SPEAKER_03: Welcome to Connect where we go beyond Sunday. This is a program where we interact with you, interact with the Word of God, connecting the Word of God to real life issues. In the last episode of Connect, we started a conversation on identity.
SPEAKER_02: Yes.
SPEAKER_03: And we have received quite a bit of feedback on this topic.
SPEAKER_02: Yes.
SPEAKER_03: One of the areas we really delved on is the issue of tags. Identity that is defined by tags.
SPEAKER_00: Things that are outside you.
SPEAKER_03: Things that are external. And uh a number of people are giving us feedback on that. That they have had their lives defined by various tags. I am the mother of, I work for. I have this or that. I schooled.
SPEAKER_00: I went to a line. Yes.
SPEAKER_03: Yeah, and for us who went to Jammu, that becomes part of our identity. And and and we looked at that, the importance then of identity.
SPEAKER_02: Yes.
SPEAKER_03: And why it is important to have clarity as far as identity is concerned. And today we are focusing, we are zooming on uh reclaiming our true identity.
SPEAKER_02: Yes.
SPEAKER_03: Reclaiming our true identity. Looking at how then can we build a true identity? I don't know what was your take from the last um episode, and now connecting it with what we are talking about.
SPEAKER_00: Yeah, I see. I think for us, especially for us who are Christians, I think the general tag, I think last time we talked about the word of God, and you said, I think you remember reading Genesis and saying we are all made in the image and likeness of God. That is a true statement for any human being. Maybe it was plants, they would say we've been made, our we've been made green in such a way that we can produce, we can photosynthesize. But the question for people in people's minds is then, how do I figure out really what is my role? Because we all know the whole role of human is dominion. But how then do I really narrow down to my what is my role? What is my uniqueness there? Yeah.
SPEAKER_03: Yeah, and I think that that is important because, you know, that is an offshoot of our identity. Getting the big picture of what God wants me to do, why God has created me, then helps me to locate myself. You know, that big picture that we mentioned in Genesis, where we say in Genesis 1, uh verse 26, that God created them in his image, in his likeness. Then that gives us uh the reference point so that we are able to locate ourselves in the image of God, in the likeness of God. And what that means then is that everything that God has endowed me with, there are gifts, there are talents, there is the free will, God has given us creativity. All these things, then, we have to bring them to this center that they are meant to be serving that purpose. So if I'm running, my gifting, my talent is athletics, then I need to remember not to lose the identity of my likeness, my being in the image of God. And then we also talked about uh purpose that God created them for dominion. And and just to uh also demystify this dominion, dominion is not simply rulership where you are exercising authority and exercising power, it is actually caring, it is tending, stewardship, it is stewardship, it is partnering with God so that his purposes on earth are being fulfilled in every aspect, including over everything that God created. So, for example, when when we are not being good stewards of the environment, by exercising our authority to destroy the power we have to destroy the environment, then we are not exercising dominion. We are being poor stewards of what God has called us to be in terms of being uh partners with Him. And so the importance of that identity, that big picture, is that it gives us the center from which then we can locate ourselves now as individuals, with the uniqueness that God has put in you, God has put in me, God has put in our viewers, then they are able to locate themselves at the place of serving God and serving that purpose.
SPEAKER_00: So actually, what we are saying is that for sure, everybody has a purpose. It's in the design.
SPEAKER_02: Yes.
SPEAKER_00: Sometimes, as we said, I think last time it gets lost. Maybe along the way, maybe how we were brought up, maybe a bit of life challenges here and there, we lose it. So the question is not that we are, so it is going to find. It is already there. Maybe it's just covered under things. And they said some of the issues that can really make us not know who we are is how maybe some things like fear. Some people just, there's so much fear around that uh you forget even who you are. So the the whole essence of finding your identity is going beyond under, it's going under to unlock or uncover your true identity because for sure it is there.
SPEAKER_03: And of course, we we also say that we are living in a world that is full of noises. Yes. There is a lot of noise in the world, and there are so many opinions. And everybody is trying to uh, everybody, everything is trying to tell you this is who you are, or do this, or do this, or do the other. But um there is need, and and and that's why we are looking at why is it then important that you understand who you are? Why is it important that you have to go into that quietness to have a moment of an introspection and say who really am I? And and and why is it important that you are able to answer that question?
SPEAKER_00: Because there are so many things. I think uh because if you don't know then who you are, I think as you say, the first one is a question of purpose, then how do you figure out what you need to do, really? And I think it still goes back even to what we talked about goals, because if you're not sure who you are, how then do you figure out which are what is this that you need to work with? So the question of uh identity goes back to purpose and what you need to do.
SPEAKER_03: And and somebody said that uh there are two very important uh either seasons or times in the life of an individual and says one is when you are born, and then secondly, when you discover or why you know why the why. And the why is what you're talking about in terms of purpose, and and so then identity, as we said, will bring out a true identity will bring out that purpose, a true identity then will help you to connect to that purpose when there is no confusion on what God created you for. Because God created you for a purpose, that's for sure. God cre it doesn't matter the circumstances, it doesn't matter, nobody is where they are just by accident. Nobody is born as a as a by the way. God creates us and we are born to achieve something that is very unique. And then now what he does, he endows us with uh very specific uh talents and gifts and abilities, even circumstances, and even circumstances, yes, and even creates opportunities for us so that as we exercise all this together, then we find purpose in what we are doing.
SPEAKER_00: That is people's opinion. And imagine people's opinion, everybody has their valid opinion, and I think as you talk about identity, you have to know that how people think is unique to them, then it will be very hard for you to use people's thinking who they are thinking their own way to give you direction on how you are purpose, with a mission, which was even time-bound and it remained focused.
SPEAKER_03: So we are saying your identity will help you to also remain focused and true to your purpose, and it frees you, it frees you, it frees you to walk in without really seeking validation. And I'm not saying validation is not necessary, it is, it is important, but you don't become a slave.
SPEAKER_00: Yeah, the feedback validation, I think it's important when it's feedback, when it is feedback to give you room for improvement. But when you have to depend on people, there are their cheers and to take. So if you come in with something called neediness syndrome, where you are depending on others, you can imagine it feels it's it is heavy, and nobody has that capability. And we said everybody has also their own race, so nobody really has those abilities to to support you like that every day. So it's up to you to uncover, build identity, then now you can it you will free everybody around you.
SPEAKER_03: And I think now we can move it to responding to a question that uh that comes up time and again. How then do I really understand? How can I are there some steps, practical steps that I can follow to help me unpack who this person really is? Uh, what can I do to be able to get to that point?
SPEAKER_00: Yeah, I think I think we've already mentioned, I think two things for me comes out from one, we said you can ask for feedback from people. We said, I think we said, yeah, but feedback, not validation. Not validation. Yes. Ask people what do they like about you? What do they depend on you for? Because there are some obvious things, and you know the problem with uh why sometimes it's hard to work for us to understand ourselves and understand our identity, who really our true self is, because it's something so close to you. I think it's just like a nose. You know, you have a nose, but you cannot see it. Yes, because it's so, so close. So sometimes we take for granted the things that we we we are good at, the things that we can do so well and assume it is normal. In fact, what we normally assume is that because I do it well, everybody does it well. And sometimes you've heard this statement saying there are some people maybe who are very who love flowers, and their question is who doesn't love flowers?
SPEAKER_03: Oh, yes.
SPEAKER_00: Do you know there are people who don't love flowers? So when you love flowers, it's an indication of maybe an interest you have. There are some people who love cats. For me, sorry, I am not a very good cat lover. So there are some people who wonder why why can't people love cats? Because the love for cats is for you. It's not maybe for me. There are people who are called tree huggers, they love trees so much that they cannot even cut a tree. But there are some people who look at a tree and they see money. So your interests, the things that you love, I said they are so close to you, like your notes that sometimes you take for granted. So it is important sometimes to ask the people close to you, what do you think I do best? And your family, actually, the people who are very close to you, your siblings, your parents know very well what you are good at. I can give an example of a sister of mine. A sister of mine really loves to organ, she's a good organizer. You see, those people when you go to a function, you are all guests. Suddenly you see her serving sodas, and you're like, why did you turn from a guest because to her to serving sodas? She sees when she sees trouble, she wants to help. For her, it looks so normal. In fact, she'll come asking, why weren't you guys seeing that the other guests were missing sodas? For us, we didn't see maybe because it is not our thing. So sometimes getting feedback from people, you'll be surprised that the feedback they can give you about you. So ask around people who really you trust.
SPEAKER_03: So so there is, I can see there is a lot that is from within.
SPEAKER_02: Yes.
SPEAKER_03: It's already, it's it's not something that you are going to look out for. No, no, it is already within you, and in your natural setting, it tends to come out. It tends to come out, it's it tends to show itself uh very well. Yes. Uh, and and there are people who are able to see and spot.
SPEAKER_02: Very well.
