Speaker 1: Howdy cowboys. Welcome to episode 121 of Project Geekology. Today we're covering something very special. It's, uh, we're doing the first half of Cowboy Bebop guys, the first 13 episodes. I know we did not tell you what we were covering last week. Surprise, surprise. We are going to be covering a very classic anime, one that we've been talking about covering for a while off the show. I don't know if we've ever talked about it on the show, but here we are, we're finally covering it. We're going to break it up into two episodes, um, and today we're covering the first 13 episodes of cowboy beep up. Uh, I'm one of your hosts, dakota, and I'm joined, as always, with anthony, and joining us, as always, is Rich.
Speaker 3: Really excited this week, guys. But before we talk about this jazzy riff on anime, what have you guys been up to this week?
Speaker 1: Ooh, what have I been up to? Anthony, go ahead, you start.
Speaker 2: What have I been up to, man? Nothing, really Like. Honestly, I don't think I've had anything really crazy going on, really just like catching up and watching well, watching anime, you know, watching this for the episode. But at the moment my brain like I feel like there might be something. I mean, I always do this, I forget, and then like I might, and then I remember, like later on in the episode yeah hence like, what was it like when I went to go? oh, you had asked me if I'd seen the minecraft movie, but I never mentioned it in the beginning of, like that episode right, yeah, yeah yeah, um, but yeah, I, I I haven't seen anything like. I haven't gone to go see thunderbolts or what else is out right now that people are talking about. I feel like there's something else. No, dakota, don't do it okay, okay, you're back all righty sorry, but yeah so scary no, no, you're good, but yeah, so yeah, I think I'll pass it back to to Rich. You know we're playing a game of catch a game of catch and I've been.
Speaker 3: What I've been doing is catching a lot of met games, uh, and being upset. You know, uh, we went to play the yankees this weekend, uh, big series and uh fell flat on our faces you got one game in yeah, we got one game in, so there's another three coming back. Uh, in july, the uh, the mets are playing a little bit of gamesmanship here. The day before the Yankees come to town, they're giving out 15,000 free Juan Soto replica jerseys so that hopefully, those fans will don those over the weekend, the next three days when the Yankees come to town. Also, in a very petty move, the Mets have a mascot race and so far this season, there are mascots representing each borough. Right, so you have, uh, the staten island ferry for staten island, a skyscraper for manhattan, a slice of pizza for brooklyn, a subway for queens and a giraffe representing the bronx zoo for the bronx. However, the giraffe has yet to win. Uh, is, it is almost comical. At this point, it has zero victories, and I think that, uh, I'm not sure if they're waiting for the yankees to show up and maybe give the bronx victory or just continually having the bronx lose. And if that's the case, I I really hope somehow the mets owners is involved. The mets ownership is involved in this, like steve cohen said, yeah, yeah, we should definitely have mascot races. Oh, five bros, I'd love that, but we should have the bronx lose every time.
Speaker 1: Like I just like the idea I do like, I do like the. I haven't seen the mascots yet, so I don't actually know what you're talking about, but I do like the idea that you know the mets, uh, would have their own little fantasy about the Yankees losing regularly.
Speaker 2: I you know, and then, and then you know the.
Speaker 1: Red Sox have just been letting the Mets know I did actually. I watched some of the subway series this this past weekend. It was actually quite a few really good games. I think both teams really did well. Just one team did a little bit better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I mean, look at the end of the day, the only reason I want the Mets to win really was just to rub it in people's faces at work. That's really all I wanted to do and actually all that ended up happening was it backfired? Because I'll just leave it at this. My passion seems to ignite in others. Uh, the, the, the equal, the equal passion to to denigrate what I'm passionate about. I don't know what it is, I, I don't know. I think it's my. My zeal for what I love somehow inspire. Like it's not just anthony here on the show, all right, rooting for every team that the mets are playing against, when I don't think he watched baseball, like, looked at scores for like years before this. I've joined and I've got a mentor, a mentee that I work with, who, who has now learned every single player in the mets just so that she can watch the replays and then talk trash about them with me the next day. So I don't really understand it, but I'm still excited. It's still early in the season. I got a couple. I got three games this weekend. They got some good giveaways. I got a bobblehead in there, fireworks night, which is always my wife's favorite night of the year. So I think we're going to turn it around, or or I'm gonna be really depressed next week, like next week, if we lose these three games to the dodgers.
Speaker 2: I uh, I might go into a downward spiral guys I will say that baseball does have some like pretty cool nights, like, uh, every once in a while like you might hear of like a basketball team or even like football do like a night. But it seems like baseball has a lot like. Um, I know the marlins recently had like a nurse night and the reason why I knew about that is because I have a friend that's a nurse and they were like like man, like I never knew about that, like my job, never said anything, but I think that that's cool. Yeah, I know there's like star Wars Nights.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I think every team does Star Wars Nights. I think it's just like a sport-wide phenomenon.
Speaker 3: I think the only thing that doesn't do it honestly is football. No, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I think football is too short.
Speaker 1: Football does do it. I know soccer does it. I have a bobblehead somewhere of one one of the jet players. One of the jets players in a yankee, or in a yankee, um, in a jedi outfit oh so I definitely got that from a game was it?
Speaker 3: uh, was it? Was it brett? Was it um aaron rogers, in the form of qui-gon jinn, because he gets injured and dies right away.
Speaker 1: I know it wasn't. I don I. No, it wasn't Aaron. I don't know who it was. It wasn't Aaron Rodgers, though, but yeah, no, it was from like five years ago or six years ago, something like that. But yeah, they definitely do it for football, but I think it's very regular for, like you, just look at the schedule they do it like a couple of times a month where they have giveaways, you know, in uh and mlb stuff. So that's, I think that's pretty cool, but rich. Look at it this way. You know, for the longest time, they were saying that, uh, the mlb is a dying sport. Your, your passion is causing, you know, the vitriol of others to get involved in the sport. Thus, you know, elevating the sport to new heights, you know in its own roundabout way rich alone is keeping it alive.
Speaker 3: I get major league baseball should pay me money because they get more clicks on their videos, because people want to get stuff to be able to talk trash to me about. I mean, that's it, that's it, yeah absolutely I.
