Speaker 1: Okay, three, two, one, let's jam. Welcome to episode 122 of Project Geekology, and this week we are covering the last half of Cowboy Bebop, so from episodes 14 to 26. I am one third of your host, anthony, and joining me, as always, is Dakota and I that intro three, two, one, let's jam good.
Speaker 2: Good job with that one. And yeah, we're joined, as always, with.
Speaker 3: Rich super excited to talk about the second half of Cowboy Bebop this week, guys honestly, this show is tremendous.
Speaker 2: Like I would gladly pick up like a Cowboy Bebop like podcast and just listen episode by episode. Like people who like know the show in and out, I'd love to like hear all that they have to say about it. Because as I'm watching it, like the further I got into the season, the more I started loving the show. Like every episode was starting to get incredibly good and I wonder, if I go back, will I enjoy the episodes even more? Like starting from scratch again and I'm debating it because it's really tremendous.
Speaker 1: It's really spectacular show.
Speaker 3: That's why, like I mean, you see why I go back periodically to watch it it's funny that you say that, dakota, that you said that because I I would say that like I started to like it way more the second half of last I'll say last week's episode. So I don't know, let's say starting maybe episode five, six, you know, like it started sounding a build for me and then I really liked this second half again. I don't know if that's the old man in me that needs to watch everything twice to enjoy it more, because I'm kind of unpacking things and and hearing references to things and whatever, but maybe it's because they had a beta max and this half of the season that happened to be my favorite episode, actually you know, I, I really, and I also liked finding about more about the characters. I think it was less flashbacky and more showing it to me like look is a video of your past flashing back, yes, but at least I can. I feel like it's in the moment still in some weird way. So Because it's new.
Speaker 2: It's new to the character? Yes, but you know what? We'll get into all of that and more. I'm glad you liked it, rich, I loved it. And Anthony, we know you've seen it before a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, you like it, it's in, like my top man, it's one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Let's jump into what we've been up to this past week. Rich, I'm going to head it to you, whoa?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's terrible. The Mets have been home for 9,000 days, so I've been going to about 9,000 games. No, they have a really long homestand, which isn't often the case. Let's just put it this way. In the last my I just looked at my apple watch I got an update that my steps for this last month have dramatically increased. And uh, my friend, I actually got some messages this week about some people saying like whoa, you've really been walking a lot and exercising. And I'm like no, I just am too cheap to park in the parking lot and and I park a mile away. It's been fun going there, school's kind of like, in this weird wind down mode, so it's like you show up to be there, but it's a little bit of a slog as the kids see daylight. So just kind of been doing that, still been grinding MLB the show to the point where I think I'm almost a little bored. I think it needs a little bit something, or maybe I need a little bit of a break. I think I think I'm getting closer and closer to either restarting Red Dead. I've been looking at some. I don't know how, but I mean I know how Facebook knows I like Red Dead. So now I just get these random posts from groups that I'm not in about Red Dead Redemption 2. It's just like this is a great spot to find a quail. You know. Just be there at six in the morning and all this talk about hunting has gotten my manly blood up and boiling. I need to kill some things and skin them and bring them to the guy who buys this stuff. I forgot the name because I see it in Spanish, so I don't see it in English the fur trapper. I guess I'm forgetting. It's pelilletera in Spanish, so I play with the game in Spanish, which makes it that much harder to find things.
Speaker 2: Wait, do you actually? You play in Spanish. My PlayStation is in Spanish.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, everything, everything is in Spanish. My PlayStation, yeah. I mean, the only time I've ever really taken it off of Spanish is that Fallout, all right. So, because of the way spanish works, trying to buy things in fallout in terms of, like the upgraded armor for the I forget what the names of the suits are, now the I can't remember the suits the power armor, power armors, right. When it's the way it's, it's written in spanish. It's impossible to go through the list. It's really hard because everything's backwards, so like nor normally the, the, like the descriptors in front, and it makes more sense. It's like at the end of the of the item. So it's a little bit more confusing. But, yeah, I try to do it because that way I'll I'm gonna say this weird thing and I'll pass it off to anthony. Basically, I've learned so much Spanish playing Skyrim and Fallout because I've learned the names of things that I would have never even thought to look up. But now I found out because I, you know, I know I learned more fruits and vegetables, the names for monsters and things and swords and different implements, and it's definitely, I think, a more enjoyable way of learning the language for me.
Speaker 2: I like that a lot. I had never considered doing something like that. You know, I've considered like reading books in Spanish, but I think that's too heavy, too quick and it's not engaging enough for someone who doesn't know Spanish. Well, I can hear Spanish and I can understand it, but yeah, I think if I had to play a game, an immersive game, like you know a whole world, like that, that would help. I'm telling you, man, teach Spanish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting Phone watch, PlayStation. The only thing I really don't have in Spanish is my computer, just because, for work purposes and needing to get grading done or whatever, I keep that one in english, but it's a lifestyle choice. Oh, I forgot the most exciting news of the week, guys. So I'm scrolling on instagram and there's this coffee mug, slash water bottle and it's called the loud cup. I'm like, why would it be called the loud cup? well, I don't know it has a built-in like fog horn, like a voo-voo zella type horn. Whoa right.
Speaker 2: Why would anyone need that? Uh, so let's say you're.
Speaker 3: You know you're at your local sporting event and you know you want to root your team on and you want to make sure everyone hears you. But you know you're far away, you know, so you're just like, and I I bought that to work. I bought that to work. Today I started every class by blowing the horn. I went into people's classrooms, I stopped, stopped by admin, the main office, and I would just stop in front of people and just go man, I'm really thirsty and then take a sip and then switch it to the other side and then blow the horn. It was, honestly, this sounds dumb, but it's one of the most fun days I think I've had at work the entire year. It had nothing to do with teaching or it just was disrupting. At one point Jen came around the corner and said I knew you were in the hallway because I heard you randomly blow the horn. Kids were just jumping because they were like what is going on? It looks like I'm just drinking water and then you just hear a horn out of nowhere. So they don't even know it's me.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to stay hydrated too. You're going to have fun and, you know, retain water. That's excellent, we're not sponsored.
