The Higher Gear CIO
Series 2, Episode 3: Don't ever walk past a problem
June 15, 2021
- Don't ever walk past a problem
- It takes courage to trust someone that has failed themselves
- People are watching and waiting for you to inspire them
- Leadership is a heart thing more than a head thing
- Your character and values is what your team is looking at
- When you are a secure leader you can switch back and forth from task focused to people focused
- Love em and then Lead em
- If you can't love them then you shouldn't be leading them
- How do I get my heart all the way in?
- Acknowledge, Accept and Appreciate - all 3 will help you with the soft skills you need to lead
- 40% are born task/results focused
- 40% are born towards relationships/social and people
- 20% are born able to do both
- Be consciously aware that your character is the foundation - you have to take care of the mission while caring for your people
How do I reflect on myself as a leader?
- Do I move toward problems to understand them and work it out?
- Am I making my expectations clear?
- Is my goal for my team to be better than me and then celebrate that?
- Do I believe in my people?
- Is it difficult for me to connect with people and their hearts?
- Do I have enthusiasm and emphasis in my voice when I encourage my people?
- Do I say out loud that I appreciate things?
- Does my team know what I think? Am I predictable?
- Am I task focused or people focused? Can I switch back and forth quickly?
- Am I being intentional with my people?