Speaker 2: I literally went online to download a thumbnail to put on my zoom background, just to mess around with you.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was like what I like how.
Speaker 2: Like when dakota noticed, he immediately just like started smirking and had to point it out yeah, I didn't even see the.
Speaker 1: I didn't even see the red socks logo. I just saw, like the colors of, uh, like the circular outline of the logo behind anthony's head. It was, it was a beautiful moment. Yeah, it was, and you know, anthony actually does have some boston background in him.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, it's not, it's not completely out of left gear yeah, here's, yeah, yeah, like I mean men right with preston.
Speaker 3: You were part of the minute, man with preston.
Speaker 2: I remember fallout 4 yeah, I mean, yeah, I guess technically we, we all, all of us who played fallout 4, were minute men anthony also threw uh tea into a river I did only the flavors I didn't like oh man, um, what have you been up to Rich?
Speaker 3: Just finished the hardest, probably part of time of the year for me at work. I run testing. So it's basically like I have to be quiet and proctor for two and a half weeks, which is not my skill set. So I'm happy to be able to be my loud, loud, boisterous self at work again and not have to be, uh, quiet and composed excellent yeah, I actually have a tough like couple weeks at work for myself.
Speaker 2: My the bank that I work for is about to go through a merger, and so we've been going through all these like game plans on like putting people in place, because we know that a bunch of like all like all the people from this new bank are going to start just calling in like crazy. So, yeah, like they've been kind of bolstering up the ranks and so they have like the regular like workers that are going to like stay around, but then they also got a whole bunch of contractors to help us out. So, yeah, man, it's, I'm. I've already been getting some calls from this like new bank and I'm like, oh man I have a weird work thing going on too.
Speaker 1: Ever since I've been back at work for the past couple weeks, it's been kind of weird because I'm with a company that that I know dislikes me, and it's a long, long story. So I'm a union electrician. What that means is I get put onto a list. When I'm out of work and whenever a shop needs someone of my skill set, they will take the top three or four guys from the list and when I get to the top, I get pulled to join that company. So the company I'm with now laid me off in 2019 after I made uh, them lose probably like half a million dollars. The reason okay, they didn't, it wasn't their money, that's the thing. They stole it. So I I just brought it to the attention of the union.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, they were like undercutting you guys right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so depending on the job like if it's a public works job, like a government funded job, state funded sometimes that qualifies the job as a prevailing wage job when it comes to construction. So when I first started, I was making like bare minimum, like $13 an hour. This was back in like 2018, 2019. I was making nothing but I should have been making the top rate because it was prevailing wage. I was working at a job for three months that I shouldn't have been at because you know they're supposed to be hiring like top rated employeesrated employees for those jobs. But they were taking all the money that I should have been making, which is upwards of $55 an hour, and just giving me the $13 an hour. So they were just skimming a whole bunch off the top. And I realized this after a little while that hey, I'm working at a school, this should be a public works job. So I brought it to my union. Turns out this should be public, a public works job, um, so I brought it to my union. It turns out, yeah, um, I was owed a lot of money, so they they did have to pay me back. It was not like a crazy amount For me, it was at the time it was 10 grand. You know like that's the most money I'd ever seen in my life.
Speaker 2: Uh, I mean, dude, that's 10 grand that you didn't have.
Speaker 1: So I mean, that's true 10 grand is 10 grand.
Speaker 2: That was your money that you worked hard for.
Speaker 1: They, the union, the union like audited them, basically asked for all of their hours for all of their employees that could have possibly fit this bill of them being like cheated on. And they probably some people like estimate it's like somewhere between three and five hundred thousand dollars that they have to pay back over the course of three years of back pay. But it was not their money to begin with, so they I got I. After that, um, I was like one of the first to be laid off from that job and I didn't expect to ever see them again, like I didn't expect I thought I was blacklisted, honestly like I. But I got the call a couple of weeks ago like hey, you're going back to this job site. I was like, are you serious? Is a joke. Um, and now the owner of the company, whenever he walks into the, you know like, uh, look at all the work. He says hi to everybody, except for me, maybe he just doesn't remember.
Speaker 2: He's like, oh, you're that guy, you're a good worker, but dang, you're that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm that guy so, all right, that was a long story, um, where I did the right thing, got laid off and, uh, now I'm back to rub it in their face that's actually hilarious, though, is like have you been working with them for a while now?
Speaker 2: or, like you, you finish because I remember you had just started up a job. Like a month ago did you finish up with them, and then now you're with some new people no, no, no, I that it's, it's the same job.
Speaker 1: I came back to it like end of april, um, and I've been there for about probably close to a month at this point. But yeah, it's, it's been the same company, it's just. I'm just like now like coming to grips with like how awkward it is because like there's so much of just turning a blind eye to me, specifically when it comes to upper management. Everyone else is fine with me, so I don't have a problem, I just do my job.
Speaker 3: You should shave your beard and just start speaking with the mid-Atlantic accent from the 1950s. What kind of voltage you got to go in here, man, and then see if management just gets confused and thinks you're somebody else yeah, it's not like the announcer from legend of korra yeah, on today's episode of going to work.
Speaker 1: But, yeah, otherwise, other than that I, as far as like what I've been up to this past week not a whole lot I've been doing I I've continued to plug away at my scripts. So I'm just, I think I'm just gonna keep giving you like little updates to my script. Um, anyone who listens and like cares at all, I'm just gonna you'll, you'll hear a little bit how I've you know how I've gotten a little bit further. So I am now well into the era of kiyoshi and and I am starting up her first novel. I should be starting that up tomorrow. So that's the next section, the next chunk of the timeline that I'm going to be tackling. But, yeah, upwards of I think it's like 20,000 words into the script, well over an hour long now it's probably closer to like an hour 20, hour 25 at this point. It's going to be a really heavy video and, again, like kiyoshi is still like pretty early in the timeline. So I'm kind of nervous about like how long this is actually going to be. But I'm also excited because, like, I've done a lot of research online and I think this is definitely going to be by far the most comprehensive fan timeline or any timeline that's ever been attempted for this series. So I'm excited about that. But other than that, just watching Cowboy Bebop I'm excited to jump into that in a little bit and I don't really have a lot else going on. Anything else that you guys want to bring up.
