Marcus Today Pre-Market Podcast – Tuesday 21st March
March 21, 2023
Global equity markets rallied overnight after the historic deal from UBS to rescue Credit Suisse and central banks’ efforts to boost confidence in the financial system containing the banking crisis for now. Bond yields rose as markets weigh the chances of the Fed skipping a rate hike and the USD Index retracted. Dow Jones up 383 points (+1.20%). Dow up 418 at best. S&P 500 up 0.89%. NASDAQ up +0.39%. VIX Volatility Index down 5.3%. In Europe, STOXX 50 +1.3% FTSE +0.9% CAC +1.3% DAX +1.1%. SPI Futures are down 45 points (+0.65%).
- ASX to rally, Dow leads Wall Street higher.
- Wall St ends higher as bank contagion fears ease, Fed eyed.
- Scramble for safety subsides as markets digest Credit Suisse rescue.
- European stocks close higher after turbulent session.
- Market stress indicators flash warnings as banking worries continue.
- Credit Suisse rescue eases crisis fears, First Republic shares dive.
- Goldman Sachs sees risk of 'permanent destruction' in demand for AT1 bonds.
- Amazon deepens tech-sector gloom with another 9,000 layoffs.
- Nike sales to gain from Adidas-Kanye split, Jordan Retro demand.
- Copper prices rise on weaker dollar, signs of China's improving demand.
- Gold drops from 1-year peak as banking fragility drives wild swings.
- Putin flaunts alliance with Xi as 'dear friends' meet in Kremlin.
Catch up on all the latest with Henry Jennings on today’s Pre-Market Podcast.
Why not sign up for a free trial? Get access to expert insights and research and become a better investor.