Speaker 3: We're not sponsored by Loud Cup, but I will tell you, if you just like having fun, it's like under $20 or something. It's the best purchase I've made, probably in the last 10 years.
Speaker 2: Wonderful.
Speaker 1: Anthony, let's head it off to you, for me it really hasn't been any craziness, or I haven't really had much going on, except for, like this week at work. We went through like that merger, like it's been that first week, and so on Monday, when the the merger like officially like kicked off, so on Monday, when the merger officially kicked off, it was okay. But on Tuesday, well, monday, because most of the bank was closed, the only people that were there were the techs and then all the new people coming on to the bank. But then Tuesday, when the rest of the bank started working, it was like all hell broke loose, dude, it was insane. So yeah, tuesday was crazy, but the past couple days it kind of mellowed out and today wasn't so bad. But yeah, man, it was for for a good, like you know, day and a half work was like pretty insane. I ended up that day I stayed like an hour extra helping knock out, like extra, you know, incidents that needed to be helped with. So yeah, man, that was a bit crazy. Other than that, man, well, I I have been kind of going through some anime that have been on my list or started, but like I never finished, and one of those is kaiju number eight. Dude, it's so good.
Speaker 2: Kaiju number eight so good, I actually wanted to watch that it's really good is it like a one one season show?
Speaker 1: well, there's only one season right now, but there is a second season. I don't think it's. No, it's not out yet, but it is on the way but, yeah, it's really good. I've been enjoying that a lot. I'm caught up on my hero, academia vigilantes, and you know, I mean obviously cowboy bebop, but yeah, it's been, yeah, a lot of like anime watching. And yeah, man, how about you, dakota? What have you been up to?
Speaker 2: I have gotten like a lot of like personal projects done, you know just random stuff around the house and other obligations that I've, you know, been keeping up with and I've basically got to a point where it's like all out of the way at this point. So it's kind of like a stress, a bunch of stress off of my shoulders. So I feel really good right now. But as far as geeky stuff that I did this week or at least it can count as geeky stuff I saw the new Lilo and Stitch live action remake and that was better than I thought it was going to be. You know a lot of people were dogging it online.
Speaker 3: What. For certain choices Wait people on the internet didn't like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the internet is a divisive place these days. So weird, did so weird. You could never really anticipate you know how it could be the best movie in the world and then you see something online that says, actually, you're a monster if you like this movie. There was a lot of that online and it wasn't half as bad as people are making it out to be. They do change one particular thing that might. I'm not going to spoil it, but they do change one particular thing about the way the movie resolves itself. If you haven't seen the movie and you don't know the context and you don't know how it actually resolves or if it's a happy ending or not, you can interpret that as this is the live action. It happened to be the best possible resolution to everything that they had introduced. So that's what I'll say about that. I liked the movie. I thought it was cute. It was exactly like the original movie, sans a couple characters, and they gave a little bit more clarification to some scenes and stuff. There was some really touching moments, like really heartfelt moments that well, I mean, we saw it opening weekend, so there was a lot of families out and there's one scene where it looks like a character's gonna die. You know, they the there's a scene that it looks like a character's gonna die and there was a kid crying hysterically right behind us and the parents were like no, no, no, it's, it's a kid's movie, it's going to be okay, kid was inconsolable soft my generation.
Speaker 3: We went to go see bambi. Spoiler alert baby's dad dies in the first and his mom dies in the first 10 minutes. So you were, you were born in the 40s well, no, the the. I mean it must have been like 88, 89, the re-release.
Speaker 2: It was my first movie ever oh, okay, and I, I didn't know I did in fact cry immediately, like I was, like well, that's like the first five minutes of it. It's, it's a really it's. You know it's traumatic. I haven't seen that movie since I was a kid. But yeah, lilo and Stitch good time. I recommend it if you are open-minded, I guess, to the possibility of a potentially good live-action Disney movie, because there's a lot of movies that I don't think deserve or need a live-action remake and we've covered a couple of them on the show. You know I don't think Aladdin needed on the show. You know I don't think aladdin needed to be remade, I don't think mulan mulan. Yeah, mulan's a strong case for not needing to be adapted. It's a very unmemorable movie because I don't even remember most of the live action remake. The lion king was almost verbatim. The original lion king that one wasn't good, it's I didn't like even live action. It's. It's not even live action, it's just, it's an animated movie. It just looks straight up cg yeah, but I would say that this is probably one of the better of the live action disney remakes up there for me, with beauty and the beast. Beauty and the beast is one of my favorite disney movies, like the original animate animated film, but the Beauty and the Beast live action added certain songs that enhance the story and I thought that that was really impressive. Some of my favorite Beauty and the Beast songs are from the live action. Evermore and Days in the Sun and Evermore are like top tier Disney songs and they are from a live action movie. Yeah, so anyway, I think Beauty and the Beast dropped the ball, I mean.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if you guys know top tier disney songs, and they are from a live action movie. Yeah, so anyway I think uh bs dropped the ball. I mean I'm not sure if you guys know this, but I was chip in the christmas play in seventh grade and they could have cast me in that role again and they dropped the ball. I'm not sure it's like me. And then jonathan taylor thomas are just the most well-known actors for that role for that role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was rooting for you. I didn't. I don't think I knew you at the time, but I saw your name on like the list of like possibilities and I was just like this guy's got the chops, literally the year before I was aladdin.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I was just a disney guy, you know you were that guy.
Speaker 2: You were that guy. Crazy thought guys, should we jump into cowboy bebop?
Speaker 1: should we I.
Speaker 2: I don't think I had anything else like going on this past week. If I did, I do not remember. But yeah, let's do it. Let's jump into the discussion. Rich, I want to tee back to what you were saying earlier. You kind of mentioned that by the second half of the show you had gone beyond just liking it. You started to really love certain aspects of it. How do you feel about the season as a whole, and do you think you'll have to go back to it to fully grasp the whole of it?