Speaker 3: They did just announce it's the thing is avatar news.
Speaker 1: They announced, uh, who they casted for yes, they, they did, uh, they they announced some avatar uh live action news um for season two, and some of the names are are pretty, pretty big. You probably won't recognize the names off the top of your head, um, but if you see some of their faces, you will recognize a lot of the people that they hired. Um, uh, and it's. It's looking like they hired the right people and I'm hoping it's better than season one. Basically, basically. The best tweet I saw was like they cast Ditchin Lockman for Avatar Yangchen in Avatar the Last Airbender, season two and someone cool tweeted that and said goaded casting in what will undoubtedly be a bad season of television and I love that. It's really fun and it's television and I love that it's. It's really fun and it's probably true. I I hope it's not, but the first season was just really okay.
Speaker 2: it was just really okay and avatar should be, exceptional, you know yeah, yeah, they have yet to be able to capture the magic of avatar live action. You know, like they did. You know they did do a lot better as far as, like, the look of the actual bending as compared to, like you know, that abysmal movie, but it's still. You know, we'll see the. Honestly, the thing that surprised me the most and we have an episode on that was, um, how well they did the live action one piece and you know we're gonna be getting that second season very soon I'm excited about that, very excited about the one piece season.
Speaker 1: Two guys, should we jump into some anime?
Speaker 2: yes, we should, um, so I'm not sure. What was this? Your first time seeing it, dakota? Have you seen cowboy bebop before?
Speaker 1: um, so I I have never finished the first season, or it's a, I think it's only one season but I've never finished one season like a movie I've never seen the entirety of the season, but I I had watched most of the episodes that we watched in this sitting, so I think I had seen the first eight episodes previously and I didn't realize I had made it that far into it. But I was like, oh yeah, this is the last episode that we watched, and then I would start the next one up and I'd be like, oh yeah, no, I watched this one too. And then eventually, like around episode nine it was like a completely new episode and I was like okay, all right, this is actually a new episode for me.
Speaker 2: Nice, nice, yeah. Like I want to know what you both think about it, because I mean I've told you that this is like one of my like tops. Like you know, this is like one of my favorites as far as like the old schools, along with, you know, neon, genesis, evangelion and yasha. So I really want to like know, like, what you guys think about it. I mean especially rich. Rich is not the you know I. I mean, would you consider yourself like a huge anime fan? I know that you like you know, some naruto but you probably don't dive too deep into it no, and I know that dakota is, but he just doesn't.
Speaker 3: He doesn't watch it as much as he'd like I mean I would, I would at comic-con, I would avoid, uh, I would literally like instruct my family, we would uh avoid all the anime section. Uh, I, I had no interest, I didn't want to waste anyone's time. It wasn't until charlie got into naruto and I mean I, I, I fought it. I was like, no, I'm not doing it, I, I just wouldn't. They they watched it completely through and I just uh, you know then then then it became a family demand where I was kind of forced into it and then I I watched it to uh annoy them. I mean I would. There's this one guy who makes the clay birds or something. I hate him so much I can't remember his name. Uh, and I I started like hate watching it, almost I know, or like at least like watching it just to see like certain characters die. Like I was just like I hoped it, I was like, does this character ever die? And charlie would say, yeah, in 100 episodes or so. I'm like, okay, I'm strapped in for this one, like at least until he dies. So you guys have definitely encouraged me to watch more stuff and I've come into it with um more of an open mind. I mean, other than, like you know I'd watch Dragon Ball Z in the morning before school when I was like in high school but I don't know if that that isn't for me. That was just. I needed a moving image on the screen while I I mean, there was that was anime you know like we probably we didn't call it that.
Speaker 1: We didn't call it that.
Speaker 3: Well, see, okay. So then see, like a lot of times when so like Pokemon I mean I was crazy about, but that's because I wanted to catch them all, so you know, I mean we, I mean most of us didn't consider anime.
Speaker 2: Honestly, we didn't even consider Dragon Ball Z anime. We all thought it was just a different type of cartoon. But I mean, honestly, it's, it's animation and it's from Japan, so it's anime, same with. Yu-gi-oh, yu-gi-oh, it's animation and it's from Japan, so it's anime. Same with Yu-Gi-Oh Yu-Gi-Oh, it's all the same, it's just. Some are a little bit more catered to the younger audience. Obviously, Cowboy Bebop is not oh yeah, totally different. This is for a little bit more of a refined taste and the story is definitely not one that that, um, you know, might grab a lot of like younger kids. But like what grabbed me? Because I, I mean, I had seen it. It came out in 1998 but I didn't see it until like a few years, a few years later, when it came out on toonami in like 01 and so, like you know, I was like what, nine going on ten around that time. So, and like you know, I'm watching this and you know what, what really like got me was like I really liked the music of it and it had some really good action. Like that's what got me too. It was like, oh man, like there's, you know, fighting, they're shooting, you know this. So I mean, obviously, and then catching like some really late night inu wash, like falling asleep with the tv on, and like inuyasha like being on so rich?
Speaker 1: what did? What did you think of what you saw, or at least, what were your thoughts, at least from the first couple episodes? Going into cowboy biva, because you cut you, you did come in cold, you know, like you didn't know what you were gearing up for. But like, what were your thoughts early on?