SPEAKER_03: And I agree with you there. There are people you go somewhere with, and in no time, there are so many things they are already seeing that need to be fixed. That even when you look at them, you probably don't see that they actually need uh need fixing. And and and so there is a lot of looking within. And what we are looking for is feedback and not validation. Yes, and that when people give you feedback, then you can try to now think through. Yes, it becomes an eye-opener. Oh, so when I am doing this, it's something unique to me. It is something that is unique to me that may not be uh on any other person. Uh, what else can we uncover?
SPEAKER_00: I think the things we can uncover to help us apart from asking name uh your your family, then you can also look just now, personal intro, what introspection, yes. Look within me, and I think something as as a as a career coach, I think one of the things we usually tell people when they are thinking of what was the right career for me, because sometimes even this question of purpose really affects career. What you do with your life, because career is almost what you do every day. Once you're really able to get your true, you understand yourself well, you can be able to choose a career well. And sometimes one of the ways we tell people to do is think of the time you are in high school. What did you want to be? Because at that point, when you are in high school, you're more your life has not happened so much. You're still clear, the purpose is still clear, you're still connected back to where you came from, from God. But you know, by the time your adults and things have happened, we get mixed up. So, uh, when when you are 15 years, what did you want to be? If you look, ask yourself those questions. What did you like to do? There's some people who just loved, maybe we said flowers. What does flowers mean to you? If you ask yourself more questions, dig deeper there. What does it what does it what do flowers do? Maybe flowers just makes you feel happy. Caring for nature. Maybe you you call to to to be uh uh what we call an environmentalist. So those things, so look, look, we said look within and look at small indicators. So some of the things that I think here we have uh an acronym because there are many things, but today we can just tie it to five things. So one of the things is think about the things that give you a lot of energy and enthusiasm that word yes enthusiasm, enthusiasm. What are some of those things that you really, really like? Because it points out to really who you are. The other one is what are you passionate about? I think I've said that the passion.
SPEAKER_03: The passion.
SPEAKER_00: Passion. What are you passionate about? What do you love to do? And what are some of these things you can do without being paid? And actually, those things that maybe you can do without being paid are the things you should actually do to be paid, and it will give you more fulfillment. Yes. So, what are some of these things? They look simple. Things like organizing skills. And you know, even sometimes in these jobs, some people are maybe you see I'm an accountant, but some success point for some people in accountants is a skill like negotiation. So you need to look, and sometimes, actually, all of us have talent, and we struggle so much to even find even money to find jobs, but maybe we are just letting go what really we should be doing. So look within. So we said think of passion, think of energy, think of passion, think of the things you you'd like to do and you like to keep on improving. There are some people who like to cook and they keep on improving. They keep on reading all their houses full of cookbooks. They can do more and more. So, what are some of the things that you like to do and you want to be better? It points out to really who you are. And the last one, of course, is the skills. What are some of the skills you have?
SPEAKER_03: And going by this um, you know, energy, passion, improvement, superior skills. I have a feeling that we have so many careers out there that are yet to be discovered. A lot, in fact, I because we have all wanted to box ourselves to what is already predetermined. So you are given a set of choices. And it's like the world is saying, you can only be either this or this or this or that. Yet, truly, if you took time to look within, you realize you are actually not any of this. You are something unique that the world actually needs, and the world is so much uh yearning for. You know, the psalmist says in Psalm uh 139, it's a very familiar passage that many people may, it may be familiar to uh many people. He says that David says that I will praise you in Psalm 139, verse 14, I will praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Marvelous are your works. And then this is what captures me most. He says, and that my soul knows very well. He he is convinced beyond reasonable doubt that he is fearfully and wonderfully made. And I can see how much energy this releases in David to become all that God has created him to be. And so when we uh reclaim our true identity, what does this lead us to do? I think the first thing, especially for us as believers, is that it will lead us to worship, it will lead us to reverence God. And this is what uh David is saying wonderfully made. And then he says, I will praise the Lord because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. That anytime he looks at himself, he has reverence for God. But secondly, I think it will lead us to appreciate ourselves, you appreciate your uniqueness, and then it frees you from comparison because you are able to appreciate yourself as a unique person. But thirdly, I think it leads us to our potential, and we've talked about it. You unleash your potential, you unleash who you are, you live out fully what you are and what God has created you to be. And so, uh, to our viewers, identity is very important with identity. The sky is not even the limit. Once your identity is clear on what it is that who you are and who God has created you to be, you are able to go and break every limit that you know you may have thought of or imagined. That is all we had time for today. Uh, we are glad that you could connect with us. Remember, uh, we continue this conversation either through the comment section or using this email address that is provided for you here. Let us receive your feedback. Give us your uh send us your questions, and in uh subsequent episodes of this program, we will be answering your live questions as you have sent them to us. This has been Connect. God bless you.