Speaker 3: I guess I think I'll have to go back. I mean, it's just, I think that there's something that I love about introductory pilot episodes to shows. You know where they're, just where you, you are a little like. I'm okay with exposition in my first couple of episodes so that I connect and then I'm able to grow or experience the rest of the narrative alongside of the characters, if that kind of makes sense. And I've always I'm not saying always my experience with some anime so far has been that it kind of just hits the ball rolling and then, like, we'll catch you up as we go along and I feel very disoriented and I can't, I don't like I remember not. I, I remember not. I didn't care about Jet, I didn't care about Spike. The person who I was first most interested in was Faye Valentine, but it's because we met her, I was getting more information about her. It just was presented in a way that I like to digest stories, where I Look just look Rich.
Speaker 1: We all had, at one point in our lives, had some sort of interest towards faye.
Speaker 3: You know mine was, you know a younger age, but you know she was, you know she is definitely created with fan service in mind but she does have, like you know, an interesting story though yeah, yeah, it's, I think, from in terms of like finding out about the characters. Obviously we do get more about jet and edward here and we get more about spike, but I think that she was like the first character that we got some more like it's like it made me want to scratch the surface more, like what's going on there, what's with this character, where the other two I just kind of felt lost because I didn't feel like I was really introduced to them, so like I won't and it's interesting I won't say that then edward's my second favorite, right, it's not because edward then comes in later when introduced. I actually would say, if I'm ranking the characters, I'm putting fey and then then jet, second actually for me by the end of black dog syndicate, the episode where he he's with his old partner.
Speaker 2: I think it's black dog yeah that, oh, that was such a good episode. Forget the name of the episode.
Speaker 3: We should pull up the episode list, just for the pretty sure it's like black dog syndicate or something maybe I'm confusing that with the red dawn? I don't know red dawns, I'm crossing my wires. I think that's han solo. But yeah, as you look that up, I just found black dog, black dog serenade. There we go. I knew it was an s sound, yeah, so it's just. I think, like that episode gave me a lot about his character and I just love the way it was laid out. I mean, I don't know if I'm naive, but I didn't see that his partner was at play the entire time and they know he was playing him and and he was the original like. I should have seen that coming, you know, like, but I just enjoyed it so much that I kind of lost the ability to analytically analyze story structure, which is what I do for a living, and that's when I know I like something right, when I stop analyzing it for like, oh, this is going to, this has to happen next. You know, I'm that guy who, when han was killed by kylo ren, I gasped in the middle of the theater and I remember my friend looked at me and said how are you surprised about this development? And I had tears streaming down my face, you know. So by the end of this I was like when, when Ed and Ian walk away. I was like what is this for real? Like I was getting, you know, I think as the series ended I was kind of really sad that there wasn't more to it.
Speaker 1: Like you could tell that it was winding down, like it felt like everything was coming to a head, like it was like a lot of signs were pointing there. There was a lot of you know the you know bounty of the week still kind of going on, but there was still you know underlying things that were kind of at work, that they were kind of building up, and what were y'all's thoughts about you know fay? Fay is pretty much like a woman out of time. You know. She's like captain america. She was frozen. That's a good way. Yeah, yeah I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, for me I think that that was the point in the show that it all really clicked for me was learning about her origin, like waking up 50 years later, and I really liked the. I mean, as a timeline geek, I immediately like, okay, all right, now I know where we are in the scheme of things. You know, like I've seen dates like you know, like this character was born in 2030, or something like that, but it wasn't until they mentioned that she woke up in 2068. And this was now three years later. So the show takes place in 2071. And, yeah, I thought that that was a. Really it helped me just start pinpointing like, okay, now, 50 years ago, so we're in 2071. So 50 years ago, 2021 or 2022, the moon for some reason collapses and destroys Earth and everything's changed ever since. You know, now Earth is just surrounded by asteroids and stuff like that, droids and stuff like that. So just that little bit of Faye's backstory helped me kind of piece out the timeline or parse out the timeline, I should say, in my head, and I liked that. I liked it a lot. It was really cool. And, yeah, knowing that she wasn't always this like cold, heartless bounty hunter is interesting because what happened in those three years that you know? She has decided that, like this is the person that she has to be, because she doesn't remember the person that she was. I thought that was fascinating.
Speaker 3: Would you have hated it if the show started with her on Earth right and then, like time, jumped to her in the present?
Speaker 2: but then we find the video later I don't know that I would have hated it, but I like the presentation the way that it is because every character is mysterious as we first meet them. You know, like every character has a mysterious background that we don't fully understand until pretty much the end of the season and I feel like they would have been giving too much right away yeah, even, even if not much was said.
Speaker 1: I think giving that would have been giving a little bit too much and I think that that would have shifted like maybe this, I guess, the setup of the show and it probably would have still come out well, but maybe not as well as it did. You know the fact that, like dakota said, like you know what kind of keeps you going, is that mystique? But then you're like, okay, well, I know that she's from earth and you know it was very much obvious that, like when she was on earth and the, when you saw that beta max, that you know the earth, it didn't seem high tech as the world of Cowboy Bebop does. So it's like, okay, well, something happened. But yeah, I agree with Dakota, the way that it was presented as is, I prefer it that way.
