I’m in Berlin right now going through the Climate Reality Leadership Corp Training, so I didn’t have time to do a full episode. Instead, I decided to try a new segment I think will be cool and helpful:
SAM Quick Tips
These are quick and easy ways to incorporate self-awareness into your daily life to improve the overall quality of your wellbeing.
This week, I want to talk about check-ins. Check-ins are just like they sound: you checking in with yourself to see how you’re doing. They’re a simple way to learn about yourself and course correct during the day if you need to.
Though there are many ways to check-in, here’s how I do it:
- Press my left hand over my heart and my right hand over my gut (the space below my belly button, also known as your sacral chakra)
- Take three deep breathes in my nose and out my mouth
- Focus on the air filling my lungs. I often picture light entering through my head or chest, then filtering out of my mouth as I exhale
- Once I feel relatively calm and centered, I ask myself (aloud or in my head depending on where I am), "How are you, baby girl?" I like using a pet name to keep it soft and loving, just like I would for my partner
- I observe whatever pops up. Sometimes, it’s a physical sensation, like a quickening of my heartbeat or a tingling of my scalp. Other times, I get a clear thought, like “Fucking horrible."
- Try not to follow the thoughts and feelings. Take note and let yourself answer. If you find yourself going down a rabbit hole, take a couple more deep breaths and bring yourself back
Once you feel complete with the answer, “How are you?” You’re done. You did your check-in!