It is estimated that around 65 billion broiler chickens are consumed by humans every year. Yet, how much do we really know about them? Today’s guest is doing fascinating and important research in animal behaviour, particularly chickens. Dr. Oluwaseun Sera Iyasere is a specialist in Animal Behaviour and Welfare and a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Animal Physiology, at the Federal University of Agriculture in Abeokuta, Nigeria (FUNAAB). She teaches courses in several subjects including Comparative Animal Behavior, Environmental Physiology, and Animal Welfare. She has more than 45 published journal articles to her credit including several relating to heat stress on chickens. She will share with us several interesting studies regarding chicken behaviour so we can understand these important animals a little better.
1. Iyasere, O.S., Edwards, S.A., Bateson, M., Mitchell, M and Guy, J.H. (2017). Validation of an intramuscularly-implanted microchip and a surface infrared thermometer to estimate core body temperature in broiler chickens exposed to heat stress. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 133:1-8.
2. Iyasere, O.S., Beard, A.P., Guy, J.H. and Bateson, M. (2017). Elevated levels of stress hormone, corticosterone, cause ‘pessimistic’ judgment bias in broiler chickens. Scientific Reports, 7 (1):1-12 https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-07040-y.
3. Iyasere, O.S., Oyeniran, V.J., Oyawale, O., Adeniyi, D. and Uyanga, V.A. (2018). Social facilitation between commercial broilers and Nigerian indigenous chicks and its effect on their welfare. Agricultura Tropica et Subtropica, 51(4): 139-146. http://www.agricultura.mendelu.cz/wcd/w-rek-agriculturaits/fulltexts/ats_2018_4_iyasere.pdf.
4. Iyasere, O.S., Ajayi, O.D., Alade, S.O. Akinbode, V.O. (2019). Behaviour, physiology and body mass of Nigerian indigenous hens during brooding. Agricultura Tropica et Subtropica, 52(2):43-47. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2478/ats-2019-0005
5. Iyasere, O.S., Durosaro, S.O., Oke, O.E., Omotosho, T.F., Salako, M.A., Oyeniran, V.J., Oyetunji, D.E and Daramola, J.O. (2020). Behavioural responses of two breeds of domestic chicks to feed and alarm call playback. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 233: 105153 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2020.105153