Speaker 2: The show's presentation is a particularly interesting one in the sense that it almost follows the same logic that the first two Witcher novels employ. Where the first two Witcher novels are just collections of short stories that aren't in chronological order, they give you a random short story with a moral, you know, backbone and there's a little bit of a character arc that you can start to piece together. Okay, this is kind of where this character is coming from, this is where they, this is their goal, this is where they're headed and there's a little bit of foreshadowing as to what's to come. And that's that's what happens in the first two short story collections for the Witcher. For all intents and purposes, those are my favorite Witcher stories bar none. As soon as it gets into, like the long novels where Geralt actually meets up with Yennefer and they start taking Ciri on, it loses me because the mystique is gone and it's just narrative storytelling. At that point, and with Cowboy Bebop it never gets there Because every episode is basically a short story. It's a little bottle episode that gives you a piece of the puzzle, and while it seems to be all in chronological order, it doesn't necessarily need to be Like. You could rearrange a couple of these episodes and you wouldn't know that you wouldn't be any the wiser. You know, and I think that that's a really cool method of telling this story and ultimately, like thinking back on everything as a whole, now that we've gotten all these little pieces to the puzzle. I think it's genius, Like whoever wrote this, whoever you know spent the time and money to produce this. Absolutely genius Like. This was a really strong watch. I'm really happy we did this.
Speaker 3: Rich. What do you think? So I mean, I think you're right. I think a part of me, it's just the way I like to consume narratives or stories. I'm very much of a you know kind of more linear, with like fewer flashbacks. You know like I love lord of the rings. There's almost nothing there and I know we know there are references and things, but overall it's kind of just straightforward. I think I kind of like that a little bit more sometimes and I think, just as a reader, as a watcher, the mysterious kind of reveal along the way is something that's kind of. I mean, we talked about it when we watched rings of power. You know like I enjoyed it so much more when I knew who everyone was, and it wasn't the. You know the stranger is this guy and you know hal brand is this guy, and I think it's just that. That's probably just something. That's probably a gripe I'm just gonna have when we go over something and there's kind of this shroud of mystery on people it's harder to get into, that's for sure, and and we were experiencing that last week Like we didn't know, what to think.
Speaker 2: I recognize that this was art, but I didn't connect with it fully last week. I feel like if I dive into this more, I could become even a bigger fan of whatever's going on with this show, because the level of artistry on display, both in the writing, the animation, the music choice, the sound choices and even just like the pacing of how they introduce concepts and ideas to you while also giving you very heavy sci fi concepts along with it like there's a whole episode where you know downloading one's consciousness into a digital world and how that was causing like a mass suicide spike. Fascinating concept and you know I've seen similar stuff in sci fi before. It's not an entirely new concept, but the way that it incorporates into this universe is just so fun or maybe not fun Fun's not probably the right word, but it's realistic and you can feel that this is something that could happen in this universe. So, rich, you were mentioning earlier about the flashback to the beta deck and the tape that Faye is delivered. Do you find that that's a flashback or is it just that she's experiencing this as new information in the moment?
Speaker 3: I know it's a narrative conceit and I know it's still a flashback, but it makes it feel like less like a flashback. It's something about you know the footage being seen. We're seeing it at the same time. That didn't bother like I. I liked it. I giggled when they first took the you know the beta, beta cassette out. I remember looking at it and I immediately said that's not a vhs, just from the kind of the outside box, like the, the front of it it's smaller, it's just like a little more square, yeah, so I was like I love that he was just ripping I know I was I was like cringing inside, like no, don't do that I was dying. Also, the gag that if they had just like stayed put they would have gotten the betamax player is unbelievable. Chef's kiss, just really good stuff I just enjoyed. So when I realized it was a betamax, I immediately giggled because I was like good luck finding something to play that on. You know like, and I know it's supposed to be really far in the future, but you know, I think even now it's way easier to find a vhs player if you wanted to, than a betamac.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, so, yeah, they exist, yeah, so, but so, yeah, so when you were saying that I honestly I don't see this moment as a flashback. When I think of like a flashback, usually it's like a complete cut or it's like somebody thinking back on that moment, you know. But the way that it was presented was that it was presented like you know, kind of like in that video format, and it was being presented as new information, whereas for me it didn't feel so much as like a flashback in like the traditional sense of a flashback.
Speaker 3: Fair. I think that what I dislike sometimes is when flashback is used for character development, whereas I'd rather the character develop in front of me. His or her current actions will then dictate who they are. It doesn't always have to be what came before, but I think that if I had known more about the other characters or like overall, not knowing fey and her being mysterious, would have been okay with me. Know that it probably shouldn't start very linearly, but I think I would have kind of liked to see that. I just like to see how it would play out if it was rolled out that way, if faye was, say, the only one who was really mysterious. Even jet we don't find out about his arm. Until what is that?
Speaker 2: episode 21, 19 like it's yeah, it's, it's the black Dog, sarah episode.
Speaker 3: So it's just there are all these important things. And then the jump in technology, right, I mean, I imagine, yeah, I guess, if I looked at media from 70 years ago, well, she's no, I guess it would have been 60 years ago, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so 60 years ago yeah.
Speaker 3: And this is probably being picky, right, you know, but I mean I wouldn't, I don't know. Maybe my son, if he grabbed an eight track, would be like you know what is and rolling the stuff out of it. You know, I mean, spike is a little bit absent-minded and kind of does some bonehead things along the way, so I guess it's not completely out of character for him to immediately destroy something before having any idea of what it is, you know that's like in like movies or tv shows, where they're reading a comic book, and like they'll like fold back the pages and they'll just like flop it around and it's like in my head
Speaker 2: I'm like no, you're gonna crease it. What are you doing? Yes I I have owned hundreds of comic books. I do not crease anything Like it's very, except for like the first couple of things I read when I was a kid are like damaged. But I can't throw them out because you know sentimental value.
Speaker 3: My wife bought me Hulk 181, the first appearance of Wolverine. I know if you're listening you're probably like well, actually he appeared in the last panels of Hulk 180. And you would be correct. But his first full appearance was 181. And we went to Comic-Con one year and she picked it up for me and I brought it home and I could tell she was waiting for me to take it out and read it right.
Speaker 2: Was it graded?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it's not in the, it wasn't, it wasn't slabbed, no, it wasn't graded, but I still. I went and I downloaded it digitally and I started reading it and she's like what are you doing? and I'm like what's I can't open, that I was like that's like the ark of the covenant, like that thing is staying there. I have every issue from, like you know, that first appearance to the entire first run of wolverine, and then volume two, volume three, volume four, like basically up until the volumes that just came out three years ago. I had every single issue and I have them hermetically sealed and I'll never open them. You know so that would be me.