Speaker 3: so I won't lie, okay. So first of all, I was talking to anthony about this before we started recording. I accidentally pressed the sub uh version of it on disney right and then I. I just wasn't paying attention so I didn't even realize that there was a dub at first, so I watched the first episode. I don't I don't really watch a lot of stuff with subtitles I yeah I forced my wife to do that when we watch like shows in spanish, but most of the time she wants to watch them and then you know she's okay with it. Uh, I don't really like doing it. I don't find it to be a really enjoyable experience. So the first episode, I had no idea what I'm going into, right, I have like I don't know. I mean, when I heard Bebop I thought of Bebop and Rocksteady from the Ninja Turtles. So I mean, I had no clue. The intro has like that stylized, almost noir feel. I know that there's a part that says like New York City or like 1941, right. So I'm like looking at that. But then it starts and we're in space and I'm trying to get my bearings. You know, I'm like real, I'm just real confused, all right. And then I think I watched halfway through the second episode the same way, just kind of a little lost. There's a part of me that almost feels like the structuring of the season could have been, because it starts off like to me like very hey, this is another week of a kind of I don't want to call it a police procedural, but like just kind of it almost seemed like it was going to be oh, this is the. You know, we have a bounty hunter and we're going to get the, the bounty of the week, right, like I thought that that was going to be the structure and then suddenly it kind of deviates from that. And when it deviated from that, I think it's in Honky Tonk Women, when Faye comes on. Yeah, Once Faye came on, I, I started, for for me it started to pick up traction, like I, I really. And then by the end of this arc that we're going to talk about today, the 13 episodes, uh, first I thought that the last two episodes almost felt like a season finale to uh, like it did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know there's a couple. There's a couple uh moment or there's a couple points in this uh, first 13 episodes that I felt um season finale. Ask like there's the episode where it's just like, uh, it's, it's a bottle episode on the on their spaceship the beep up and there's like some alien goo crawling around and it doesn't really ever explain like how they all survived. It's just it feels like the end of the show, like it just feels like that should have been the last episode. You know, like I thought these guys are dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah I mean, it just ends like it ends very beautifully, with that refrigerator floating through space with his leftover. Uh, was it lobster that he had gotten and left? in the fridge for way too long. It seemed like a this could have been pulled, like it could have almost been like an office episode, right like it's like the horror version. But I really I think that that episode in particular, that's when it started to hit me that a lot of them are done in a style right like this was like that horror style, right like that. You know yeah something on the ship. You know like we've seen hundreds of versions of that story, you know, but it's still good and you know they did it really well, they did and they did it in it in its, in its own way. But still like, very clearly, this episode style is different from the next episode or the one before it.
Speaker 1: That episode was really unique to me because, um, I was listening to that one on my headphones like my AirPods while I was going to work and I was noticing little sound cues that I don't think I would have picked up on my TV. And at first, when the episode starts, they almost give you a captain's log from Star Trek. They almost give you like a captain's log from Star Trek. You know they give a date and then I think they do say something like captain's log or something like that. And it was very much James T Kirk-esque Star Trek. I really thought that that was a fun play on it. And then it jumped into almost like an alien movie. You like like you know, really, scott's alien. And so I was like, okay, they're doing that now. All right, that's, that's interesting. And then in, you know, like, when they're going into the back of the ship and they're like starting to investigate, like the, the deeper parts of the ship and where they find the old fridge and all that, um, where the rock lobster was, they, you actually hear like the like some sound effects that are from star trek. Um, it's like the, the beeping in the control room, like the beep, beep, beep, and it's specifically like the, the tricorder sound effect and it's like, oh, that's kind of cool. So I like that they pull influences into this show and sometimes it's very clear when the influences are pulled. But I feel like there's so much that they've pulled for like the, the aesthetic and the feel of this show, that it's sometimes like hard to differentiate like what exactly is uh, being, I guess, maybe not riffed on, but um, influenced by um. But for me, like the, the intro gives me, uh, like james bond vibes. You know, like the james bond movies always have that like really stylistic uh song in the beginning of the film where, um, it's a bunch of silhouettes and I don't know, but it's never really that jazzy. But uh, this is a a very jazzy show yeah it, it really is.
Speaker 2: I mean, and and the cool thing is is that you know, with the title of, like cowboy bebop, I mean, you go to, like, you know, figure out why it's called cowboy bebopbop, because you know they're bounty hunters, but they call the bounty hunters cowboys and the ship is called Bebop, but the intro of the actual show is in that style of, and that style jazz Bebop. You know it's. It's really cool that I don't and I don't know if you noticed that, like I would say, most of the episodes are like musically, they're named after like a, they have like a musical influence.
Speaker 1: Like you know, there's like heavy metal queen like the honky tonk one I did actually like look up one particular I think I actually it was the, the episode that I was just talking about. Hold on, let me just look up a list of episodes for cowboy bebop, because I I feel like the episode names are based on like actual songs, like so when I looked up, uh it's, it's called toys in the attic, which is the one with the, the space creature that was on their ship that's right yeah, it's an aerosmith, aerosmith album yeah, their first album.
Speaker 3: I believe that's the one with uh dream on yes, so I?
Speaker 1: I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty. Oh, bohemian rhapsody is the next episode, uh, that we have not watched yet so it's very clear that, like they named the episodes after songs or albums or other musical influences. Honky-tonk woman yeah, that's, yeah, so definitely yeah, I thought that was really cool.
Speaker 2: Um, dakota, as somebody that, like you know, kind of grew up in that, you know that early era of of, like you know, anime with, like you know, toonami and dragon ball z and stuff spike his, his voice actor, steve bloom, did he sound familiar to you? He did and I couldn't pinpoint it um, he also does the voice of tom for toonami no, he does a lot of voices, but he does do tom and toonami.
Speaker 1: You're right. Yeah, it's really cool because, it's an iconic voice in
Speaker 2: the back kind of very similar to, uh, chris sabat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the back of my head I kept thinking like he's got such a laid-back voice and I just I don't know why I keep thinking about this guy, like you know, just lazing around and you know speaking, but that's exactly what tom did and the tsunami like intros and uh stuff so that's cool and it's so.
Speaker 2: It and his voice like pairs up so well with, like the demeanor of spike and it's like like it's like. It's like the voice actor and the actual like character, like lineup, like almost perfectly, or at least he emulates that.
