IP Talk with Wolf Greenfield
Intellectual Property Advice for Startups
June 29, 2021
In this episode of IP Talk with Wolf Greenfield, Neil Ferraro and Paul Metaxatos offer guidance for protecting an organization’s products and designs.
Neil chairs Wolf Greenfield’s Mechanical Technologies Group. He works with clients in all areas of intellectual property and represents organizations ranging from startups to large corporations in a wide-range of technologies. Neil joined the firm after serving as an intellectual property attorney with the Ford Motor Company.
Paul is co-founder and principal of Motiv, a Boston-based consultancy that designs products and develops brands for companies of all sizes. Paul is recognized within the retail consumer industry as one of the leading authorities in brand-focused product development, having been associated with many iconic brands, including Keurig, Culligan, and Vitamix.
- 01:11 - The first steps a startup should do with a new design
- 02:58 - Paul’s advice to put a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) in place
- 05:22 - What is the story behind the invention?
- 06:44 - Developing effective protection strategies
- 09:42 - The importance of doing consumer research
- 12:05 - The role of design patents
- 14:35 - Utility patents are also a powerful option
- 17:22 - From concept to off-tool, it’s often a long, difficult experience to create a beautiful product
- 18:54 - Startups must be open-minded
- 20:15 - Pick the right partners for the entrepreneurial journey