Speaker 1: That would be me if I had like an action comics number one in front of me like I'd be like I'm not even like, I'm not even like going to like glance at this thing.
Speaker 2: It might burst into flames yeah, well, we were sorry, I derailed that conversation, oh it came.
Speaker 1: It derailed from the beta max. That uh yeah, that uh spike destroyed.
Speaker 2: How we treat analog content and I like that they do separate the current time of 2071 from the more analog time of, like the early 21st century. And yeah, it's. I think that the progression of technology is probably a little bit crazier than will actually exist in our timeline, but I do like the vision, like the idea of how life is going to be like. I mean, even if we watch like blade runner in 2019, la looks like the most crazy, like futuristic society, but obviously 2019 la just looks like la.
Speaker 1: Right. Same thing could be said about Back to the Future 2015. Back to the Future 2.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was like wait Back to the Future, 2015. What?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like how they made 2015 look super futuristic.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's what you meant, yeah.
Speaker 1: None of that technology exists.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was a good point.
Speaker 1: Shoot even Space Odyssey 2001. That's a good one too. Yeah, so I mean the technological creep isn't as years ago didn't expect us to be as technologically savvy with stuff like smartphones and computers and stuff like that no, no, yeah, I didn't like, even like a lot of them had like video calling, but it looked so old school, like the depiction of like a futuristic like video calling, except except for maybe Star Wars, whereas they have the holograms. We have not really made it to that point yet. I mean, holograms kind of exist, but it's really an illusion type thing, not where it's something that's really being projected right in front of us.
Speaker 2: So, anthony, we heard Rich's favorite characters ranked. How do you rank the characters, or at least their backstories?
Speaker 1: So, as far as the backstories, I mean, I like Jet a lot. I really feel like he's got a lot of heart. You know he's that. He's that character that, like you know, he'll say, like you know, go do what you want, I don't care, but then he'll have their backs, you know. And so I really like him a lot. I would say that honestly, tell you truth, like, oh man, backstory wise, maybe like jet, you know, jet face spike and edward. But then, like, if I said likability, I would say I would say edward, jet and spike and fay, like live on that same line because they're practically two sides of the same coin wait, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: like? In likability, like you know like they're all the same or what do you mean?
Speaker 1: no, I'm saying likability, like that. You like them, you know like yeah you enjoy them. That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: So how would you rank them on a basis of like, liking them?
Speaker 1: That's what I Edward. So Edward, jet, and then Faye and Spike are on the same line because they're like the same person.
Speaker 2: That's what I was saying oh okay, I see what you're saying. Oh okay, all right, gotcha, gotcha, gotcha, yeah Okay. So you're a big Ed fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I guess Ed and Jet are interchangeable for me Because they're really like you know, they have lovable personalities and Ed kind of injects that childlike humor into it. I really enjoyed the whole chess episode. Was that last week, or was that this set of episodes? I don't remember the chess episode. Yeah, no week, or is that this set?
Speaker 2: of episodes I don't remember. Was it both? The chess episode?
Speaker 1: yeah no, it was this week. Yeah, but I think it was. Was it bohemian rhapsody that? Yes, so it was the first episode that we, yes, watch yeah, so I really liked that one that they had, like that chess master and like ed was playing like the same game for like that entire time.
Speaker 2: It was for such a long time and I like that. The chess master was, just like this guy's, either a genius or an idiot. Yeah, yeah, I love that and it's probably a bit of both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know absolutely, but yeah, no, I would say like ed and jed are like interchangeable, whereas fey and spike are like kind of the same because they get on each other's nerves. But I think that's because they're very similar right.
Speaker 2: I liked the ed episode mushroom samba because it was mostly an ed and ein episode there wasn't much going on with the other characters besides, like they were hungry, but for the most part it was just ed and ein on an adventure and I was laughing my butt off. Yeah, me too like yeah some of the animations they like whenever they had Ed running and she's just like flailing her arms in the background. It's such a funny idea. It's like I forget the name of those monkeys, but like if you ever see like certain like lanky monkeys run. They keep their hands in the air because their arms are too long and they would hit the ground. It looked like that was really fun.
Speaker 1: I like that episode too. That one was hilarious then like the whole like train sequence was like hilarious with them yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And again, it's just beautiful animation throughout, like they don't skimp on it ever in this show, and even like smaller scale episodes like this one feel impactful and feel worthy of your time and I think that that's. That's really fun. Were there any episodes? Really quick, rich. We were talking about certain episodes that we liked about Ayn, specifically like the Bohemian Rhapsody episode with the chess master, as well as the mushroom episode with Ayn and Ed. What are your thoughts on those so?
Speaker 3: the Bohemian Rhapsody. I really enjoyed that one, but I think that for me, the mushroom one was oh, it's perfect. I don't know if it's so. We know he eats the mushroom and he starts hopping right away. You know, that's where we get a little bit more of Ed here as well. Just how the three of them are, you know, jet, spike and Faye are just all tripping out on the oh my gosh, that was so funny.
Speaker 2: The idea of just pretending, or like thinking, that he's going up these stairs that are like never ending is such a funny visual and they actually visualize like he's just slightly stepping up and down on the same step.
Speaker 3: but I think my favorite, and it's because I've seen people come to the conclusion that they've solved the mysteries of life, you know, so what?
Speaker 2: oh, my favorite line.
Speaker 3: Honestly, it was jet sitting there going oh that's it, I figured it out, figure what life's all about. And I've heard people in the same state say the same exact sentence. You know, like, yeah, you know we broke the code. You know, and I'm like, yeah, yeah, you broke the code. So when I heard him say it, I'll just say that it felt like they definitely consulted with someone on that episode, right, who had taken some kind of magic mushrooms, I think, and they were like I wouldn't doubt the writers of the show to have, you know, gone on that trip themselves.