Speaker 1: So like perfectly so I want to. I want to also like, uh, just briefly touch on the fact that this show, you know, like barring, whether you like it or not, this show is clearly very influential for for stuff that has happened after the fact and and the most blatant influence on popular culture that Cowboy Bebop has had, at least from my perspective, from an outsider looking into the show. You know, 26, 27 years later, firefly Firefly has to be based on this. The influences are so bizarrely similar. The crew makeup is, uh, very, very similar, including um edward, uh, he, almost, or I don't know if edward's a he or a she. I think that edward is a she, but um edward is basically the exact same character. That river was in firefly. Um, you know how, like the, the savant girl in in firefly, yeah exactly the same and I started like thinking about other like other stuff that it might have influenced, and I think it might have influenced the lineup or the character design of the gorillas. You know, there's the, there's a big gorilla, there's the main singer gorilla, which is spike. There's the big gorilla, there's the main singer gorilla, which is Spike, there's the female gorilla and then there's the tiny nerdy gorilla. I was just like this show definitely changed the way people looked at certain aesthetics. I like that. I think it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: The thing I like about Cowboy Bebop is that you can obviously, like you know, pin it to it being, you know, a part of that time, but the characters, their design, is different than the animation that was around it back then. Like Dragon Ball Z had like that very like, kind of you know, 90s, look to it. Sailor Moon also had that same look. They were very similar cowboy bebop. You know, while some of the character designs are very similar to that time, the main characters don't look that much, or they don't look too much, like an, like a 90s anime character.
Speaker 1: Like they look, you know, they look beyond that, they look different and that's probably why it was so influential, because they're like, wow, you know, like this, this animation looks great I wonder how long it took them to make this show, because I'm I'm watching just the, you know, establishing shots for, like between scenes, I'm I'm looking at like the care that they took to animate like ships and flight, the stars in the backgrounds and just the little flourishes that they give certain scenes that they didn't need to. There's a lot of extra that this show layers on top of each other and I wonder how long it took them to make this season, because you could tell they put a lot of time and money into it. It looks very expensive.
Speaker 3: one thing to anime go ahead one thing I noticed about that and you know what I think one of the things I don't like about some anime, like, say, no, just the reusing a lot of the same kind of shots right to kind of get around yeah, like the uh, the flying through the trees. I just can't anymore with that. But anyway, so I, I couldn't find, and now, mind you, I, you know, I I did one watch through. I didn't do my, my normal two or three, like I do before. I usually watch something with you guys. Sure, yeah, but I didn't rich, I didn't recognize anything really being used more than once. Like they don't have like a stock attack, you know frame that they layer in there. Like there's no, because, speaking to what you just said, like there's no laziness in the animation. It's like everything is really done painstakingly accurately and with much attention to detail and look like look how nice the like hand-to-hand combat looks like it's so.
Speaker 2: it's animated so good, like it's amazing, like you know, dakota, this is why I've been like trying to get us to to cover this for so long. It's so good, I mean, the story is good, but there's so much to it.
Speaker 1: And also the musical choices that they intersperse Occasionally. It'll be like an action scene. It'll be two ships chasing each other through the canyons of some city, but there's this beautiful melody playing in the background onons of some city. Yeah, it's, it's like. But like, there's like this beautiful melody playing in the background on top of this and it just completely throws you off guard. But you're in, you're just glued to the screen because it's such a juxtaposition of um intense action and like just beautiful melody. The the first time that I, I, you know, I, I recognized that this is a well-crafted, beautiful show from episode one. You know it's it's hard not to look at this and be like, okay, I see what they're doing here. This is like high art in terms of, you know, anime, as far as anime goes but, it wasn't until the episode um, let me look at the list of episodes again. Uh, ballad of fallen angels, where spike faces off against um vicious, and it's a character that we didn't really know prior to this point, but he has some, you know, intense history with. He gets shot or pushed out of that like stained glass window and it's just a slow motion for like two minutes of a song playing, as his memories, you know, overlap. And it's just like that's the moment when I first watched this, like a year, a couple years ago, at this point, that I was just like, oh, this is something really special, this is something that is like just I don't even understand what's happening, but I can tell that this is a beautiful moment and whoever made this was a genius, you know. Like that's that's the level of respect that that particular scene garnered for. Like, with me, rich, I don't think you've you've said whether you like it or not at this point and you know, if you didn't like it, it's fine. But like, what are your overall opinions now that you have seen the first 13 episodes? Like, did you have that aha moment?
Speaker 3: like I did, yeah I think maybe all right so that I can remember seeing that scene. And I'm glad you said I don't know what's going on, because there's a part of me that was like, uh, what's going on?
Speaker 1: uh, you know there's a lot of that, even even up to like episode 13. You know, I'm just I'm still trying to piece together the like the, the background history of like all these individuals, and I'm just like okay, so vicious is with julia, or maybe he isn't, maybe he's just using the name. I don't know what's going on, but this is cool, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's like I think I'm gonna go back to one of my refrains, but, uh, I think I'm gonna need, like, I think a second watch is going to help me enjoy it more. So at first like, and I pop, possibly because of also the experience with the sub right. So I'm feeling very disconnected and lost as I'm watching episode one, you know, I'm like I don't, I don't know, did you ever go back to to watch the episodes dubbed, or you just kept going? so once I realized that for episode two, I, from two on I, was watching them dubbed okay, sure yeah, so I just didn't re-watch one, uh, so I, you know, so episode two was kind of like, in some way, my episode one, so I was still kind of, you know, getting bought in by three. I started to that's is that when honky tonk woman, when faye comes in, uh, yes, yeah, I think she just added a dynamic uh to the team that, uh, I was, I was enjoying a little bit more. Uh, it was kind of the wild card, you know. So, uh, that kind of drew me in and tell me, the corgi didn't do it for you I mean, the corgi is pretty cool, you know, and I was also trying to understand the universe, because you have the, the red eye spray, and then you got the, the uh, benjamin button guy, uh, you know, like there's a, there's a lot going on. It does a lot of pushing the boundaries. I, I and I'm not sure if this is an anime thing, because I remember one of my issues with naruto was I felt like there was never a cap to what someone's powers could possibly be like. You know okay now this guy can make puppets, they're humans and this, and I'm like what and I'm like, but how? How does this happen? Like in my understanding of this, like that's not a possible ability right, right, the power scaling doesn't have an end.
Speaker 1: So with stuff like naruto, even like dragon ball z and stuff, yeah you know.
