- The ASX 200 see sawed from loss to gain today after two solid days. The index finished down 21 to 7384 (0.3%) in a late sell off with banks holding firm. The Big Bank Basket rose to $175.48 flat on the day CBA up 0.2% and NAB up 0.2% the stars. Another heartbreaking day for Hamish as MFG dropped again by another 4.9% to a two -year low. Insurers mixed with a mixed platter in industrials, WES down 1.0%, DMP down 3.0%, TCL off 2.0% and BXB rising 1.5%. Tech was mixed, APT up 0.5% and XRO down 3.2%. The All-Tech Index down 0.6%. Miners were mixed, BHP lost 1.2% but FMG gained 1.5%. IGO had a good day up 1.7% and LYC fell 0.3% despite Macquarie research initiation. Energy stocks eased back.
- In corporate news, SYD takeover received ACCC approval as did SWM/PRT. OZL rallied 0.6% after offloading some JV stakes. ACCC greenlights CWY deal to buy Suez. In economic news, payroll jobs growth slowed to 0.2%. 10-year yields firmed to 1.67%
· Winners: VUL, IMU, IHL, NVX, AD8, RED, TLX, AGL.
· Losers: RBL, CCX, SZL, BTH, TPW, MFG, Z1P.
· Positive sectors: Healthcare.
· Negative sectors: Miners. Tech. Energy.
· Hi 7418 Lo 7378. Narrow range.
· Big Bank Basket: Up to $175.48 unchanged
· All-Tech index: Down 0.6%
· Gold: Weaker at $2488.
· Bitcoin: Slips to US$49848
· Aussie Dollar: Higher at 71.66c 10-YEAR YIELD: Firms to 1.67%.
· Asian Markets: Japan down 0.3% Hong Kong up 1% and China up 2.1%.
· US Futures: Dow futures down 63 NASDAQ futures down 30.
Sign up for a free trial to get full access to expert insights and independent stock market research.