Speaker 2: Because the thing with good science fiction that you don't see a lot today is life experience. And I think that when you like, just using Star Trek as an example, you have classic Star Trek. You know the 60s stuff, but specifically the stuff in the 80s and 90s felt very grounded. Every episode had a purpose, every episode had a morality and it felt like the writers had lived experience. The writers had lived experience. Fast forward to Picard and Discovery, like the newer Star Trek shows. I'm not saying that they're bad. Well, I am saying Picard is bad, but I'm not saying that the other shows are bad. Picard was terrible. I quit YouTube for three months after Picard. I was in such a depression because he's my favorite character Anyway. But you just don't have the same lived experience in writers these days and sometimes it really shows. And I think with a show like Cowboy Bebop, I'm not saying that they, you know, had gang affiliations or they were in shootouts constantly, but the level of writing indicated that they were world weary people. They had experience that they wanted to impart onto viewers.
Speaker 1: So I think that that's something I take away from at least the mushroom episode I mean, you can also tell that, like you know just watching this from beginning to end, that this anime was expensive yeah, the level of animation.
Speaker 2: You could just you see it in every episode. It's just like this was made in the 90s. Everything was made by hand. There was no computer generation here there was a little bit of computer generation, but it was like you could see when it was computer generated. But what I mean is like, like you're saying, anthony, everything was hand drawn and it took time. Yeah, yeah, well, and then that that's why, like you're saying, Anthony, everything was hand-drawn and it took time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, and then that that's why, like you know, last week I was kind of saying that, like you know, there's aspects of it that you can tell that it's a 90s anime, but there's also a lot of it that makes it look different than the rest of what came out during that time. You know, you can compare the animation of, like Dragon Ball Z and you know, sailor Moon with, maybe like Yu Yu Hakusho, but you can't compare the animation of Dragon Ball Z and Cowboy Bebop because they look different. You know that it's anime and it does have like the vibes of a 90s anime, but it looks way better than anything that came out or very I would say it's like one of the top things that came out around that time as far as animation and especially writing yeah rich.
Speaker 2: Did you find anything like uh impressive about the animation style or anything that stood out to you about that?
Speaker 3: granted, it was produced a lot, you know, many years ago, even just uh, it's it's not as crisp, obviously, as things that come out now. But I think I mentioned this last episode as well. I really appreciate that. I don't think there's any. They don't take any of those animation shortcuts where you know they're walking down a similar hallway or they're running in the same way or anything like that, like even when they when they reuse the same locales, or you know, even on the bebop or anything like that. To my knowledge I don't think there's any kind of similarity at all, almost in. They don't take any of those shortcuts where it just seems like it's like that stock scene or whatever that they can kind of keep dropping into every episode, and I thought that that's something yeah, that's, it's. It's not spider-man swinging, but like next to the same buildings constantly you know, and I I definitely experienced lots of animation, and not just anime, right, just lots of animation that was lazy like that, you know, and it would reuse things over and over again. I mean he-man, the master's universe, right, it's like, or even like thundercats were two prime examples of shows that just re wildly popular but just reused the same stills probably like 17, 18 times throughout the season, and I really appreciate that Kobo Ibibop didn't do that. The music is definitely obviously a special part of it and I think that I don't really have an appreciation for that style of music, but I think that the way they chose it, the songs they chose and their placement was excellently done and what I find interesting is that the music didn't feel dated.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes you listen to 90s music and it sounds like 90s music, you know yeah there's a lot of music in this that I'd be like. This sounds contemporary. I don't understand how all of these I mean mean some of the more jazzy tunes, like the song at the end. What's it called? The song that's at the end of every episode, the real?
Speaker 1: folk blues. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's probably the most dated sounding of them because of the way that it's sung.
Speaker 1: It's so good, though For the most part no it's been stuck in my head all week week. But yeah, I'm looking at how long it took to animate this and how expensive it was it was, and the the thing that I love that they did was because that outro track, the real folk blues that's how they named the last two episodes of the series that same and I was like dude it just and they they actually fit it in during, uh, one of the episodes and I saw that, yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 1: They definitely did and like, dude, like how insane was it was like fey and spike were like in the middle of like a space battle and they had this beautiful music playing on the backdrop and it just it fit so well in that moment, like it was music that wouldn't normally fit within a, you know, a battle like that, but it fit so well with the theme of that show, like you're so used to watching the show and how they fit this music in that it just felt so natural in that moment that's a really good point and I that that harkens back to like what I was trying to get at last week.
Speaker 2: Even there's scenes where it has a juxtaposition between action and very mellow, I should say, or melodic music that you wouldn't necessarily put on something like that. A lot of times you would put something a little bit more energetic, but it almost causes you to like hold your breath because it's it's sounds like something's about to happen and it's a it's a real, just genuinely cool way to incorporate music into it. So really quick. Anthony, you said that it was expensive and that you know it must have taken a long time. It took about two years to animate this season, which is a very long time for you know anime for because an episode's usually like four weeks all together and usually they're not four weeks consecutively. You know like they're overlapped. You know like you have different teams working on different animations, but the estimated cost at the time was around 300 to 500 000 us dollars, and the average at the time, you know, for other anime that inflated was no, that's that's. That's the average cost.
Speaker 1: The time 300 000 to 500 000 that's a lot of money for the 90s dude.
Speaker 2: So I can imagine inflated. Most anime in that era costs about 100 to 250 per episode, 250 000 per episode.
Speaker 1: So this is what almost half a million gets you as far as animation in that time period. And it shows yeah yeah, that would.
Speaker 2: It would be like well over a million in today's buckaroos, but yeah, I loved it guys. Yeah, this was a really like incredible show so.