Speaker 3: Uh. So here, what I was kind of grappling with at first was like you know what's possible in this world, what's not possible? So I guess, very long answer. I did not like it at first but by the time I ended episode 13 I wanted to watch 14.
Speaker 1: I just didn't have time yeah, and I I think the there there are a lot of like little things that, um, the show plays with in terms of like trying to slowly introduce you to the boundaries of the lore, like that episode that you mentioned I think it's the episode six, sympathy for the devil where you have that character who has been a kid for who knows how long at least 50 years, but possibly longer and we don't really understand why he was a kid. I think they kind of like explain it in like a hand wavies type of you know techno jargon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But they didn't. Really it's not a strong enough explanation to like explain, really get you to latch onto it, but it's one of those things that like okay, I guess, for whatever reason, there is a possibility that this guy is basically immortal, unless X, y and Z happens. But yeah, that's probably the one episode that the power scaling just seems a little out of the box, because for the rest of the series everyone, every other character is fairly normal ish. You know like they're, they're, you know extremes, but they're still, you know, within the bounds of, you know like they're, basically martial artists yeah, he was a ghoul he was a ghoul yeah, he was a ghoul.
Speaker 2: He just looked like a child instead of a zombie there you have it.
Speaker 1: Anthony has the answer for us. Anthony, what are your? What are your thoughts? Uh, now that you've seen it a couple times, um, you're coming back to it fresh. Do you find that you're, you're hearing, uh, rich, and I kind of come to this, um, fresh, where we don't know the full story, we have yet to see the full season. We don't know the full story, we have yet to see the full season. We don't know if any of these connections are eventually going to make sense. You know, like a lot of sense, I should say, because right now, it seems as if we're like putting pieces onto a puzzle and it's starting like a picture starting to form. So, as an insider, looking, you know, listening to two outsiders talk about the show that you love, how do you feel? Like are we? Are we in for a wild ride with the next couple, with the next handful of episodes, or like is this? Is this notion of like, being a little bit confused, going to, you know, be prevalent throughout the entirety run, the entire run of this?
Speaker 2: yeah, no, you're definitely in for a wild ride, but they, they do, they do explain things. Um, especially, you know it goes back and explains the, the relationship of you know vicious a little bit, but you know they, they explain that more obviously. You know what. What's going on with uh julia, you know, yeah, definitely, man, it's, it doesn't. I mean, I don't know if you've seen, like the, the rating on uh rotten tomato, and you know I don't always like go based on just reviews solely. I also like to go based on my own experience. But still, like rotten tomatoes and even like the, the audience score is like really high for it and so, like you know, if you didn't get some sort of like explanation or if you felt kind of like unsatisfied, you know I don't think that it would be that high up, you know right and I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that I'm dissatisfied, uh, because I'm right, I'm enjoying the ride.
Speaker 2: You know you still have a whole 13 episodes to go. So, no, no, I'm absolutely buckle in man, because it's going to be a wild ride, man.
Speaker 1: So I find that throughout the show it really relies on vibes quite a bit, because not a lot of the characters are super likable. You have, you have, uh, faye valentine, who you know drawn very pretty. She's a very insufferable character. Otherwise, you know, like she's meant to be written that way. And um spike is often, you know, very flippant with the other people on his crew. Jet barely wants to be present, you know, and anything, uh, that's probably the wrong, uh, characterization of jet, but you know what I'm saying, like he, he's, he's very gruff and he's, he's the angry old man on the on the crew and he is, but like, or he comes off that way, but that's not like a hundred percent the truth, because you see how he's gone to go save spike and he and he's gone to go save fey. Yeah, at this point, we we have seen that, so it it is true that he has. Uh, he's an old gruff guy with a heart.
Speaker 2: You know he doesn't want to see this team uh fall apart absolutely.
Speaker 1: And then, and then you have a young edward that is, you know, like a genius hacker yeah, so far I have not like, I guess we haven't really seen you know like why they brought this kid on on board um so I'm a little I I don't know enough about edward to like, really, you know, make a a judgment one way or the other. Like edward, I keep, I keep wanting to say he, it's a she, edward, um, outside of the episode that they that introduced her, we haven't really gotten a whole lot of use out of in terms of pushing the story forward, so I don't want to comment too much on that right, right, yeah, I mean you can whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, no, I don't. I don't want to dig too deep into it because you know we have like a whole other, you know 13 episodes to go. But I mean, as far as like, I mean the, the initial reason why edward is there is because you know they were kind of in a bind and fey made a promise and you know they're about to break that promise. But you know edward hacked the ship that's true.
Speaker 1: Yes, uh, edward did hack the ship is. Is edward another character, rich, where you feel like the power scaling is a little bit uh bonkers or is like a tech genius, not in that same vein?
Speaker 3: I mean, the age is the only thing that throws me off.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, that doesn't throw me off at all. I mean especially like with, with what, like you've seen some of these child prodigies that they can do that like I mean the, the scaling of the hacking might be a little bit crazy, but it, but it being like an age like you really just can't throw it out there. I mean there's there's like five, six year olds that are like playing, you know, violin on a scale that like some adults can't, you know I teach honors kids, four classes of almost 18 year olds.
Speaker 3: I've been doing that in this school for almost six years. Man, these kids can't get their passwords in like I, I, I just so I, I guess that's I, and I know where you're coming from. It's just, I guess, because this is my daily life, like I was also the technology coordinator by old school, uh, and at my new school, uh, you know, not everybody knows this, uh, but some of my friends know that I'm I'm pretty good with tech, so they'll give me a ring if they need something. And, man, if it involves a student, like I find like even more and more I'm gonna stop yelling at the clouds like an old man, but I'm finding more and more that my students have very fancy devices but don't know how to change settings, work things. Yeah, there's I. I have found that there's almost. It's almost like we're, we're, we're in so much technology that they, they don't even bother figuring out how it works, they're just happy it does yeah, well, well, I mean that that's why it would be like a prodigy.
