Marcus Today Pre-Market Podcast – Friday 17th March
March 17, 2023
Dow Jones up 372 points (+1.17%). Dow up 407 at best and down 303 at worst. S&P 500 up 1.76%. NASDAQ up 2.48%. VIX Volatility Index down 12.1%. In Europe, STOXX 50 +2% FTSE +0.9% CAC +2% DAX +1.6%. SPI Futures are up 27 points (+0.39%).
- ASX to rise, Wall Street rallies on First Republic boost.
- Wall Street closes higher as First Republic helps lift banks.
- Global shares gain as banking sector lifelines bolster confidence.
- U.S. labor market remains tight; housing market stabilizing.
- Microsoft unveils AI office Copilot in fast-moving race with Google.
- Major US banks inject $30 bln to rescue First Republic Bank.
- Credit Suisse says key liquidity measure did not change the week SVB fell.
- Rio Tinto appoints directors with mining, renewable energy experience.
- Exxon starts up new Beaumont, Texas, crude unit.
- ECB cuts through bank turmoil to keep rate hike pledge.
- Copper regains some ground after banking fears sparked sell-off.
- Gold prices hold firm as banking worries persist.
- Oil snaps declining streak as Saudi, Russia meeting calms markets.
- Anger as French government pushes through pension change without vote.
Get up to speed with Henry Jennings’ Pre-Market Podcast.
Why not sign up for a free trial? Get access to expert insights and research and become a better investor.