OK, buckle up. We’re about to find out how being a music lawyer is like being a NASCAR driver. And we’ll learn how, in music law, “your adversaries are your friends and your friends can sometimes be your adversaries.”
Our guest in this episode is Kenny Steinthal. He’s a 40 year veteran music lawyer, specializing in music and media on both the litigation and deal making sides. His clients include household name companies like Google, Netflix, Pandora, Viacom, ESPN, Peloton, and many others.
Ken is a Senior Partner in the Intellectual Property Group at King and Spalding in San Francisco. He was the Managing Partner at Greenberg Traurig before that. And before that he was Co-Head of the IP and Media Practice Group at Weil Gotshal in New York. Among other national legal accolades he's received, Law 360 dubbed him a Media and Entertainment MVP, putting him in an elite class of five, and the National Law Journal named him an “IP Trailblazer.”
In this episode Ken gives us a crash course in music law, simplifying the complex, and educating us on public performance rights, music synchronization rights, distribution rights, and explaining everything from compulsory licensing to ASCAP and BMI. Kenny also tells us his secrets to success, what motivates him, and how he got into music law .
Without further ado, Ken Steinthal!
- Lawfirm Bio: https://www.kslaw.com/people/Kenneth-Steinthal
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/kenneth-steinthal-1840919
BRENTON HUND PODCAST
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/brentonhundpodcast
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/brentonhundpodcast/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLlcyy_X-wYW8MrQLt6JDkg/featured
- Email: email@example.com
SOCIAL MEDIA BY: The Social Sweetheart
- Website: https://www.socialsweetheart.co
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
LOGO DESIGN BY: Taylor Hembree
- Website: https://taylorhembree1993.wixsite.com/ohokmedia