Speaker 2: You know, like you, you can't really like compare a prodigy to like your every, every day, like just kid. But it seems like most, most kids, they, just they. They want to go in. Like going to school for kids is like how we go to work, it's like I just want to come in, get my paycheck and just go, that's it, that that's that's like really, that's really like what school is kind of like. But I mean they're, they're the, the few like from time to time that are just really good at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's. There is like a. I mean we have a student who went to our school who's like now, uh, I don't know, um sold his company for like a hundred million dollars, or he's some sort of just uh, just genius. Uh, yeah, so, no, I totally uh it. No, I totally uh it's. I think it's like so, does Ed have parents? I think I'm a little like hazy on like why I think they so with Ed or Edward.
Speaker 1: They kind of pair him with the disembodied voice of a satellite that's just been orbiting earth for who knows how long. The satellite itself is very lonely and ed also seems to be very lonely. We don't see ed with anyone else other than the people that show up at her door. So I have a feeling that you know the, the fact that you know we got to see the vocalization of this forgotten satellite who is very lonely. I think that that is in part meant to symbolize Ed's loneliness and the desire for friendship. So I don't think that her parents are around, basically, Gotcha. That's how I interpret it anyway.
Speaker 2: It's a good interpretation, Dakota.
Speaker 1: Thank you, friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I know that you know this is kind of like out of your wheelhouse, but definitely I would say, you know, give it. I mean, if you want to, obviously, if you have the time, give it more. You know more watches, rich. I mean like I've given it, given it, you know a few or so watches like over the years and so, like you know, and I guess like you can kind of like toss in a little bit of like you know, because they have a live action, so like I saw that. So it's like pretty much like watching that story like over, but like in a live action kind of format. But yeah, man, like I the the biggest thing, the, the thing that always like gets me when I think about cowboy bebop, though, is just like how amazing that score is like I know we've talked a little bit about it, but like if I have any liking or if I have like any enjoyment of jazz it started with Cowboy Bebop. Like you know, I wouldn't say that like I'm a big like aficionado of jazz, Like I'm not going to go crazy to listen to it, but I love the style of jazz that is like represented in this and, like you know, they even have some, like you know, big bands, you know tracks that are in there too. That just it fits it. Just it fits the, the vibe of the show and, and it's almost like a like you you could call this like a kind of like, in a way like a space opera, you know yeah, definitely, it definitely has space opera vibes, vibes I was.
Speaker 1: I kept finding myself intrigued by the level of world building that was and wasn't showcased. We, we obviously know that this is a post-apocalyptic future for man, that you know they've somehow made their way across the, the solar system. Basically it does. I don't think they have gone past the solar system, at least we haven't seen that yet. Um, it's always been in, like you know, in the asteroid belt or the ganymede mars, you know, like, okay, we've been to earth one time. Um, so it's I. I find that that is kind of cool. It almost's in the level of technological advancement that you'd see in something like the Expanse. But I found that the less they tell us, the more interested I get, if that makes sense, because they'll show us a world, they'll show us a casino planet or a casino asteroid or something. They'll show us people wanting to go to Mars or whatever. But they never really explain how this all happened. I don't even think there's a coherent. As a timeline guy, I probably should have done my research and figured out exactly at least what decade we're in, and I did look at a couple dates in the background. I know we're over, you know like we're well into the, the 21st century, but, um, I don't know exactly when these, when this show is supposed to have taken place, um, but but I do like the idea that the less they show us or the less they give us in terms of exposition, the more we just get by on vibes, and the show is a lot of vibes, basically.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I'm making sense there it is. And the thing I like about Cowboy Bebop and obviously a lot of it is, you know, based in science fiction. But I I kind of also put star trek in like the same kind of I guess it's like same kind of bubble. Is that like the technology, or a lot of the technology that is used in cowboy bebop is believable? You know, like I would say that the spaceships and everything that was kind of used in, uh, cowboy bebop was like something that I could see like actually being real. The one, like one of the things that that was a little bit, you know, I would say, based off science fiction, is like, you know, it's like stargates, right, and I thought that those looked really cool. I mean, I loved like that they had like a whole notion of Stargates and that was their version of hyperspace and that if something happens within a Stargate, if you close that Stargate out, that matter, that you could see that matter, but it's not part of that physical plane. Yeah, that was so sick.
Speaker 1: That was really cool. That's one of those moments where I was just like okay, so in physics class they learned that, you know, things traveling through hyperspace are visible to the eye, but not that they can't, you know, interact with things on this plane of reality. So now we're talking about, like, multiple planes of reality, um, that they're playing with, um, but but yeah, even just like the, the jump points through the, the stargates. I thought that was super, super cool, um, and I think that they showed that, like in the very first scene of the first episode, we, we, we start getting like these heavy sci-fi concepts in, you know, interplanetary, like travel, and it all looks and feels very believable and it's not overly polished. You know, like the, the animation is overly polished. It's, it's beautiful animation, but what I'm saying is like the in universe look to it is is gritty and dirty and it doesn't feel lived in. Yeah, yes, it feels lived in. Yeah, it's, it's really interesting good stuff. Man, I'm I'm happy we're doing this. Um, we haven't done a whole lot of anime, uh, project Ecology, just in general, but since we've had Rich on, we've actually covered a couple anime topics, which I'm happy about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, with Rich being here, we definitely got to up the ante on anime to, you know, up the ante on um, on anime. And I would say, you know, you know buck, you know buckle up, or you know, buckle up your seat belts. And, uh, you know, the reason why I throw that little joke in there is because that's the name of the, that's the name of the, the group that does the score, they're called the seat belts oh yeah, that intro sequence is called tank. Um, one of my favorites like I have like just a bunch, like a lot of tracks that I like. One of my favorite tracks is it's called rush and it's in that first episode when he's fighting. When he's fighting oh my gosh, what's his name? I always forget his name. I mean, he's only in one episode.
Speaker 1: So it's not, yeah, the the guy who takes too much of the.
Speaker 3: The red eyes red eye yeah so it was like it was like our many.
