49. Secrets to Overcoming Addiction to Food and Sugar with Dr. Vera Tarman
November 25, 2021
Mordechai Wiener: Life-changing Conversations about Weight Loss and Self Love
In this episode, Dr. Tarman discusses the treacherous nature of sugar addiction. She talks about her struggle with a sugar addiction and how working with addicts in her professional life helped her recognize that she had an addiction.
"What got you here won't get you there" - Marshall Goldsmith
- Since tackling her food addiction, Vera has lost and maintained a 100-pound weight loss.
- In her college years, Vera started restricting her intake of calories and all she could think about was food.
- She eventually stressed so much about the restriction that she stopped and began to eat too much.
- She then went through a series of binging and purging and ended up driving herself to an emergency room to seek help.
- It wasn’t until much later while working with drug addiction that she recognized that she had an addiction.
- She decided to treat herself in the same way that she treated addicts. She started by eliminating all junk food from her home and avoiding it at all costs.
- Within weeks she felt much better.
- You have to stop using whatever the addiction is before you can see the underlying reasons for the addiction.
- Sugar is an unnatural food product when removed from the food. It’s a drug just like any other drug.
- Parents should limit sugar to children.
- Change the mindset to sugar being a toxin just like tobacco or other drugs. Would you give those to your child?
Books and other resources can be found here: https://www.addictionsunplugged.com/
Food Junkie Book http://bit.ly/FoodJunkiesRecoveryfromFA
Facebook Group: www.fb.com/groups/SugarFreeForLife
All past episodes of the podcast: