SPEAKER_01: Hello, Pastor David Gehrin here, First Baptist Church of El Dorado, Europe. Joined us today in a series called A Good Soldier of Christ Jesus, which is a study in 2 Timothy chapter 2. Throughout this series, we're going to learn a lot about what it means to be a disciple of Jesus who makes disciples of Jesus. And so we're going to run this race as we walk through 2 Timothy 2, and I'm so thankful that you've chosen to join us today, and I hope you are encouraged from God's Word. Open up with me to the book of 2 Timothy, where for the next few weeks we'll be in chapter 2 as we look at a good soldier of Christ Jesus. We began it last week with uh verse 1 and 2 of 2 Timothy 2, and this week we read verses 3 through 7, which I'll read for us now. Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him. An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. It is the hardworking farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops. Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything. Let's pray together. Lord Jesus, thank you for your word. Thank you for how it teaches us, how it encourages us so often, Lord, how it convicts us in ways that we need. And so, Lord, convict us and train us and encourage us this morning so that we can be good soldiers of Christ Jesus. We ask this in Christ's name. Amen. Well, as we began this chapter last week, we saw Paul calling out to his disciple Timothy, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus. Again, we talked about the fact that young Timothy often needed this pep talk to be built up in the faith. Be strengthened, but not by your own power, in the grace that is in Christ Jesus, in his strength and his grace. And then in verse 2, we saw the Lord's plan, really not just Paul's plan, Jesus' plan for disciple making. What you've heard from me in the presence of many witnesses and trust to faithful men and women that will be qualified to teach others. We saw the four generations of discipleship going down. And uh if you're like me last week, you saw Jesus' method of discipleship. You saw the way that through just looking at the map, geography, and uh by just running the numbers on it, that Jesus' method really does work. That Jesus' method of discipleship really is the strongest method of not just getting the gospel out, but training up believers in the faith who have come to know that gospel. And so we're excited about what Paul will continue with in verse three. And then he says this share in sufferings as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. Now, to be honest, it kind of feels like in verse 3, Paul has just taken us off of a cliff. Because again, we're excited about discipleship. We've seen the method, we see that it works. So, Paul, what's next? What do you want us to do now? Share in suffering. Now that's not as exciting as those first two verses. Share in suffering. And yet, time and time again, language of suffering is language that is familiar to Paul in 2 Timothy 1 8, one chapter earlier. Don't be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me, his prisoner. But here's what he tells Timothy to do. But share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God. And then look in 2 Timothy chapter 3, verse 12. Here's a convicting verse. Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. All who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, will suffer for their faith. Obviously, in this world, there's suffering of all kinds, some far out of our control, some that are the product of living in a fallen world. But certainly for the believer, even more, there is suffering for living out your faith. Because you are a Christian, you will face some level of persecution, of suffering, of ridicule for your faith. It is to be expected. Now, just like we saw last week, this isn't just Paul's grand idea. He's taking notes from Jesus, who promises us the very same thing. Luke chapter 9, there's this kind of mountaintop moment where Jesus at Caesarea Philippi asks his disciples, who do others say that I am, and who do you say that I am? And uh Peter gives this unbelievable response. You are the Christ of God. That's what he says in Luke and other gospels, even a more robust response. You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God. And look, you are the Christ of God. And then in the very next passage, Jesus begins to tell Peter and the disciples what it means that I am the Christ, the Son of the Living God. And he says two things. Number one, that I am going to the place of suffering. I will die for the sake of my people. And number two is this he invites them to the mission. And what he says is this if anyone wants to follow me, here's what he must do. He should deny himself. First of all, deny himself. That is obviously contrary. That is opposite to what our culture believes in 2026 we should do. We deny ourselves, we take up our cross, we take up our own method of dying to ourselves, obviously, maybe not physically, but spiritually, and we die to ourselves daily, die to our own sin, our own pride. Deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow me. This is the life Jesus calls us to. This is the invitation that we have. And we'll see throughout the scripture. Obviously, much joy and life comes from that. But it is a call to follow Jesus even to the place of suffering. And so now Paul wants to give us three metaphors, three illustrations of what this looks like. And he wants to show us this through the idea of a soldier, an athlete, and a farmer. And so, number one, I just want to see the soldier's commitment. The soldier's commitment. Again, verse three, share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. And verse four, no soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him. We see time and time again that Paul is willing to use the language of warfare or a soldier. 1 Timothy 1.18 wage the good warfare. 2 Timothy 4.7, Paul says, I have fought the good fight. I've finished the race. I've kept the faith. Philemon 2, he calls Archipus a fellow soldier. Philippians 2.25. He calls Epaphrodites a fellow soldier. Ephesians chapter 6. Think of the armor of God that we put on as we prepare for spiritual warfare, as the devil wants to come against us and attack us, but we put on the armor of God. Paul uses over and over this language of spiritual warfare, this language of being a soldier of Christ Jesus. And I can't help but read it and think about the soldier's commitment. Whether this is in the first century or if this is in the modern day, as we read it now, the soldier is a committed individual. That is a man or a woman who has said that I am committing to a cause and I am willing to give my full commitment, even the ultimate commitment. I am willing to die for this cause for the sake of the greater good for which I am fighting. There's no greater commitment, worldly speaking, I would argue, than that of a soldier. I'm willing to give it all. I think about certainly on our nation's 250th birthday, I think about the commitment that exists for our soldiers who think about this, since 1776, just over 41 million men and women have served our country in the military. Over 41 million men and women. 16 million in World War II alone. But you think about the men and women who have served. And if you've been to Arlington National Cemetery, you've walked over the 640 acres that exist there, the 430,000 individual graves of fallen heroes that exist there. And you can't help but reflect on the commitment that it takes to serve your country in that way. The commitment of the soldier who was willing to give, truly, give the ultimate sacrifice. As I was thinking about a soldier's commitment this week, there's just something I wanted us to see, a brief video. It's a few minutes long, but I just thought it was worth it to visualize a soldier's commitment. So let's watch that together now.
SPEAKER_02: For me, it represents all soldiers past, present, and future, and it states that we will never forget their honor and everything that they did for this country.
SPEAKER_03: The same wool uniform is worn year-round, which soldiers maintain themselves. From pressing their uniforms to shining their shoes. Their routine is steeped in decades of tradition, but some things have changed over the years.
SPEAKER_00: We wore cotton gloves, usually two pairs of cotton gloves, that were wet so that we could hold on to the rifle. Today, they have these nice warm fur line ear protection with a fur line cap. They also have leather gloves that they use. And I would have kilt for that.
SPEAKER_03: During their 26-hour shift, the soldiers take turns walking the mat, changing guard every hour in the winter and every 30 minutes during the summer months. They stand guard in the worst of weather, from triple-digit heat to rain to snow.
SPEAKER_04: If the weather is extremely bad in Hollington National Cemetery closes, we're still out there doing the job the way we would normally. It just takes a little extra preparation to make sure that person can get out there.
SPEAKER_06: For me to go out there and sweat or get my uniform, you know, wet or what have you back in the day, that was that was really nothing compared to what babies are about on, and it has nothing to do with me.
SPEAKER_05: When you're out there, it no matter what the elements are, you perform at your best. The training helps that because you go through the motions of what to do over and over, and it's repetitive and it's precise every time.
SPEAKER_04: You know, those people on the plaza gave everything. So, you know, the least we can do is go out there and just stand for an hour.
SPEAKER_03: The Sentinel badge is the second least awarded badge in the military, and only a few hundred have ever earned it. But for those who have, it's an experience they will never forget.
SPEAKER_06: Out of all the millions of men in the world, you know, um, I had the opportunity to do this, and and not just me, but to be around a good group of people that they could create a bond with that that's gonna last for a lifetime.
SPEAKER_04: If this job doesn't make you proud to be an American, I don't know. I don't know what those are.
