47. Heal Your Body with Food as Medicine and 5 Pillars of Health with Dr. Robert Graham
November 11, 2021
In this episode, Robert discusses how the food that we eat plays a critical role in our overall health and wellbeing. He talks about his “FRESH” system for creating and living a healthy and happy life.
“Food is Medicine is a movement, Food as Medicine is the intervention." -- Dr. Graham
- The beauty of integrative holistic or functional medicine is trying to get to the root cause of the problem and understand why it’s happening.
- “FRESH” stands for, food, relaxation, exercise, sleep, and happiness.
- Elimination diets are helpful to identify food sensitivities that could cause reactions.
- Most treatments start with medicine and not the therapeutic lifestyle analysis.
- Robert starts with food, then herbs and dietary supplements, and then medications if needed.
- Robert is board certified in integrative medicine.
- Our body has many microbiomes where good bacteria, bad bacteria, fungus, viruses, etc. all work together to achieve a balance.
- Our gut is the home to serotonin, the happiness hormone. About 90% of serotonin is made in the gut.
- You can have your microbiome tested.
- IBS is a common problem when your gut is not healthy.
- Robert is a chef and that influences how he treats his patients.
- Research has shown that our diet is the number one cause of death and disability in the United States.
- We are 3 generations into raising kids not knowing how to cook.
- During Covid, the average American gained 27 to 34 pounds.
- When it comes to food, you can eat meat but try to eat more plants.
- Try to have 10 minutes of relaxation a day. Science has shown that it takes 10 minutes to tap into the relaxation response.
- For exercise, move 30 minutes a day.
- Sleep 7 to 8 hours a night. People who sleep less than that die earlier.
- For happiness, surround yourself with people that bring positivity and health into your life.
- Healthcare needs to change and consider the effect of food on the health of patients.
All past episodes of the podcast: