S02E13 The What's His Name Again Episode (with Dave Mills)
March 06, 2023
Theresa Destrebecq & Vincent Musolino
Dave Mills Bio:
With over 25 years experience in the learning and development industry. In that time he has facilitated internationally and covered a wide number of subjects from driver training on forklift trucks to facilitating senior leaders to flourish through change.
He is currently a senior consultant and SME in the People Development and Effectiveness Centre of Expertise for Kantar (the world’s leading data, insights and consulting company).
In his many previous lives he trained as a horticulturist, spent years as a night club and mobile DJ, built a career in retail manager, was a charity and corporate event MC and compere and is a trained hypnotherapist.
He lives in Leamington Spa in the Uk with his wife. He has 2 children, is a ‘born-again’ gardener, has recently started writing poetry, still DJs occasionally, loves reading and wants to be an archaeologist when he retires!
- Have you ever won a contest or competition?
- Fortitude in the face of adversity
- You do have control over how you respond to situations, even if you don't have control of the situation itself
- Are you freeing yourself or oppressing yourself?
- Critique of stoicism as the philosophy of the powerful people
- You can't make people do things, you can only empathize with their heart
- Don't worry about what people think
- Polarization exists because we aren't listening to one another
- Time and energy spent trying to control what we can't
- Accepting the reality doesn't mean that we don't want to change
- The space between stimulus and response
- Amygdala hijack is a metaphor, not a fact
- We can only do what we can do
- Not being pulled like a puppy, mastering your control
- Why don't we go to the source - the original philosophers?
- Urgent/Important Matrix (The Eisenhower Matrix)
- Leaders need to have a philosophical mindset and create meaning for employees
- Philosophy is hiding in blind sight in today's leadership
- The power in going to the original source
- How much gets lost from the original source
- Philosophy is the search for knowledge and wisdom
- Trust the process - follow what's in one book to find your next book
- Read it well and go back and read it again
- Build your map around the terrain of each book
- There is no behind other than the one you sit on
Enchiridion by Epictetus
Courage Under Fire, James Stockdale
- Jordon Peterson
- Ken Blanchard
- Stephen Covey
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
- Ryan Holiday
- The Nature of Things
The Subtle Art of Not Giving and F*ck and Everything is F*cked by Mark Manson
- Brené Brown
Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey
- Theory U by Otto Scharmer
- Viktor Frankl
- The Biography of Cato the Younger
More yummy content on leaderlearner.fm