Speaker 1: So yeah, in the first part of the, in part one, we get a little bit of a. You know, we talked a little bit of the standoff between Spike and Vicious, whereas in this one we finally get like that last standoff between Spike and Vicious. What were y'all's thought about that? You know, spike finally got julia, came back into his life and then he lost her. And you know, was it buddy? It was a gin gin's brother.
Speaker 2: It was like lynn's brother chin.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that's what it was um you know he, you know he got gunned down right in front of him like all these people were getting gunned down right in front of him, like all these people were getting gunned down right in front of him. And yeah, he finally like gets that last standoff with Vicious. I want to know what y'all thought about that.
Speaker 2: The idea of the Red Serpent Centicate is touched upon earlier in the season. We kind of get the idea that Jet, or Spike rather, has absolved himself of that lifestyle. He's no longer doing that. He's a bounty hunter now. But we, you know, last week we talked about he has a past with this girl, julia. He has a past with this guy, vicious. We're not really sure what the past is and I think I still need to rewatch it to fully grasp what is their past, because again, it's given to us in fragmented roles and we're only told part of the story. I think. You know, I think we're meant to be a little bit in the dark as to what happened between points a, b, c through z, you know, like I think they give us just enough so that we're coming into the movie halfway. And that was probably my biggest gripe last week was that I want to know more about Spike. He seems like he's the main character, at least in the first half of the show. He seems like he's the primary character and all of these other characters just kind of revolve around him. But it kind of got to the point where each episode revolved around a different character, you know, by the second half of the show. You had a couple EPs for Ed, you had a couple EPs for Faye, you had a couple EPs for Jet and Spike actually probably had the least episodes in the last half, except for, you know, the finale was all about him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they capped it off with him.
Speaker 2: So to you know my roundabout way of saying I think I really liked the amount that we are given and it makes me want to go back to see if I missed something, because I'm sure I missed something. I wasn't fully emotionally invested into the story, enough for me to grasp every single nuanced line or flashback image or whatever. But now that I know that the basic gist is spike used to work for the red serpent syndicate. He broke it off when he found julia. He he loved julia. He was somehow found by vicious and you know they rekindled old hatreds or something and spike's just kind of been aloof and on the run from the syndicate ever since and he's just trying to steer clear of them and now it's too late because of the coup and vicious clearly wants everyone dead so he also.
Speaker 3: He faked his. If I remember correctly, he had faked his death spike. Yeah, he fakes his. If I remember correctly, he had faked his death Spike.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he fakes his death. I think it's that scene.
Speaker 3: I remember him being at the store earlier, maybe in the second or third, like very early on, where he's talking to like a shopkeeper who says, like you know now, basically they're going to know that you're alive now. I think that's how he gets discovered.
Speaker 1: Am I right? They're gonna know that you're alive now. I think that's how he gets discovered, am I right? Anthony was it? Yeah, he does. He did fake his death.
Speaker 3: He made that promise to julia that he's pretty much done with the syndicate and but julia's in the syndicate too.
Speaker 1: She's interpreting her, her, her like relationship is kind of complicated in the sense that like she's kind of straddled between spike and vicious, but not like romantic. It's just weird how she's kind of wedged in there. He's like she's like the because he asks her.
Speaker 3: He confronts her, he's like the.
Speaker 1: He's like the obstacle between the syndicate life and then like the life that he wants to live with julia.
Speaker 2: But julia obviously like she's kind of ingrained a little bit into that because of, you know, spike's previous life yeah, they don't give us enough information about how she was specifically involved in the syndicate, but at some point I don't know if there was like a bonnie and clyde moment with spike and her, where they were both in the syndicate briefly or, you know, if she did smuggling runs or something we don't, we kind of reminds me of Kira from Solo where we just have that gap and that lack of information.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure about you, but like I wanted to know what happened to Kira in that time, it would have made a little bit more sense how she went from being caught by the Imperials.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know there's certain things that were, you know kind of, I guess, left out for interpretation in a way fair.
Speaker 3: I, you know, I've I've kind of said it before, it's just I like to know, I like to for lack of a better term I like to download all the information I can on everybody and look, it's an authorial choice, right? Or director's choice, whatever the creator's choice how much information they give us about a character. You know and I think I'm just greedy I just always want more, more and more. It did. I'm not sure if this is where dakota was going with it, but it did feel a little bit like he wasn't the main and it was almost. I don't want to say it was out of place that the last two episodes were so centered on Spike. But I'm not sure and, like I said, maybe I agree with Dakota, maybe I have to go back and rewatch it and then kind of piece it together a little bit more, but he always felt like the main, but he did feel like the character that we had the least amount of information about, and I don't want to say that I didn't believe his love for Julia, but I don't know how to put this if he's supposed to be the main character he's like a pseudo main character. Yeah I don't know why. I don't know why he loves julia other than she's a pretty blonde girl I think it represented normalcy for him.
Speaker 1: I think it represented a normal life, and the idea of her was what kept him going, because one day he wanted to settle down and yeah, and a lot of times, like in the last couple episodes, they mentioned something along the lines of let's just run away and, you know, stop all this yeah but obviously you can't run away from your past, not when your past is the red serpent, syndicate and vicious, you know, trying to kill you yeah, and then what I thought it was so crazy also with the whole setup, that vicious did, like you know, kind of like taking down those like heads with um yeah, that was interesting. Yeah, that was kind of cool that bird that he usually would have with them like kind of secretly like, or had it had like explosives and then dropped down like smoke bombs.
Speaker 2: That was insane man what did you guys think of ein leaving or ein and ed?
