WHAAAAAT? AND WHY NOW?
October 15, 2020
COVID-19, social and political tension, Department of Education Investigations, and a little more on Jerry Falwell.
John Graff, Scott Schneider, and special guest Josh Nolan of Bricker & Eckler LLP break down recent news about Department of Education investigations into campus free speech, an Executive Order about diversity trainings of federal contractors, and a Department of Justice lawsuit about admissions practices.
We also chat about the overwhelming flood of issues student affairs professionals have to confront in today’s world, and our great respect for those professionals and the mission they serve. And because we are about higher ed legal issues AND rock and roll, we acknowledge the recent passing of the legendary Eddie Van Halen.
- 3 Universities Face U.S. Inquiries Into Free Speech Controversies: (Chronicle of Higher Education, October 1, 2020): https://www.chronicle.com/article/3-universities-face-u-s-inquiries-into-free-speech-controversies?cid2=gen_login_refresh&cid=gen_sign_in
- Executive Order on Combatting Race and Sex Stereotyping (September 22, 2020): https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-combating-race-sex-stereotyping/
- Justice Department v. Yale (Inside Higher Ed, August 17, 2020): https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2020/08/17/justice-department-threatens-yale-lawsuit
- Justice Department Sues Yale (Inside Higher Ed, October 9, 2020): https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2020/10/09/justice-department-sues-yale
- Eddie Van Halen, Hall of Famer Who Revolutionized the Guitar, Dead at 65 (Rolling Stone, October 6, 2020): https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eddie-van-halen-dead-200051/