Marcus Today Pre-Market Podcast – Friday 31st March
March 31, 2023
Global equities higher overnight. US markets rose as tech stocks continued their strong run, while regional banks were under pressure again as the Biden Administration proposed stronger measures to reduce risk and Fed officials reiterated their resolve to lower inflation. S&P 500 up seven of the last nine session, back above the 4000 level and above levels seen just before the start of the banking sector turmoil. Nasdaq is now a bull market for the first time in nearly three years. US treasuries mixed, 10Y yields fell ahead of PCE data. European equity markets are broadly higher, taking encouragement from softer-than-expected inflation data from Germany and Spain.Dow Jones up 141 points (+0.43%). Dow up 188 at best, down 35 at worst. S&P 500 up 0.57%. NASDAQ up 0.73%. VIX Volatility Index down 0.5%. In Europe, STOXX 50 +1.3% FTSE +0.7% CAC +1.1% DAX +1.3%. SPI Futures are up 38 points (+0.53%).
- ASX to rise, S&P 500 gets further tech sector boost.
- Wall St gains with tech shares; regional banks fall.
- Stocks rise and dollar falls while oil rallies.
- Yellen says US bank rules may be too loose, need to be re-examined.
- After extraordinary rally, bonds' fate now with bank stability and inflation.
- Global derivatives industry defends CDS after banking blow-ups.
- Fed officials keep rate hike door open, say bank stress may weigh on outlook.
- US court sanctions Google in privacy case, company's second legal setback in days.
- FTX's Bankman-Fried pleads not guilty to campaign finance, China bribery charges.
- Oil rises over 1% on Iraqi supply risks, U.S. crude draw.
- Gold jumps on weaker dollar, with eyes on inflation data.
- Nickel slides on LME proposals, copper steadies on Chinese demand.
- Russia arrests US reporter on spy charges, White House says allegations 'ridiculous'.
- Efforts to build 'floor' under US-China relations not yet successful.
- French pension standoff causing cracks in Macron's camp, insiders say.
Catch up on all the latest with Henry Jennings on today’s Pre-Market Podcast.
Why not sign up for a free trial? Get access to expert insights and research and become a better investor.