CMAJ Podcasts

Button battery ingestion in children

September 27, 2021 Canadian Medical Association Journal
CMAJ Podcasts
Button battery ingestion in children
Show Notes
Button batteries, sometimes called coin batteries, are small round batteries that power various electronic devices such as watches, remote controls or small kid toys. They are small and shiny, which is why young children will sometimes grab them and put them in their mouths. But they can cause severe injury in a child if the button battery becomes lodged in the digestive tract. In this episode, Dr. Savithiri Ratnapalan talks about the dangers of swallowing button batteries, what parents can do immediately at home, and how button battery ingestion is managed in hospital.Dr. Savithiri Ratnapalan is a pediatric emergency physician at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto.She co-authored a practice article with Dr. Amy Zipursky. It is published in CMAJ: https://www.cmaj.ca/lookup/doi/10.1503/cmaj.210572Podcast transcript: https://www.cmaj.ca/transcript-210572-----------------------------------This podcast episode is brought to you by Scotiabank Healthcare+. Learn more at: https://mdm.ca/promos/you-ve-come-a-long-way?utm_source=CMAJ&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=CTP&utm_content=PHD-----------------------------------This podcast episode is brought to you by Dr. Bill. Dr. Bill makes billing on the go easy and pain free. Start your 45-day free trial today: www.drbill.app/cmaj-----------------------------------This podcast episode is brought to you by Shingrix. Learn more at:https://www.shingrix.ca/en-ca/index.html-----------------------------------Subscribe to CMAJ Podcasts on Apple Podcasts or your favourite podcast app. You can also follow us directly on our SoundCloud page or you can visit www.cmaj.ca/page/multimedia/podcasts.