Live Lounge Podcast Series by BritCham Shanghai
Covid-19: The road to recovery for SME in China
Mar 18, 2020
Marketing Focus Group Chair: Kirsten Johnston
This podcast explores the “what now” and “what next” for small businesses in China as the Covid-19 virus becomes contained. We feature three SME businesses that have been heavily impacted by the outbreak (two in hospitality and one in events management) and discuss their current challenges and future strategies for the short-term. We also talk to two financial and legal experts about practical tips.
This podcast covers topics such as:
- financial and operational impacts of the Covid-19 virus on SME
- survival tactics and opportunities arising from the crisis
- the new trends that have emerged which may become the ‘new normal’
- how to manage cash right away
- contractual concerns and force majeure claims
- restaurant businesses have thin margins and limited cash. They often cannot last more than 2-3 months
- customer confidence is returning slowly to hotels and F&B but with tight safety measures in place
- cash-flow should be an operational concern, not just the job of the financial manager
- leaning on trusted supplier relationships for support goes a long way in times like these when payments often need to be delayed
- SMEs with a good recovery plan are more likely to secure a loan from their bank at this time
- small businesses may be able to lean on force majeure claims if directly impacted by the Covid-19.
If your business has been impacted and you would like to get in touch with any of the speakers, please contact [email protected]
This podcast is conducted in English.