S02E06 The Simplify Episode
November 21, 2022
Theresa Destrebecq & Vincent Musolino
- If you could take a week-long vacation anywhere in the world by yourself, where would you go?
- Essentialism isn't minimalism
- Being intentional about how we spend our time
- How do we decide what we take on and what we don't?
- Useful time - how to determine what is useful or not?
- Useful doesn't always mean fun
- What's the difference between being useful and essential?
- 3 minimal criteria for saying yes to things, and 3 ideal criteria to saying yes
- Essential intent aligned with purpose, big why, just cause
- If we are saying no the minimum, are we taking away time to do something ideal?
- Different activities can work in concert with one another toward your essential intent
- How often we say yes to be nice or to be liked? How respectful is that to ourselves or others?
- The essential intent is the priority
- We get pulled into the idea that everything is a priority
- We take on other people's urgencies that aren't ours
- Taking on people's problems isn't helping, it's enabling
- Taking on other's work is also about control
- Consultants come in to solve a company's problem
- Training, Coaching, Consulting are not the same
- Separate the decision from the relationship
- Say no to the problem, not the person
- Don't say "NO", say "Yes, and...", "Yes, however...", or "Yes, no"
- What gets in the way of people saying "no"? Fear, People Pleasing
- The 5 drivers of behavior -- be strong, be perfect, be quick, please others, and try hard
- No limit to the relationship, but a limit to the request you can ask of me
- Choices being actions versus things
- Is free will a thing? Are we fully determined?
- If there's no free will, there's no responsibility
- We don't make choices, we just act
- Creating an ensemble of activities that align in one direction
- We don't have to make things as complicated as we do
- DESA - Design, Eliminate, Simplify, Automate
- Doing less and still providing the same value
- "Reverse Pilot" - take away something you are doing and see what happens
More yummy content on leaderlearner.fm