Connection is soooo important in building healthy, close, and trusting relationships with our kids. If we've missed some opportunities or just want to do better, it's not too late to begin now. In this episode, I give you 5 ways that I've noticed have made a huge difference in connecting more deeply with my kids. Here they are:
1. If they reach out for connection, drop what you're doing and accept the offer. You won't regret it later, I promise.
2. Notice when they are "acting out" which most people would say is for attention. This may be that they are actually just wanting connection. Consider supporting instead of ignoring.
3. Do any activity side by side with them. Whether it's walking, riding bikes, or going for a drive, side by side is a proven strategy that helps us have more open and productive conversations with less confrontation or awkwardness, resulting in better connections.
4. Be vulnerable. This is the hardest one but the most important. When we are vulnerable with our kids they don't feel alone. It also gives them permission to be vulnerable too.
5. Take genuine interest in their interests or at least in their fascination with their interests. Ask questions with a willingness to accept that they have different interests and that's OK, and let them know that "no topics are off limits in this family."
If this episode helps you with connecting with your kids, can you do me a favor and rate and review or share this episode with others? It helps my podcast get out to more moms and I appreciate that!