SPEAKER_01: And what you see is commitment. Uh rain, snow. Uh yeah, if you remember a few years ago, the the hurricane rains that were coming through, and those soldiers were just out there. They were just committed to what their commanding officer had commanded them and directed them to do. And it's incredible to think about just how much they do there and how they serve. I've I've been out there and stood and seen the changing of the guard and just watch them faithfully guard uh that sacred ground. And it's interesting when you go out there. It's not the kind of place you make a lot of noise or any noise. You're not asking for any soldier to take a selfie with you along the way. Uh you're not making it in any way about you or your visit to Arlington National Cemetery. What you are doing is showing up to honor those lives that have been lost and really honor uh the these individuals that guard this tomb with such commitment. And you think about this kind of commitment. What happens as we return to the text if these soldiers or any soldier begins to get, as Paul says, entangled in civilian affairs? What does that mean? Just distracted by the things of this world. You ask any soldier who serves what happens when you don't have uh a singular mindset upon the task ahead and you get distracted by anything and everything, what happens is suddenly you are in danger, and not just you, but the whole company of individuals with you is in great danger because you've lost sight of the ultimate goal. And not only not getting entangled in civilian pursuits, but the soldier's aim is to please the one who enlisted him. That this life and this job that you are serving in is not all about you. No, someone has placed you in this position. Now I want to ask this question how much do we think about the Lord being our enlisting officer? There's a lot of ways and right ways we think about the Lord. There is a closeness and intimacy there, of course. I think about Jesus in the upper room telling his disciples, no longer do I just call you servants, I call you friends, intimacy. I think of Jesus teaching us how to pray, and he begins like this our Father who art in heaven. There is an intimacy, a closeness there. And we celebrate that, we we embrace that, but also don't forget there is an element to our relationship with the Lord that don't forget, He is our commanding officer, He is the one who has enlisted us. What does that mean? He has the authority over our lives. And and and just as any of these soldiers you've seen, uh they wouldn't even dare go against the order of a commanding officer. How much more in our lives do we look to our Heavenly Father who calls us out and calls us to go and calls us to live in obedience to him? How much more should should we be committed to not being distracted by the world and to honoring the commanding officer who has enlisted us? Lord, wherever you lead, I'll go. Wherever you call me, I will serve. Your will for my life and for my family, Lord, that is what we desire. That's what it looks like to be a soldier of Christ Jesus, committed to the cause and unwilling to be distracted, and unwilling to disobey our commanding officer. But now we've seen the soldier's commitment. What I want to see now next is the athlete's discipline. Verse 5. An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. As Paul is thinking about the athlete of the first century, one com commentator uh spoke to the fact that in the first century, for many of these Olympic or Olympic type games to come and compete, you would have to provide proof that you have spent the ten months leading up to that event training for this event. We don't want to put anybody untrained in this event. You'd have to give proof that you are trained and ready for this. So part of competing according to the rules meant that you are disciplined to train for what's ahead. But also, we can think of any athletic competition and just think about the rules of the game that exist. Every four years, as I watch World Cup soccer, I gotta remind myself of the rules of the game. I gotta remind myself of what it means to be offsides. I've got to remind ourselves that there's there's a yellow card and a red card. And and uh the U.S. guy got a red card the other day, and he's out tomorrow, and I don't think it was worthy of a red card, but then again, I don't know any of the rules. And so I've got to remind myself of these things. Do we live according to the rules that God has called us to? Think about something for a second. This week uh it was announced that uh LeBron James, think about this, at 41 years old, he's not gonna play for the same team, but he's coming back for another season at 41, and he will turn 42 mid-season. How in the world is that possible? You put that into context. Think of one of our Arkansas kids, Darius Acuff, who was drafted last week into the NBA. When Darius Acuff was born, LeBron was three years into his NBA career. That's how long he's been doing this. How do you continue to compete at 41 years old at a level that there are 21 year olds in the league who could only dream to do what you do? How do you do that? I'll tell you one way. This was a few years ago, so the number is probably higher now, but LeBron spends$1.5 million a year just on his body. What that means is hiring a nutritionist, a chef, trainers. There was a uh a video in the off season that he was on a yacht in the Mediterranean, must be nice, but even the yacht was equipped with a full gym. Why? Because there are no days off. When you're trying to compete at 41 years old at a young man's game, 41 is young, by the way, there are no days off. And I just wonder if someone can do that for for, let's just call it what it is, a game. And it's a fun game, and I enjoy watching it. But if that's the commitment and discipline it takes to compete in a worldly game, how much more must we pursue discipline in our own Christian lives as we are doing things that make an eternal impact? And so, my simple question for us are we athletes, spiritually speaking, that compete according to the rules? Do we have this type of discipline? Are we disciplined to carry out the spiritual disciplines? That quite literally, when I feel like it and when I don't feel like it, I'll be a student of God's word and I'll come to God's word with consistency day in and day out. A student of prayer, committing to uh communicating with my Father in heaven. Again, when I feel like it, and the prayers are just almost oozing out of me, and when I don't feel like it, when I'm saying, God, I'm really distracted in this moment. God, are you really hearing these prayers? Am I disciplined? Am I disciplined to lead my family well and be tired for the sake of leading my family well? Am I disciplined to being a disciple of Jesus, letting others pour into me and being a disciple maker? Am I disciplined to flee sin and kill sin uh in my own life so that sin will no longer have this whole? Am I disciplined in these kinds of ways? That's what it means to compete according to the rules. This is what the Lord has called you to, this level of discipline. But not just calling you to the rules of the discipline behind it, but the rules of the game itself. Am I committed to carrying out God's will for my life in God's way? In such a way where at the end of the day, God gets the glory. Not carrying out. God's will in some kind of way where I end up on the pedestal or platform of my own life. And I share some of that glory with God. I'm convinced that the old statement by John the Baptist, he must increase, I must decrease. Remember that one? Sometimes we want to say it like this God, I want to increase so you can increase. God, if you'll just increase my influence and increase my ministry, I'll give you the glory. If you'll just increase the spotlight on me, I'll make sure people know the ultimate spotlights on you. No, no. He must increase, I must decrease. Those are the rules of the game. And so we've seen the soldiers' commitment. We've seen the athlete's discipline. And I want to see this, the farmer's work ethic. Look at verse 6. It is the hardworking farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops. Now, we stop there for a moment as we think about what Paul is telling us. I can't help but think we've fallen off one of those cliffs again. Why do I say that? Because the first illustration metaphor was of a soldier. We can get behind that, can't we? There's a lot of honor and excitement in the soldier. And then he goes straight from a soldier to an athlete. Even that, I've I've never been in earthly terms called an athlete, but it is exciting in spiritual terms. I can be one. So I've got the soldier and I've got the athlete, and that that that fires me up to do much for Jesus. Those are words, soldier and athlete, that makes me want to run through a wall and storm the gates of hell. And I hope you'll come do it with me. But then I get to number three and I see that it's the hardworking farmer that Paul runs to next. And and every piece of respect in the world for the farmers of this world. But but it's just not a glamorous position, is it? They don't get as much honor as the soldier, not as much uh glory as the athlete. Here's what's interesting. The hardworking farmer, first of all, what's interesting is the fact that there's that's all there is, the hardworking farmer. There's no such thing as a lazy farmer. That individual is unemployed. The hardworking farmer, here's what he or she does. They are up before you and I are up. They're still awake when you and I are going to sleep. They are working in the hot sun. You and I go over to Brookshires or Walmart and we put our groceries in our cart, having no idea what the people behind those groceries have gone through and how hard they've worked to get that, so I can just reach up on the rack and pull it and put into my cart. We don't have a clue that someone has worked so hard for this. And this is what Paul describes. It's the hard-working farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops. I want to tell you, there's so much within the Christian life that I'll just be honest with you, is really hard work. And that doesn't make the headlines, and by a worldly standard is not all that exciting. There's a lot of that. In fact, our Christian life is made up, I love how Eugene Peterson says it, a long obedience in the same direction. A long obedience in the same direction. What is Christian life? What is sanctification? It's just obeying Jesus day after day after day and honoring him and becoming more like him every day. And it's not a quick process, and at times it is not an easy process. Sanctification can be very difficult, and yet, this is what we're called to. The soldier, that's us. The athlete, that's us. But don't forget, we're called to be the hardworking farmer. Now, here's what I love. Paul reminds us that it is worth it. The hardworking farmer ought to have the first share of the crops. That the farmer ought to share in the reward. Now, what Paul is not giving us is some kind of prosperity theology where, you know, if you work hard for Jesus, you're going to get exactly what you want and rewarded here on this earth with health and wealth and everything in between. He's not saying that. What he is saying is that the hardworking farmer, the one who is following after Jesus as a disciple of Jesus and working hard for the kingdom of God, uh, he or she will rejoice in the fruit that comes from that. And I hope you've gotten to experience that in your own life. I hope, as you have worked hard, that you've got to experience what it looks like when you just get a little Holy Spirit visual of the fruit that God is doing in your life. That maybe uh you've poured into someone and you've shared the gospel with someone and you've seen them make a decision for Jesus. Maybe you've spent years discipling. How much have we seen this lately down here on this front row? We've seen parents who have discipled their children in the home and they got to rejoice in the fruit as that boy or that girl walk down this aisle and tell the church that they've come to know the Lord. They get to see the fruit that is before them. And we see it in part on this earth. I promise you, in the kingdom come, on the other side of eternity, you will see very well the fruit of what has uh happened and the way you have worked in your life. Not so that you can get the glory, but so that we can lay our crowns before the feet of Jesus and give Him the glory. But but we will see, eternity only knows the impact that has been made by the soldier, the athlete, the hardworking farmer. But but here's just what I want us to realize, and as we're closing in just a moment, I just want us to see this. Because I don't want to give any sort of false advertisement. I don't want you to believe Christianity is something that is not. And so just to remind us exactly uh like it is, just to call it like we see it, from Paul, from Jesus, from this entire book we call Scripture, I want us to see something, and it's simply this the Christian life is hard. Do you know that? I don't want to overstate it and make you think it's just it's it's a miserable type of heart. It's not that at all. But there are hard days. There are really difficult days. There are days when when you just have to look up to the Lord and say, I don't know what you're doing in this situation. Lord, you've called me to love this person. This person could doesn't feel like they could even dream of loving me back. You've called me to serve this person. And and you know, I don't know what's really happening here because I'm not seeing a lot of movement here, Lord. You you've called me to pray for this prodigal child, but Lord, time and time again, this prodigal child acts as if they want nothing to do with the father's home. Lord, I don't know what there are hard days in the Christian life. Do you know that? But I also just want to ask you this question. The things that mean the most to you in this life have they come really easy? Maybe we could think of some examples of some things that mean something and were somewhat easy, but think about the deep things of life when your children graduated high school and you sent them out into the world to pursue college degree, career, whatever whatever it might be, and you've you've launched them into the world. Did you and your spouse look at each other in that moment and say, you know what? Those last 18 years, those are pretty simple, weren't they? Those were pretty straightforward, no surprises, no difficult days. I I'm convinced that that so many of the things that matter deeply in in our lives, they're not easy, but they are worth it. They're not easy, but they are worth it. And that's what Paul wants us to see here. So much of the Christian life is not easy. Take up your cross and follow me. You are a soldier, you are an athlete who is disciplined, you are a farmer who is working hard for the kingdom of God. There are days that it is not easy, but it is worth it. But it is worth it. Because you've seen in this life those moments of absolute you look up to the Lord and say, God, what a gift. You've seen the peace that surpasses all understanding. In times when you probably should have just thrown in the towel, worldly speaking, and yet you were filled with the peace that surpasses understanding. You've seen times of joy when the whole world has said it's time for sorrow. You've seen moments where God has done only what he could do, and you have said in that moment, God, the road has been difficult, yet I wouldn't trade it for the world. Not for the world. Because God, you have proven yourself faithful. And I wish I could just give you a sneak peek. I I could, uh we could turn to Revelation and get a sneak peek, but I wish I could just open your eyes to see on the other side of eternity just how worth it it will be. When all the suffering of this life that you walk through, uh it's there, it's real, it's very present, and yet one day the the Lord will wipe every tear away, and he will make all things new. And you will say, every every suffering, every tear, every pain, it was all worth it. And God, in your sovereignty, because Lord, you are worth it. Share in suffering. Be the soldier, committed, be the athlete, disciplined, be the the the farmer with the the work ethic that receives the first share of the crop. And let me just ask you this why why work hard? Why live this kind of Christian life? Why quote unquote sign up for something that that is a very difficult, difficult thing? It's because of this. It's because I just believe it's true. There there is a lost world out there that just needs some hard workers to come and let them know that there is a better way. There is just a lost world out there that needs the joy and the hope that you possess. There is a world that doesn't know that Jesus died for them, that doesn't know that Jesus rose from the grave, that he can forgive sins, that he can offer eternal life, and they need this kind of truth. And they need some soldiers and some athletes and some farmers who will just do the work of ministry and let them know that there is a better way to live and there is joy that is out there and available. This is what we're called to. Is it hard? Absolutely. Will there be tears along the way? There already have been, I'm sure, in your life, and there will be more. Are there days when you're wondering, Lord, what are you up to? What's your will? What's your plan? You will have those days. I want to ask one more question. Is it worth it? Have you seen God's faithfulness in your life? Have you seen God do what only you can do? Have you seen it in the here and now? Do you believe you'll see it for all eternity? I believe that's the case. I believe we can be a church that plays the part of the soldier, the athlete, the farmer. I believe you can be an individual who lives this out truly in your life. I believe El Doredo, I believe this state, this country, the world needs you to be the athlete, the soldier, the farmer that God has called you to be. Let's pray together. Lord Jesus, thank you for the hope of the gospel. Lord, we proclaim there's a world that needs your gospel, that needs that hope. And so, Lord, would we be a people committed to do the hard work? That even on the hard days, the tired days, even with blood, sweat, and tears, Lord, we'd be willing to faithfully serve you and follow you. Lord, because we know that a walk with you comes with a joy that the world cannot fathom, the world can't understand. But Lord, a walk with you, life with you, it holds with it a promise that only eternity can fully understand. What a gift that is, Lord. Lord, if there's one in the room that doesn't know you and for the first time wants to enter into a relationship with you through the forgiveness of sins and the trust in you as their Lord, I pray that they do so today. Maybe they want to join this church, be part of this family. Lord, they want to be a soldier, an athlete, a farmer, and they want to do it here with us. Lord, if there's a young child, there's an adult that wants to talk about baptism. Someone that just needs prayer, would they respond now in these moments as we worship together in Christ's name? Amen. Would you stand now? I'll be down front. If you'd like to come in any kind of response, I'll be down front.