ginger kid yeah, no, um, sorry, you mentioned the cold shot again and I'm still thinking about it. And rich, you ruined a beautiful moment in my head.
Speaker 1: I was just like that is legendary, like like I didn't mean to do it like, like what? Happened was I literally stopped the movie and said you know what I got? My son needs to know about the cold shot, right oh, so you wanted to.
Speaker 2: You wanted to get as much information about it as possible yes, I was like you know, is there video?
Speaker 1: and I start reading that like and it's recent, like a couple years ago. I mean this has like been mostly it wasn't. It's not like it's been discussed for a very long time. It's like a very recent thing. If you just like put in the cold shot like it's been discussed for a very long time, it's like a very recent thing. If you just like put in the cold shot like it starts to, you know it's like did it really happen?
Speaker 2: And I'm just like no, it broke my heart act. Or the single hardest or most difficult action in any sport is to hit a baseball at the speeds that pitchers pitch. You know, nowadays they pitch like 90 mile an hour balls regularly. That's just the norm, and you get about a second, if not less than a second, to decide whether you're going to swing or not, and then you actually have to make contact with the ball where you want it, on the bat. It's said to be the single most difficult action to do in any sport. So the idea of someone being able to not only do that but kind of call your shot like you're playing billiards know eight ball in that pocket, or, yeah, eight ball in that pocket to do that and then hit the ball on the on the next pitch and make that that play it's. It's just kind of a such an incredible story that I I've always kind of just assumed it was real, but now I don't believe it anymore. Um, but it is to baybrood's credit. That is a really cool, uh story. I would have definitely ran with it for a couple years until, you know, I was just tired of, but it is to Babe Ruth's credit. That is a really cool story. I would have definitely ran with it for a couple of years until you know. I was just tired of it.
Speaker 1: They kind of made the point that baseball players were very proud back then, you know, I mean, even in the 90s they were more proud than they are now and they would defend themselves. And one thing would happen is if a guy did that, the very next pitch would be at his head right like. It'd be like uh, you can't hit this one so yeah yeah, that's. Uh, you know that that's part of the problem with like accepting that it happened, because in that era they just would have plunked them right away it also kind of amazes me, like the evolution.
Speaker 3: So you know kind of like the evolution of that sport and it's in like line with with other other sports. But like, if you look at babe ruth, that man looks like after after he, or he looked like after he played baseball. He just like he. He had beers and hot dogs all the time, like he was chubby, like you know he, he was like a chubby guy during it.
Speaker 2: You know, chubby during it, yeah, you know so.
Speaker 3: So like you know like he, he wasn't built like an athlete, but that man you know he did what he did, so you know it's, it's wild. And then, like you look at um athletes now you know baseball players, uh, I would say like, like, most of them are like pretty built and cut and they go through. You know there's training and and I'm pretty sure that there's like there's like a you know a fat percentage that they have to stay below.
Speaker 2: So well, you'd be surprised though there's some big dudes. There's some big dudes. I have some facts baseball.
Speaker 3: Um, I mean that I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 2: Football I wouldn't be surprised either oh yeah, oh, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 1: I have a fact about babe ruth and hot dogs, uh, tying everything together here. Uh, so it is uh that there is a legendary story of babe ruth. During a double header, between two games, he ate between 12 and 24 hot dogs. It is the numbers that the bear we know. The bare minimum is 12 hot dogs between two games and eight bottles of soda eight bottles of soda so, uh, you know I this is. And then he ended up blacking out and a week later uh had to get go surgery for intestinal abscesses. So it seems that, uh, the only thing that could stop babe ruth was, uh was indeed the hot dog hot dogs and soda.
Speaker 2: Yep, it was probably the the eight bottles of soda like that's a lot of that is yeah, and that a lot of sugar, a lot of carbonation, real sugar, you know the, yeah, that real cocaína sugar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, back then right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crazy, rich. What's your take on the? It's kind of like pitchers weren't pitching as fast as they are today back then, in Babe Ruth's time. How do you think he would stand in today's sport? And also, one thing people never really compare is they'll say, oh, he'd never be able to play in today's sport. The game has moved on from that. Skill level is not the same, it's not comparable. But if you take someone like him who's naturally talented and put them in the training regimen that these other players today are the same, it's not comparable. But if you take someone like him who's naturally talented and put them in the training regimen that these other players today are, where do you think he'd stand? You know, just based on the comparative level of skill that he had back then. What do you think? So?
