The Leader Learner Podcast
S01E11 The Is Money Dirty Episode
June 20, 2022
Theresa Destrebecq & Vincent Musolino
- Two kinds of money -- those that fulfill our needs, and those that we think will fulfill our needs, but don't.
- Indigenous tribes that don't use money. Question of whether it is essential?
- "Money isn't the problem. Money isn't good or bad. Money itself doesn't have power or not have power. It is our interpretation of money, our interaction with it, where the real mischief is and where we find the real opportunity for self-discovery and personal discovery.
- The tool doesn't have power.
- When you have money, you can make different choices.
- Yes, you can have power without money. (ex Rosa Parks)
- Is causation, money then power, or power than money?
- Power on a spectrum in line with money.
- Choice as a sense of power
- Voting with your feet
- Difference between local and global economics - buying local and the sense of community that comes with it
- We have a role in how the money is distributed.
- Supporting the local economy and local employment
- The 3 Toxic Myths of Scarcity : #1 There is not enough, #2 More is better, #3 That's the Way it Is
- Experiencing companies wanting more (people, skills, objectives, etc.)
- Band-aids as the only support because 'That's Just the Way It is."
- The relationship between value and money. Does the price determine value?
- Value-based versus time-based pricing
- Matching your pricing to regional values and the market
- Value can differ even if price is the same (too many external factors)
- Price has to be high enough to be taken seriously
- Using internal resources to respond to a scarcity of external resources
- Support becomes more apparent when times are scarce
- Look for new relationships/resources when times are scarce
- Limits and constraints create innovation
- We often have resources within us, that we forget about because we often think of assets outside of ourselves
- If you don't have time, what do you have?
- Spending matching values
- Money being like water
- Charity being a redistribution mechanism
- If money doesn't come to you, where will it go? Is this place "better"?