Brent Gleeson is a Navy SEAL combat veteran with multiple combat deployments to Iraq and Africa. Upon leaving SEAL Team 5, Brent turned his discipline and battlefield lessons to the world of business and has become an award-winning entrepreneur, bestselling author, and acclaimed speaker on topics ranging from resilience, mental toughness, leadership and building high-performance teams to culture, and organizational transformation.
Brent is the Founder and CEO of TakingPoint Leadership, a progressive leadership and organizational development consulting firm with a focus on business transformation and building high-performance cultures. Brent was named a Top 10 CEO by Entrepreneur Magazine in 2013.
Brent holds degrees in finance and economics from Southern Methodist University, certificates in English and History from Oxford University in England and a graduate business degree from the University of San Diego. He is the bestselling author of TakingPoint: A Navy SEAL’s 10 Fail-Safe Principles for Leading Through Change, which was a #1 New Release on Amazon in Organizational Change and Business Structural Adjustment. Brent latest book, Embrace the Suck: The Navy SEAL Way to an Extraordinary Life, publishes on December 22, 2020.
In this episode:
- "The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday" - how this Navy SEALS motto relates to business and sales management in SaaS
- How Navy SEALS become mentally tough and survive Hell Week - what SaaS CROs and sales leaders can do including engaging in health and wellness activities, taking short breaks, journaling and better sleep
- Hear a real life and death Navy SEALS "capture & kill" combat story from Baghdad
- On grit, resilience, "emotional maturity", stress management and compartmentalization and learning what is in your control
- The Navy SEAL way of "leaning into adversity"
- About changing people on the team before changing the team
- On the upcoming book "Embrace the Suck: The Navy SEAL Way to an Extraordinary Life"
- Insights on "leading change"
- The rituals, beliefs and guiding principles
- Leadership - why great leaders have empathy
- The Navy SEALS and the "Rule of 7" & the "Rule of 40%"
- Understanding people's behaviors and what motivates them and measuring team engagement at work
- How to get a team to click and enhancing the performance of your team
- Insights from Navy SEALS research/studies in the boat with good leaders vs. bad leaders (and what happens when you remove a good leader and bring in a bad leader to a well-functioning team)
- Z asks whether Brent knows other Navy SEALS like @Jocko Willink and @Leif Babin as well as @David Goggins
- How CEOs and CROs can hire Navy SEALs into SaaS sales roles with Elite Meet and the Honor Foundation