QUO Fast Radio Bursts
E06: Ultra Diffuse Galaxies ft. Ananthan
December 14, 2020
- SMUDGes stands for "Systematically Measuring Ultra-Diffuse Galaxies survey"
- Ananthan recently published the analysis of HI emission data for a collection of UDGs
- This data helps us understand how UDGs form, as there are three competing scenarios for where they come from.
- Ananthan also found that determining the inclination for these galaxies is very challenging, but important for their understanding.
- This inclination modelling might help us understand why UDGs seem to not follow a pattern that all other galaxies seem to follow.
- Finally answering these questions will need powerful new telescopes like MeerKat and the future SKA
- These telescopes will let use see UDGs in fine detail to determine their inclination and ultimately how they fit with other galaxies
- Ananthan is almost done his PhD and is applying to further research positions so he can continue to investigate these mysteries!
Links to Science Outreach Material:
Special thanks to Colin Vendromin for the music also thanks to Zac Kenny for the logo!