Speaker 1: I think that some of his success had to be attributed to the fact that pitchers pitched the entire game, so you have okay, not only do we have an uptick in speed because the truth is like they still had guys who you know they didn't have obviously the radar guns the way they do now and they judged it differently. But there were guys who definitely threw really, uh, could throw fast, but now the thing is it's more of a chess match. So I've seen you now twice already today. You've thrown me your best pitches. Maybe I picked up on how you release your changeup and now I can see it coming on my third and fourth at bat. So, and you had fewer pitchers in the league, you had fewer, fewer teams. So you also have this idea where, oh, it's this guy again. I've seen him x number of times over the last three years. Uh, there was less free, there wasn't free agency, so you didn't have guys just going around from team to team, so you had guys with the same team for longer time, so these guys got to see the same pitchers. Yeah, I think that he would have. Not, I don't think he'd put up the numbers that he did back then. I think that he had an advantage then. But I think that with the training regimen I think he would have still been a very good athlete he was also he was a pitcher and a batter he and he was a very actually accomplished pitcher. He pitched way more than I think a lot of us actually think. Like that he it wasn't just kind of a flash in the pan for a couple years. So obviously no, the only thing is well, we're watching it with otani. He's the only real other baseball player at that level that's ever pitched and and and kind of batted consistently yeah uh. So I don't think that even otani is going to keep pitching. If it's, if it's, if it's my money, I wouldn't. Even they're just going to ease him out of it at some point it's yeah, it's just too dangerous on the muscles, maybe maybe keep him as like a random reliever that, like in the playoffs, it's like, oh, oh, my god, shohei otani's coming in a pitch, right, you know, that's an interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an interesting, interesting perspective. I like that, and it does make sense that there were less players in the league. There was less teams in the league. You were gonna encounter the same people regularly pitching the same curveballs that they they normally do, and you're gonna you're gonna learn their tricks, and that's a good point. About pitchers pitching the full game when did they stop that? And obviously you still have some games where, like, pitchers will pitch the full game. It's just not a regular occurrence, right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean as recently as 2015, like in that, I can you know. I just remember like one of the mets in the uh world series actually almost pitched a full nine innings. Uh, when, and that was really rare, like, that was like whoa, like, especially in the play.
Speaker 2: It would need to be a perfect, like almost a perfect, game nowadays before, like, unless or is it. Is it based on innings that they, you know, call a pitcher or based on the number of pitches?
Speaker 1: number of pitches really is most of the time what they do now. Uh, you know, whereas, like in the 80s, still into the 90s, you still had a fairly rare occurrence I mean I'm not, I mean a fairly all it fairly happened often that you would see a guy go a whole game. I know that doc gooden, in the 80s still, he lost a game, he that he pitched 10 innings. You know, uh, that's just crazy to think. Uh, nowadays it happens once in a blue moon, but it's's very, very rare for that to occur.
Speaker 2: And I think it really like what I was saying, anthony, to pitch a perfect game. I think it's only happened like four or five times in history. It's basically like you strike everybody out, you don't walk a single person, they don't make a single hit at bat, and it's, it's like it, you, you run through every inning so fast that you never get tired. Basically it's it's uh, yeah, and it's only happened a couple times. So, yeah, it's very rare uh, I'll just jump in.
Speaker 1: Uh, so it is super rare, but it has happened 24 times shockingly I I okay yeah I knew the number four was in there.
Speaker 2: Let's, let's jump back in yeah, let's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're over. Well, as far as like recording, we're over the hour mark, let's just. Uh, so you know, we kind of we talked a little bit, not not about all the characters, to be honest, like not every character is memorable. I would say like really just like for them, and then like it kind of trickles down like after that I like the younger brother that uh repeated everything the older brother said. I thought that was oh, um, and then, yeah, you, you talked about like how it was a perfect, perfect summer and that summer turns to not be so perfect and that's because, uh, smalls decides to use his stepfather's babe, ruth, signed baseball to play baseball and it goes over. It goes over the the fence into the yard where, like this, guy supposedly had like the beast or like the monster, like the monster creature in his yard and it really just ended up being a really large dog and it was owned by James Earl Jones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really like the depiction of the beast throughout the whole thing, because this is obviously very much pre-CGI. So they're using big puppets to to, like you know, showcase the size of this gigantic dog thing and how like evil and like and and huge it is. And every time they try to get the ball back he does something absolutely insane, like that's that's. That's the part that gets me is like he's like destroying like all this, like mechanical equipment. He's destroying all this mechanical equipment. He just puts his paw down. He destroys this pot. He's an extremely powerful dog, but when you actually see him he's just an English Mastiff. They're big dogs. They can get up to 200 pounds, but they ain't that big. It up to like 200 pounds, but they ain't that big. Um, so I I like the idea that these kids have like built up this dog in their head to to a degree that you know he is the beast, like they have legends about this dog that you know predate their their time in the sandlot. I I think it's fun yeah, no, it really was.