Speaker 3: I should say I mean so ed was so close to reuniting with her father and I'm not sure if we're supposed to understand that ed is going to find her father. I don't think that was the case. It seemed like just wanted to break out on her own. I guess I get I'm wanting to go with her, but it did feel like it was all. I mean, that felt like the unwinding, the, uh, the what is it? There's the line from greek aspie. It was like the end of the convent, canvasary or something like that, and it's kind of like the wheels are falling off right and like everyone's splitting town and I guess I get it, but I I thought there was more. I don't want to call them a crew, like a, like a spaceship crew, for sure, but I thought they were more of a team than like these, just basically Irish goodbyes. You know, like all right, I'm out, like I know that that's kind of part of Faye's character where she has this idea that I'm not sure if it's attention seeking in terms of like she wants to see if they care. So she's like I'm gonna leave and see if anybody notices or if you know, she's kind of trying to get ahead of them, not wanting her around anymore, like psychologically. I don't know where I fall on her motivations for that, but ed leaving was just as mysterious as ed joining, almost like you know it's like what you're gone he was just there for the rockers.
Speaker 2: I keep saying he.
Speaker 3: Well then, at the end of the show then but then the father is talking about his son, so I think ed is supposed to be non-binary androgynous yes non-binary right, like it's not surprising that ed's father would not acknowledge Ed's non-binary-ness for lack of a better term Existence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Ed is a biological girl, because the name that his father gives her is I forget the name, but it was female Francois. Was it Francois?
Speaker 3: Francois, yeah, was it.
Speaker 2: Francois. Yeah, it was Francois yeah, was it Francois. I would say that's feminine.
Speaker 3: Well, it's French, so I just could you know. Yeah, I'm not sure, actually I'd have to look that up, francois, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the name Francois is primarily a female name a French origin.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: But you're right, he wasn't sure if it was a son or a daughter, but I took, I interpreted that not as a gender affirming thing, one way or the other. I just think that he was so aloof and in his own head that the fact that he forgot his you know daughter existed for like years is proof that, like this wasn't a good father ever, you know, like he, he didn't care one way or the other well, I mean, you saw how he like took off, just like right then, and there oh yeah, without, without a thought in his head. You know, like work called and he was off, so I don't think that ed was going to visit her father, but I think that ed's time with the crew had ended. You know, it was almost like a hitchhiker and they were back home, but I was a little bit hurt when I left. I was just like no, no, no, go back.
Speaker 1: There's food there yeah, well, I mean, like over time it kind of you saw that bond between ed and I kind of develop and nobody else like really cared for for Ein except for maybe Jet. Jet made sure that that Ein was like fed. But I mean you know that whole instance of and it was in the episodes from last week where Faye goes in the fridge and takes the dog food and like eats the dog food.
Speaker 2: That's a good point, yeah, so I will say that I'm happy that Ed is not alone.
Speaker 1: Ed has a friend.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anything else we want to bring up before we bring this to a close.
Speaker 1: I think we're pretty good, you know. I think that with pretty much the information that's presented in Cowboy Bebop is. You know, there's a lot more that could be broken down, but like we would have to turn into a cowboy bebop podcast, and really dive into that we literally could do an episode on each of the episodes.
Speaker 2: Just that's how much is present within the show, but obviously we got bigger fish to fry, my friends yeah, just go over to geek critique and dakota will set up a timeline for cowboy bebop. Y'all can head that way I got a bunch of timelines on the docket I I did consider it briefly, I was just like okay I figured it out, I can make this. And then I realized I was gonna be a 20 30 minute video, maybe one day. But before we close, I just you meant you guys were mentioning Jet and I don't think I got a word in on on Jet's backstory. I just love the idea that he's like he was always too good, even for the police. You know, he was an IS, issp or something like that yeah, issp, and he was too good for the force, and he was an ISSP or something like that, yeah, issp, and he was too good for the force and he was the only one who was uncorruptible. But he's the one that left the force and you know he's seen as like a vigilante, almost slash, bounty hunter, that like kind of plays outside the rules. But he's still the one with the moral compass and I think that at the end, the fact that his partner was the one with the moral compass and I think that at the end, the fact that his partner was the one who betrayed him and even almost tried killing him at the end to get rid of the evidence I'm assuming yeah and it seemed as if he wasn't going to tell the issp what really went down. He was just gonna take that to the grave. You know, like this guy had his noble ends and that's it, you know yeah, he was the whole reason why jet lost his arm too I know, yeah, what a jerk, but jets, jets, the real one. Guys, thank you so much for listening to us here for our 122nd episode. Yes, 122nd episode. What are we covering next week?
Speaker 3: That's a good question. Like Spike viewers, this will remain a mystery. You'll have to tune in next week to find out.
Speaker 2: I actually Would you guys want to do the new Captain America movie that's on Disney.
Speaker 3: Plus now, yeah, I'll totally do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we could do that.
Speaker 2: I think it would be kind of brave I haven't seen it, it would be brave of us to do so all right, guys, next week we're gonna do something extremely brave. We're covering captain america 4 quattro. Brave new world, previously known as new world order. I get the names confused all the time online. It's just stuck in my head as Captain America New World Order. But yeah, we're gonna cover Brave New World for episode 123 of Project Ecology. So be there or be square Guys. If you liked what you heard today and you haven't already given us a review, please be sure to make it juicy, kind of like those mushrooms that they were eating that, like you know, just opened their mind. I want, I want you to open our mind with your juicy comments. Please review us a nice five star, juicy review. And yeah, if you want to check out any of our socials, be sure to click down into the show notes and you will find us there.
Speaker 1: Any last thoughts on cowboy bebop gentlemen if y'all have not seenbop, you need to watch it right now. Stop what you are doing and go watch it right now.
Speaker 2: And if you have, we spoiled everything but watch it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I mean. Look, you could still enjoy it even with everything we talked about. And if you have seen it and you haven't seen it in a while go back and watch it.
Speaker 2: This is your wake-up call. Go watch cowboy view up again, or for the first time, rich.
Speaker 3: Last thoughts you guys done it again. You took a genre that I previously did not dip my toe into and you found something that I can honestly say. If you guys are not normally fans of anime, this is something different and it is something you should take a look at, and I think that you will enjoy.
Speaker 2: You heard it here first, folks. Actually, you've probably heard it elsewhere before. But you've heard it here third or fourth Tune in next week for Captain America Brave New World and we'll hear from you next week you're gonna carry that weight see you space samurai.