Speaker 2: No, it was like some as a mob, as that's what it is yeah, so so there's a track where he's like he's fighting um as a mob and like I love that track. It's called rush, it's uh, it's just like you know, high, just high speed jazz and like really awesome. I think that one's called um, it's not called b-bop, I think it's like hard bop or something like that, but it's dude. Yeah, man, like I could talk about the, the score of this anime like all day. It's just like it's one of my favorites and like you know, even, yeah, like, like you said, like, even like the tracks are just kind of like interspersed throughout the different scenes. You know nothing that, not even anything that like huge and over the top for the scene, just like kind of, you know, transition scene. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: So I'm looking through our episodes, uh, so we've done a couple anime episodes with you rich, uh, starting with the lord of the rings, the war of the rohirrim, which which was, uh, directed in in it was an anime that you know is is translated into english um, and then a couple weeks later we did the Boy and the Heron, which was definitely throwing you into the deep end of Hayao Miyazaki. But you know, I'm glad you came out on top and you're still here, you didn't? You didn't you know? Dip.
Speaker 3: After that I was surprised you guys take me on some rides, but you know a lot of it's just it's just trying to get into the world a lot for me most of the time. I mean, I won't lie, the War of the Warherum yeah, it's anime. That's how I got Charlie to go watch it. But I was strictly there for the Lord of the Rings content, of course. That's what I wanted.
Speaker 1: And I think that's the thing. Anime is just a medium. There are so many different types of anime and animation and we've covered a bunch of different animated type stuff on the show. We did the first season of Legend of Korra, we've done the Dragon Prince, we did Prince of Egypt, we did, like I said, boy in the Heron and War of the Rehirim, and I think that's it. Yeah, I think that's it. Oh no, we did tales of the underworld too. So there's a whole bunch of different animated stuff and at like, I'm talking, you know cartoons in general, but when it comes to anime, specifically from japan, um, it does start to have a more streamlined feel, but even then there are there's so many different varieties within that. And again, it's just a medium. You know, like you, you can give someone a paint, a paintbrush, and you know it's technically a painting, but you, everyone's gonna paint differently, you know.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, I think that you're right that's pretty cool, are we?
Speaker 1: are we covering the next 13 episodes of Cowboy Bebop next week?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course we usually finish things off. I don't think that we would intersperse it like that. Just for that comment, Anthony. Just for that comment. That would be crazy.
Speaker 1: We're covering Dragon Prince Season 2 next week.
Speaker 3: No, I'm kidding.
Speaker 1: No, we're definitely going to finish up Cowboy Bebop. I'm enjoying it. Did you say that there's a film as well?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Is it a sequel to the series or is it a recut of the series? What am I supposed to know about this film?
Speaker 2: I don't remember. I think the movie is is. I think it is a sequel. I think it's just like cowboy bebop the movie yeah, that like that, the movie, I had seen it. I think I've seen the movie maybe a couple times, but, like a while ago, I've seen the anime more than I've seen the movie, I think I think the movie, if I remember correctly, I don't, I don't think it was, I don't think it was particularly bad or anything. I'm just trying, I'm trying to remember the details of it. But yeah, yeah, I just I just have flashes of memories but, like you know, with, uh, with like the actual anime, yeah, like I mean, I, you know there's vivid memories, especially, like you know, I'm thinking like back on, like the end of the anime and like, how you know, it's like I'm I'm excited to see like what, what you guys think about it yeah, I'm excited to to, because next week is totally uncharted territory for me, specifically because I had watched most of this week's um stuff previously, so I was coming back to it.
Speaker 1: But next week will be all new stuff for me and all their stuff for rich, so, uh, rich is, it'll be cool.
Speaker 2: Rich is on the island, you know. He, uh, he crashed there, you know, and there's a polar bear on that island and some black smoke monster that speaking you know speaking of polar bears.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, peter loss reference dakota yeah, but I know you were going with lost. I just uh, I wanted to be obnoxious and uh tell you that peter lonzo is also known as the polar bear peter lonzo is a mets player for those, oh sorry, sorry who have no idea what we're talking about daddy, you can let me in with that crowd
Speaker 2: I just did the whole red socks thing, you know, just to mess with rich anthony.
Speaker 1: Anthony is like wait, I don't remember a pete alonso in cowboy bebop, who's pete? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I, I was like even thinking like, oh, I don't remember that that person and and lost I'm actually richard from lost, that's.
Speaker 3: That's who I actually am.
Speaker 1: Wow, we're rambling, guys. Let's bring it to a close. We will see you next week, or hear, you will hear from us next week, dear listener. Hopefully you can catch up and watch some Cowboy Bebop with us, because we're going to be talking about the next 13 episodes of the series and we're excited to you. Know, see what happens, learn what happens. You know, between spike and vicious, why do they hate each other or love each other? I don't know what their relationship is I really don't, but it's. It's tenuous. It's a tenuous relationship. We're gonna learn more about it next week, guys uh, you know what's not.
Speaker 3: So if you want, tell me, do you know what's not tenuous? I think, uh, I think what's not tenuous is uh something juicy oh yeah, something juicy specifically.
Speaker 1: Well, you know it was a little tenuous there was. You know they, they left the, the lobster in the fridge for a year and they open it. It's, it's incredibly juicy in there, um, and it causes them to get extremely sick because there's now like a rabid, uh juicy alien running through the, the ship. But you know, to bring this right back around, there might have been some crunchies in there too there might have been. It was a rock lobster apparently. Um, so yeah, it was definitely a little bit of crunch, a lot of juicy, but uh, you know what, what should be juicy? And I, I, I didn't really like the alien, I, I thought it was too juicy. You know what would be absolutely like? The perfect amount of juice is a five-star review. Guys, please be sure to go to your podcast app, if you haven't already, and find our podcast project, ecology. Give us a five star review, a juicy five star review. You know we love them juicy here, guys. And yeah, if you want to check out any of our socials, be sure to click into the show notes down below. You'll be able to. Rich is dying, laughing over there. Uh, you'll be able to check out where we are on the web and learn, you know, more about our day-to-day lives that way. But anyway, guys, see you next time.
Speaker 2: See you space cowboy.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I love that the Wolverine. I love how rich. Gotta keep that going.
Speaker 3: You can cut it, I don't care, I just I know, no, we gotta keep it, we got. Bye, guys, bye.