Speaker 3: And like that, the whole chase scene between the dog and benny. Like you know, benny like he puts on like this nice pair of shoes to like run in, and um that that the whole chase scene between the dog and Benny, like you know, benny, like he puts on like this nice pair of shoes to like run in, and that that the whole chase scene was like really fun. But it's really cool when they like do finally get to meet the, the owner and he's just like a really cool, like blind dude that really loves baseball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like he. He. You know there's a little kind of Easter egg. I don't know if you guys noticed. I can't remember the character's name. I remember him as Jesse, just because I remember him from the Mighty Ducks movies. He's the pitcher. He was wearing a hat that had a KC on it and it was red, and that's from the Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro Leagues. So I just thought, and then you end up, and then you end up having James Earl Jones, who you know was a Negro League player essentially, and he had his picture taken with, with Ruth and I think it's Gehrig at the end. I think it's LeGuerre again so that was kind of like a little because I noticed, just because when I play mlb the show you play in some of the nico league, uh, like games, and so I recognized the cap and then. And then when they kind of reveal, that's cool, I would have never, I would have never caught that.
Speaker 2: I was like nice, I wrote some notes down or just like some, some things I, you know, either liked, or like quotes that I liked, but like one thing that, like you know, we we're still. I'm still a little flabbergasted that this kid never figured out who babe ruth was, who the great bambino was, because he even writes down in his notes like uh, baseball stuff to remember and number one is who is great bambino? He just never asks anyone. I, I love it, I love that kid. I do really like the recap at the end where it kind of just goes on to say that no summer was quite like that first one, and I think that may not have actually been true, but the way our memory works, like the further back in time we go, the the the nicer the memories get, or like the more uh, adventurous and magical our memories get. So I I kind of like that you know each as they they grew up and grew apart. Like he still remembered all of these characters and I like the little recap that we get of everybody, especially squints and wendy peffercorn and then yeah, I loved uh that he's.
Speaker 1: You know he's calling the game and uh yeah benny's like, uh, a veteran at this point and uh, I mean it's so I you know anything? I know you don't watch a lot of baseball, so I the the that part is so ridiculous, all right, because, like, when you bring a pinch runner in right, there's already this idea that they might steal. All right, so they're being watched a little bit more. Okay, stealing home plate is I I've only like legitimately seen it. I've never seen it. I think I've seen it one time, like like over the course of like regular baseball watching, like not like espn showed me like I was watching a game and it ever happened and I I mean I can't tell you how many baseball games I've watched.
Speaker 2: So the fact is, you're in, you're, you're in the peripheral of the pitcher, like, so, like the. The idea of you being able to like outrun the pitcher to home play is just, you're not running the ball, you're, you're out running the how a 90 mile an hour.
Speaker 1: Throw the ball everybody has to not be paying attention. And the thing is, he was brought in with the purpose of doing what he did, so like every, and he was known for being fast and that's what he was good at. So like everybody would have been looking at him. So the fact that he just saunters up the crowd is chanting for a pinch runner, right, which never happens, all right. So they're chanting this guy's name and then he just casually takes home plate. Uh, is, is. It is almost like calling your own shot in the in the world series. I mean, it's kind of.
Speaker 3: He's just. You know, he's just a legend, like that man. That's just what he does. You know that's Benny man.
Speaker 2: Benny Rodriguez.
Speaker 3: Benny steals them on the daily man Dude. He steals home plate like stealing candy from a baby man.
Speaker 2: Jesus, my wife told me about a new slang, uh at school that she has been hearing 10 toes down. Basically it just means, like you, you've got your your ish together. Like you've got your your toes to the ground. So he, benny, was 10 toes down yeah, 10 toes down I haven't?
Speaker 3: I work at the same school, damn it well, get, get, get caught up on it, rich. Yeah, I don't know, Did you guys have any last minute things that you wanted to add to this? I mean, it's definitely a fun movie to watch. There's no deep lore. I mean, the characters are the characters. It's a fun story and if you haven't seen it in a while and you you remember having fond memories of it, go back and watch it. Yeah, I watched it on disney plus, so it should be on there it's still there, guys.
