The Offstage Cast
Making Some Short Cuts
October 21, 2020
The Liverpool International Theatre Festival, Deborah Raddall, Neil Maidman & Vic Mills
In this episode of the Offstage Cast, Deborah Raddall, Neil Maidman and Vic Mills discuss the upcoming, LITF Shortcuts Virtual Theatre Festival.
LITF Short Cuts is a new virtual theatre festival, presented by the Liverpool International Theatre Festival, open to amateur theatre troupes around the world to submit 5-10-minute original plays, recorded on video.
Plays will centre on the theme of FAMILY, to be interpreted as widely and creatively as possible.
Get your application form here
Virtual Festival Rules
- Entry to the competition is FREE OF CHARGE.
- Groups may enter as many plays as they wish.
- Writers and performers must be aged 16 or over on November 30, 2020.
- Plays must be of 5-10 minutes duration.
- This is not a ‘film’ competition – so filming must be basic, with limited editing – the aim being to make a simple film record of a short piece of new theatre.
- The work must be written and performed specifically for this competition.
- The play may be performed in any suitable space, outdoors or indoors. and should be performed in strict accordance with social distancing laws applying in the country where it is produced.
- All entries must be submitted to LITF by November 30th, 2020.
- Entrants must submit a public YouTube or web link to their recorded play.
- Play’s subject matter is to be based around the theme of ‘FAMILY’ – this should be interpreted freely and creatively.
- There may be as many or as few performers as you choose. It may be a one-actor performance if desired.
- The work may contain dialogue, movement, dance, music, as required.
- Entries will be judged by LITF artistic directors Neil Maidman and Vic Mills in December 2020.
- By entering, you grant LITF permission to show the plays or excerpts on social media, on their website, and at the 2021 Liverpool International Theatre Festival (see application form).
- There will be a number of entries designated as worthy of commendation and these will form a longlist. These will be screened on the LITF YouTube channel and through other social media, during January and February 2021. They will also be screened at LITF 2021, October 14-17, 2021.
- At the beginning of March 2021, a shortlist will be announced – this will take place on a livestream on social media. All shortlisted entries will receive an LITF certificate.
- The winners will be announced at LITF 2021. The best three entries will be recognized with cash prizes $500, $250 and $100 Canadian dollars.
- Dates of filming; play title, short summary, names of cast, writer, director, theatre company, and country should all be supplied together with the submission to LITF.
- Entries will be judged objectively according to the following criteria:
- Artistic merit of the script
- Artistic endeavour and impact
- All filming should be in landscape and in HD or above, if at all possible. The filming should be simple and done on one device with little editing.
Email the completed form to [email protected].