46. How to Free Your Mind & Take Control of Your Weight with Glenn Livingston Ph.D
November 04, 2021
Mordechai Wiener: Life-changing Conversations about Weight Loss and Self Love
In this episode, Glenn discusses the strategies of his book Never Binge Again and the history of its inspiration from Glenn’s time working with patients and consulting with large food companies.
- Glenn’s book Never Binge Again has over 12,000 reviews on Amazon
- Around the age of 17 is when Glenn realized that he had a problem with binging.
- Glenn noticed that while he was with patients he would often start to think about food during their session.
- Glenn was consulting for large food companies and as he saw them producing highly processed foods he began to question if his relationship with food was psychological at all.
- Processed food is designed to make us feel good without being satisfied.
- People like to think that advertising doesn’t affect them and that is what companies want you to believe.
- “Take the vitamins out of the bar and put it into the packaging” is a common tactic.
- Our instinct is to look for multiple colors in food, so they design the packages to trick us.
- Companies are very concerned with maximizing the bliss response.
- We live in an environment where everyone has agreed to slowly kill themselves with food.
- Glenn noticed that people binge on different types of food depending on what stress they have in their life.
- Make decisions about what you are going to eat before you are presented with choices so that you define the boundaries.
- You need an aggressive approach to take control and win against the billions of dollars that the food companies have working against you.
All past episodes of the podcast: