New Orleans is famous for its singular culture and music. So what do shanties look like there? Alex McMurray from The Valparaiso Men's Chorus talks to us about his journey with shanties that has taken him from New York to Tokyo DisneySea to New Orleans, the impact of Katrina and the pandemic on the music scene there, and of course the Chorus' unique, second line-infused take on shanties.
⚓︎ Shanties featured:
- Opening credits: Paddy Doyle's Boots, trad. arranged by Pressgang Mutiny
- Live song: A Long Time Ago, trad. arranged by Alex McMurray
- Live song: Haul Away Joe, trad. arranged by Alex McMurray
- Closing credits: Randy-Dandy-O!, trad. arranged by Pressgang Mutiny
⚓︎ Find out more about Alex McMurray at alexmcmurray.com
⚓︎ Find out more about The Valparaiso Men's Chorus at valparaisomenschorus.com
⚓︎ Find out more about Pressgang Mutiny here:
- TikTok, Twitter, and Instagram: @pressgangmutiny
Thanks to Jon for his Tall Ship submission!
Send us your comments and feedback. If you have a Tall Ship you'd like to see featured, get in touch!