Speaker 2: It's on disney plus. Yeah, last last thoughts I really liked the july 4th scene. I just thought that was just a really I did too I don't know, it's a man. It's like july 4th already has a kind of magical feel. But like playing baseball, I can't imagine. And like seeing stuff like that it must have been really cool. But anyway, I really like that. I like the movie, I had a good time with it and, yeah, would watch again, would even watch another baseball movie. I'm not a big like sports movie kind of guy but I agree, I would. I would do it, I would watch another baseball movie.
Speaker 3: I tell that to rich I, I didn't hear me.
Speaker 1: I I think, uh, I mean I loved it. You know, I look, I, I like I can watch the most baseball baseball movie and I can also just watch it as a backdrop as well and enjoy it. And you, you know, I don't know, like you guys kind of like said earlier, the things aren't the same. I mean, maybe my kid outside playing with his friends has given me a little hope that maybe it keeps going. It's given me hope. For me. A lot of my summers were centered around baseball. You know, it really was uh, watch of some baseball movie, play a little baseball on super nintendo, uh, go get sunflower seeds. So you looked like the guys, because in that time they could still chew tobacco and uh, you know, and go play and then uh, and then do it again the next day. That those were our summers, uh, and so this to me is like you know, I didn't grow up in the same time period, but it just it very much was reminiscent of, of kind of like, how I spent my time and uh, it's a great one. If you haven't seen it in a while, uh, there are definitely things that I forgot about it that made me laugh again. I forgot, uh, why I uh, me and my friends all say you're killing me smalls. Uh, especially to me, my friends just say it all the time just because I'm small. Uh, I forgot why my friends and I all say forever, forever, like we. There are lines that I now I'm like, oh crap that you know, that's where we got it from and it's, it's uh, that's how much. It's a bit ingrained in me that it's like we didn't even remember why we're saying it, but it was. It was kind of just language that we, uh we adopted because of the movie, because it's kind of so iconic yeah, and you've been talking about that.
Speaker 2: Um, start track the next generation episode for a couple weeks. Um, that you wanted to go into with your kids and your school and the episode's Darmok and it's the idea that this alien race is incapable of communicating outside of the cultural and popular culture memes of their own race. So it's impossible to understand from an outsider's point of view because there's no way to understand of their own race. So it's impossible to understand from an outsider's point of view because there's no way to understand another meme's race. So if I tell someone who's never seen You're Killing Me Smalls, they're not going to understand the reference. Or they might if they've seen the sound lot. But that's another one that's just been, you know, co -opted into the popular consciousness. Like You're Killing Me Smalls. I've probably heard that more on like random TV shows than I've heard on the Sandlot, you know, like it's just part. It's just. You know, luke, I am your father. It's one of those you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Guys, speaking of Luke, he's not going to be in the next episode, but we're covering star wars and or episodes one through six of the first season in next week's episode. So be there or be square blockheads. Um so I'm trying to use lingo from the this movie.
Speaker 1: Face up you blockheads don't forget guys, uh, just before you leave, uh, just just like, uh, you know, just like good old Randy Savage would appreciate if you guys just snapped into a juicy, super juicy five star review, juicier than all the, all the dribble and the slobber that was coming off the beast. That's too viscous. We want it to be just really juicy, a juicy five star review. Not juicy in the sense Like that's too viscous, right.
Speaker 2: We want it to be just really juicy, a juicy five-star review. Not juicy in the sense of, you know, like when the kids were, you know, dipping chewing tobacco on that Not that juicy. Slightly less juicy than that, maybe, like when they first put it in their lips and they started chewing it, but after that point, no, we needed just the right amount of juicy guys. Um, yeah, please, please, give us a review of the podcast. Share it with your friends if you enjoy the show, or just keep listening. Just stay quiet and keep listening. We appreciate that too. Just keep it running in the background, just let it be asmr you know just go into you, your podcast application and just download a whole bunch of our episodes, because that's how we, you know, that's how we calculate listens. Uh, I don't know why podcasts do that, but that's how podcasts like calculate listens, so like download everything, guys. That's that'll show the podcast apps, that all of them, yes. Do it several times over and on all your devices if you want to follow us on any of our socials, be sure to click into the show notes down below. And yeah, you'll find all of us, uh, there, and we'll see you next time, guys. Goodbye y'all.